System requirements

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

memxcom
x2

Re: System requirements

Post by memxcom » Wed, 24. Oct 18, 12:43

Games are slowly starting to use more cores, too many variables as you know, nobody can really argue with Ryzen CPUs with regards to value for money/performance, you should also have a upgrade path to Ryzen 3xxx series CPUs next year with 470/450 boards.

We just need confirmation from AMD as to when etc...End of the day with regards to X4, we just need to wait for official benchmarks etc... Personally I don't buy a CPU based on one game even it is X4 , but longevity, value/performance of CPU etc...Also remember some boards/chipsets offer better upgrade paths with regards to CPU as well.

ballti
x4

Post by ballti » Wed, 24. Oct 18, 12:55

Alci: that was triger for 9900k
Tharaphita wrote:
Wed, 17. Oct 18, 20:10
Im really looking into AMD Ryzen 2700X since i want to support them for stepping up in CPU arena and forcing Intel to raise their bar as well. Before ryzen intel last 5 year progress was depressing. Is there any info how OC-d Ryzen 2700X will work compared to Intel latest series?
Wargasm

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Wed, 24. Oct 18, 16:35

vukica wrote:
Wed, 24. Oct 18, 12:31
The word "probably" is probably misused in this thread.

There's so many variables to multi-core games such as X4, that I don't think even the "single-core" score is particularly relevant.
Actually. There are a few things we know for sure (so no probably's or maybe's ;) ):
- The threading profile of X4 will be similar to XR
- The threading profile is:
-> Thread for universe simulation (Extremely important and taxing, gets more taxing as there are more things in the universe)
-> Thread for rendering (Extremely important as well, no idea on the performance drain)
--> Reliant on the universe simulation thread, thus may be locked by it
--> Since this thread can and will be locked by the universe simulation thread, the universe simulation thread is more important. I cannot imagine the render thread blocking the universe simulation thread.
- Threads for tasks (These will not be that high in demand and probably will not be enough to stress out a single core, yeah I used probably :P )

This should leave enough room windows, drivers and other things running in the back ground on a 4 core system.

Now the universe thread being the most important, high demanding and blocking the second most important high demand thread. I think it's safe to say single core performance is one of if not the most important factor (for the CPU)! Apart from it having at least 4 cores that is.

Sources:
- viewtopic.php?f=146&t=397634&p=4692161& ... n#p4692161
- viewtopic.php?f=146&t=396144&p=4735105& ... n#p4735105
Save game editor XR and CAT/DAT Extractor
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.

If anyone is interested in a new save game editor for X4 and would like to contribute to the creation of one let me know. I do not have sufficient time to create it alone, but if there are enough people who want it and want to contribute we might be able to set something up.

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Wed, 24. Oct 18, 18:09

I hope my i5-4670K + 16GB DDR3 will make it… i planned to upgrade my graphic (GTX950 at this time) by a 1070Ti or 1080Ti... But I can't aford a new motherboard and a new CPU + RAM ...
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

Kpla Keltak

Post by Kpla Keltak » Wed, 24. Oct 18, 19:40

Doesn’t look like I will be getting x4 after all.

I bought an MSI GL72 6QE 17” Gaming Laptop last year.

Just looked at min specs and the NVidea GTX 950 M is way below the min spec.

To all you with high spec machines... enjoy X4.

I don’t have room for a desktop system.
I will have to wait a few more years for my daughter to move out. Then I will build myself a decent games machine.( Tower based system )
SPA - Split Paranid Alliance
Death to Teladi and Boron
Enslave the rest

memxcom
x2

Post by memxcom » Wed, 24. Oct 18, 21:11

Kpla Keltak wrote:
Wed, 24. Oct 18, 19:40
Doesn’t look like I will be getting x4 after all.

I bought an MSI GL72 6QE 17” Gaming Laptop last year.

Just looked at min specs and the NVidea GTX 950 M is way below the min spec.

To all you with high spec machines... enjoy X4.

I will have to wait a few more years for my daughter to move out. Then I will build myself a decent games machine.( Tower based system )

Make space sell some furniture or something. I can't believe you can't find room for a small midi tower system, always a way unless you live in a tent ;) , even then that is possible if it is large enough :) .

However probably take about a year or so for X4 to mature and get most of the bugs out and be optimised to the max, not to mention DLC content etc so you might be better of waiting for it to mature.
I've decided to stick with my old system until the next gen of Ryzens appear next year, give X4 time to mature when I upgrade my hardware etc, however I'll buy it next month to get to know the gameplay, changes etc...

Great we have Steam cloud saves :) .

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Wed, 24. Oct 18, 23:07

Kpla Keltak wrote:
Wed, 24. Oct 18, 19:40
I have a i7-7700k water cooled, 32GB RAM, 1TB 960Pro and a 1080ti water cooled all in a HTPC case (https://www.megekko.nl/product/0/937036 ... 4097fff7d2)

It's next to my receiver and is the same size. Radiators mounted behind it. Doesn't need to be big if you design it properly!

On a side note I think there are cards that plug into a laptop with just the GPU now a days. Although I doubt the GPU will be your biggest issue.
Save game editor XR and CAT/DAT Extractor
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.

If anyone is interested in a new save game editor for X4 and would like to contribute to the creation of one let me know. I do not have sufficient time to create it alone, but if there are enough people who want it and want to contribute we might be able to set something up.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 25. Oct 18, 00:22

External GPUs cost a fortune and do not even cover the actual GPU that needs to be mounted into it. Just the case (the "eGPU" - not to be confused with the GPU itself) costs minimum 300 bucks and way up.

I was considering buying one but honestly, even with the cheapest option, it cost just as much to buy a decent second PC.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Rockthorne
x4

Post by Rockthorne » Thu, 25. Oct 18, 09:33

I Asked my Hardware dealer what he thinks on how good X4: Foundation will run on my System (by showing him the min/best requirements of X4: Foundations)
And he sayed: "It will run on high Settings good"

My spec:

Amd Ryzen 5 2600
16GB Ram 2666Mhz
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB by MSI

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 3502vs3955
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/N ... 3609vs3639 Best Bench MSI!
Last edited by Rockthorne on Thu, 25. Oct 18, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Thu, 25. Oct 18, 09:54

These are pretty much the min specs, not sure this equals high settings.
I would take the advice of an hardware dealer that does not tested the game with a bit of caution.
Right on commander !

Rockthorne
x4

Post by Rockthorne » Thu, 25. Oct 18, 10:07

Geek wrote:
Thu, 25. Oct 18, 09:54
I would take the advice of an hardware dealer that does not tested the game with a bit of caution.
That Guy is not a seller, he is Technology/RMA

I think he know what he does, i believe him!

ballti
x4

Post by ballti » Thu, 25. Oct 18, 10:15

Tamina wrote:
Thu, 25. Oct 18, 00:22
External GPUs cost a fortune and do not even cover the actual GPU that needs to be mounted into it. Just the case (the "eGPU" - not to be confused with the GPU itself) costs minimum 300 bucks and way up.

I was considering buying one but honestly, even with the cheapest option, it cost just as much to buy a decent second PC.
Looks like NON laptop designer never see this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5xvwPa3r7M
Another crime: actualy we are talking just about extra evarage powersupply + simple case whit few connectors for gpu + laptop whit external full PCIe connector.. so simple.
Wargasm

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Thu, 25. Oct 18, 15:50

Rockthorne wrote:
Thu, 25. Oct 18, 10:07
Geek wrote:
Thu, 25. Oct 18, 09:54
That Guy is not a seller, he is Technology/RMA

I think he know what he does, i believe him!
Everything else runs on max (1080p) without any doubt. He simply picked popular and value for money parts.

For X4? We will see. Considering the popularity of your GPU and CPU chances are good that the game is optimized for your configuration.
Ich bin für die Einführung von Ironie- und Sarkasmustags.
Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 25. Oct 18, 17:43

Rockthorne wrote:
Thu, 25. Oct 18, 09:33
I Asked my Hardware dealer what he thinks on how good X4: Foundation will run on my System (by showing him the min/best requirements of X4: Foundations)
And he sayed: "It will run on high Settings good"

My spec:

Amd Ryzen 5 2600
16GB Ram 2666Mhz
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB by MSI

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 3502vs3955
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/N ... 3609vs3639 Best Bench MSI!
I wouldn't trust the hardware dealer - all previous X-Game were always very demanding mainly on CPU side.
This is not (regular) AAA pew pew pew shooter that only need to calculate 16 players. It need to calulate thousands of ships, hundrends of stations and production lines, milion units of resources and do this in real time while rendering your modest fleet (several capships and bunch of fighters) in combat.

I'd say it could run OK on medium, but I'm not sure about high.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Thu, 25. Oct 18, 18:15

Let's be clear, if your CPU isn't powerful enough to run the universe simulation, then turning down graphical settings is NOT going to affect that at all. You will still be bottlenecked by your CPU if that is the case, so you can't just slap a beefy GTX-2080 in a machine with a crappy 2-core CPU and expect that your game experience will drastically improve, it will still be limited by the CPU.

It does annoy me though, when we see "requirements" listed all over the place for games, but there is absolutely never any mention of WHAT you are going to achieve with that setup. Is it the requirements for running 60hz @ 1080p? 100hz @ 4k? There needs to be a baseline understanding of what is trying to be achieved by both interested parties before we can start to understand the implications of the actual required hardware itself.

It's currently my assumption that "recommended" settings are likely to obtain 60hz @ 1080p smoothly and comfortably. That seems to be the current baseline (thanks to console peasants :P). If you are hitting "minimum" requirements, it means you will be able to run the game but there is no guarantee how much of a framerate you will get, especially if you're trying to push higher resolutions. It could be anywhere from 60 down to about 20 (as a guess as to what is considered "acceptable" for low spec machines).

It would be really nice if game requirements were written more in this kind of format but I realise that is a chunk of extra work:
Baseline Requirements
Hard Disk Space: bla
Supported Operating Systems: bla

Recommended System Requirements For 1920x1080, 144 FPS, Ultra Preset Gameplay
GPU: bla
CPU: bla
RAM: bla

Recommended System Requirements For 2560x1440, 60 FPS, Medium Preset Gameplay

Recommended System Requirements For 4K, 60 FPS, High Preset Gameplay
Admiral of the Fleet.

SparvieroGed
x4

Post by SparvieroGed » Fri, 26. Oct 18, 14:14

I read the official post about have 4 core cpu with higher clock vs 6 core cpu lowe clock....but I didn't understand well...

4 core i7 7700hq 2.8 ghz will be better than the new 6 core i7 8750h 2.2 ghz?

I also read about using less core on the 8750h but with higher clock than 2.2 ghz...but I didn't understand well this too...

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Fri, 26. Oct 18, 14:44

you have listed the minimum cpu as Processor: Intel i5-4590 2.7GHz that cpu is listed as Intel Core i5-4590 @ 3.30GHz up to Up to 3.7 GHz is this the right minimum spec cpu ?
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Fri, 26. Oct 18, 17:11

Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Fri, 26. Oct 18, 14:44
you have listed the minimum cpu as Processor: Intel i5-4590 2.7GHz that cpu is listed as Intel Core i5-4590 @ 3.30GHz up to Up to 3.7 GHz is this the right minimum spec cpu ?
Heh good catch. Anywhere else than Egosoft it is listed at 3.3 but here it is at 2.7.

Although it is usually better to go with the recommended settings. 4.0 GHz is not too far fetched if they make the world big.

I have an i7-4790 at 3.6 GHz and honestly I'm a bit concerned for launch, it will be a year before they finish their usual optimization cleanup.

Ronald Sandoval
x3tc

Post by Ronald Sandoval » Fri, 26. Oct 18, 17:16

csaba wrote:
Fri, 26. Oct 18, 17:11
Ronald Sandoval wrote:
Fri, 26. Oct 18, 14:44
Heh good catch. Anywhere else than Egosoft it is listed at 3.3 but here it is at 2.7.

Although it is usually better to go with the recommended settings. 4.0 GHz is not too far fetched if they make the world big.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp ... 40+3.30GHz

i7-4790 Turbo Speed: 4.0 GHz
GA-7N400 PRO2
2x512MB PC3200 in dual channel
geforce 6600GT
XP3200

ubica

Post by ubica » Fri, 26. Oct 18, 17:29

So...I have one machine that I currently use for gaming which has AMD fx 8320 (8 cores)and 16 Gb ram, and it wont be enough according to stipulated min specs. Works fine for everything else but X4...different story.
I also have HP Z620 with dual Xeon 2650 (16 physical cores 32 threads) and 32 Gb ram. Would I be better of using that one for X4?. It has lower clock speed though. In both cases it would be SSD system drive and Rx580 gpu.
Thoughts?

Return to “X4: Foundations”