(AP) Dealing with M8s

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SilusCrow
x4

(AP) Dealing with M8s

Post by SilusCrow » Tue, 6. Nov 12, 08:03

So I've run into some...issues with dealing with M8s recently. Maybe it was my ship selection, maybe it was my tactics, I dunno.

Ship used: Yaki Akurai with FAAs
Target: Pirate M8/Terran M8 (Different targets)
Attempts: 3
Deaths: 3

Each time I set my turrets on either "Attack Enemies" or "Missiles Only", thought the least time was on "Missile Defense", and each time I got ripped to shreds with Tomahawks. The only time I managed to drop one was in my Cobra with a barrage of Hammers to ensure total destruction.

For bigger ships, how does one go about going toe to toe with a M8 with no missiles in the player's cargo?

Draekros
xr

Post by Draekros » Tue, 6. Nov 12, 08:13

Missile Defense Mosquito (MDM)... enough said. Never ever leave home without it! Of course you need to make sure you keep a reasonable supply of mossies on board to shoot down those tommys... it's not flawless, but it helps a hell of a lot!

Manks
x3tc

Post by Manks » Tue, 6. Nov 12, 10:15

Missile defense on the turrets is also a good way to go, although you might want to customize the turret priorities as well (gameplay menu, I think?). My point-defense ones tend to go after missiles first, then fighters, then a bunch of stuff that I copied from the other commands.

Even with MDM and a good turret setup, an occasional missile might slip through. The "nuclear" option for dealing with M8s is to lay down a stream of fire in front of them and snag a tomahawk on its way out. PBGs are perhaps ideal for this.

jack775544
x4

Post by jack775544 » Tue, 6. Nov 12, 10:50

PSG's are the ultimate missile killers but that Boron trader might not appreciate it ... :roll:
I usually use PBE's for anti missile duties, as I find they can shoot down missiles more relaibly then FAA's.
1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Tue, 6. Nov 12, 11:23

MDM + PBC set to missile defense. Did you know your ship can use the most overpowered weapon, PBC, in game?
I live in my Vidar.

Laser hit efficiency: 97% @190,499 shots
Missile hit efficiency: 97% @4,204 missiles fired

SilusCrow
x4

Post by SilusCrow » Tue, 6. Nov 12, 11:30

Lone Jedi wrote:MDM + PBC set to missile defense. Did you know your ship can use the most overpowered weapon, PBC, in game?
Yes indeed. Getting them is a pain however, and the AI turret targeting leaves much to be desired.

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Tue, 6. Nov 12, 11:40

SilusCrow wrote:
Lone Jedi wrote:MDM + PBC set to missile defense. Did you know your ship can use the most overpowered weapon, PBC, in game?
and the AI turret targeting leaves much to be desired.
Apparently you've never tried it. PBC turrets are among the fastest targeting in game.
I live in my Vidar.

Laser hit efficiency: 97% @190,499 shots
Missile hit efficiency: 97% @4,204 missiles fired

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”