Thinking of doing a new playthrough (last played split vendetta) Need some TLDR

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

lordmuck
x4

Thinking of doing a new playthrough (last played split vendetta) Need some TLDR

Post by lordmuck » Tue, 6. Dec 22, 08:10

Hey,

It's been quite some time since I played X4, sorry to say I got a little toxic and salty with the AI / tedious ways to set up orders, fleet-related frustrations (ai) and a number of other things so I just walked away from the game :( which is a shame as iv been a fan of the X series since x2.

I just bought the last DLC, having said that I hardly progressed through vendetta when it came out. I still have not booted the game up and thought Id drop some questions here first. (will most probably be using the public beta version)

1, Where can I find the stations I created from previous save games to use as blueprints in a new game? Please don't tell me I need to load up old saves :( I still have them but I'm sure ill run into issues (never modded)

2, I read there were custom starts? Can I start off as some scrapper who inherited the PHQ and SETA?? xD I hate to do that damn quest line for the 20th time and farming up SETA parts kills me. Also if I can, would starting with one of the scrap cube maker ships be too much (op start?) or a crappy tug ship? What is your fun way of starting out? I was thinking of a bit of RP some lowly grease-stained scrapper that hates the PAR trying to make ends meet suddenly snaps and wants to take on the Xverse to make a name for him/herself or gets sucked into the plots. (any good starting locations for this sort of start?)

3, I am assuming the money-making early game has not changed much and still assuming that getting "decent" 2-3 star pilots is a royal p.i.t.a ? Grab some miners get the captain a level and swap the captain out to a trader?

4, Assuming that claiming bailed ships still need a damn pilot and cannot autopillok and limp its way to a dock ye? But can the new little scrap tug shippy things toe them to a dock? (save me some time from trying this out, disappointment and frustration plz xD) This would fit in the RP idea I had above

5, Are there any must-do plot lines early ASAP for the rewards or be locked out of something/limited time ship acquisition or missions that could lock you out of getting some good freebie ships/tec to build at player wharfs etc?

Lastly any tips/suggestions/must-do and don'ts until.... is welcome. I may start uploading some gameplay like before with some crazy plans or ideas xD so ill make sure to credit and all that good stuff :)

Raptor34
x4

Re: Thinking of doing a new playthrough (last played split vendetta) Need some TLDR

Post by Raptor34 » Tue, 6. Dec 22, 08:28

1. Yes, load up your old saves.
2. There are budgeted and custom game starts, budget keeps it vanilla but you can only get stuff up to a budget, just do it and you'll understand. You can load up your old vanilla saves and achievements in that save should increase your budget, not too certain how it works exactly but that's the gist of it. Custom game starts marks your save as modified but you can do whatever you want. Start with an Asgard? No problem. Note you can actually do the exact same thing for both game starts, but you probably won't have the budget in budgeted.
3. With terraforming, you can now train pilots at the PHQ, if you do a custom start with all teleportation research done, this can be setup pretty fast.
4. Scrap cubes only.
5. I don't think there are only. Only that if you ever do the Yaki storyline, you'll want to rush the end part once you actually reach their base if you don't want to risk them getting blown up. There are more nuances but generally that would work out. ToA gives out some limited ships but I don't think any of those are actually at risk of perma-loss.

lordmuck
x4

Re: Thinking of doing a new playthrough (last played split vendetta) Need some TLDR

Post by lordmuck » Tue, 6. Dec 22, 09:06

oh I see, thanks Raptor. Guess ill do the plain old boring start as I didn't wish for the modified tag tbh it feels "cheatyish" when I see that. Pray that the old saves are ok xD I assume its self explanatory to save the stations as a BP for other saves. Guess I need to read up on terraforming and the Yaki stuff hopefully there is a post around here on the forum. Its an epic shame about the little tug ships :<

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 6. Dec 22, 12:08

1. Old saves should be safe to load. Exporting station BP is straighforward, IIRC.
2. Budgeted Start is "unmodified". Load of old save supposedly adds its "achievements" into budget, including completed plots.
3. I did not need decent pilots for making money, but I did start with vendetta ...
4. It is easy to transfer any crewmember into any other position. I have ship full of crew somewhere and can tell anyone "Work as captain in that new capture"; transfer is near instant across entire Galaxy.
5. Plots are optional, IMHO. Alas, terraforming requires a bit of a plot or two.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Tue, 6. Dec 22, 12:23

Thanks jlehtone, ill check out that budgeted start after loading up my oldest / longest save I guess

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 6. Dec 22, 18:37

So to get blueprint from other saved games into a new game, load up the save, and save the station layout. When you start a new game, the saved station layout will be available in the new game.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 6. Dec 22, 18:42

That's a construction plan; a blueprint is something completely different. Better not to confuse newer players by using the wrong terminology. ;)

Baddieus
x4

Post by Baddieus » Tue, 6. Dec 22, 19:24

5, Are there any must-do plot lines early ASAP for the rewards
I wouldn't call this a must-do, but if you select the pirate start that has you in a jail cell instead of a ship, then you can go straight into the Empyrean Curs plot line which can result in you having a one of a kind Teladi ship called "The Raven". For a late game reward this ship is not really anything special, but in the early game it most certainly has it benefits.

=Baddieus=

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Wed, 7. Dec 22, 06:40

Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 6. Dec 22, 18:37
So to get blueprint from other saved games into a new game, load up the save, and save the station layout. When you start a new game, the saved station layout will be available in the new game.
Yeah got that all sorted, somehow in a new game I'm still seeing other saved partial builds that I worked on ages ago (not exported), its fine tho. Would love be able to have more character space for naming tho :/ as I tend to use the production modules for names, spaceweed x6 majasnails xN majadust xN etc etc, its quite limited. Also how the heck do we still only have 10 save slots, surly we could have profiles now and unlimited save slots per profile??? :( I have to delete saves which really sucks
CBJ wrote:
Tue, 6. Dec 22, 18:42
That's a construction plan; a blueprint is something completely different. Better not to confuse newer players by using the wrong terminology. ;)
Yes totally agree with you there sorry. As you are here is there any means to create a shopping list in the game for blueprints and the locations to buy them without having to check the planner every time xD ?
Baddieus wrote:
Tue, 6. Dec 22, 19:24
5, Are there any must-do plot lines early ASAP for the rewards
I wouldn't call this a must-do, but if you select the pirate start that has you in a jail cell instead of a ship, then you can go straight into the Empyrean Curs plot line which can result in you having a one of a kind Teladi ship called "The Raven". For a late game reward this ship is not really anything special, but in the early game it most certainly has it benefits.

=Baddieus=
sounds neat. I am thinking of doing a custom start, PHQ + research sorted + SETA + 200k Dunno what starting ship so as not to be OP. Ill check Roguey's site about the raven sounds interesting.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 7. Dec 22, 22:59

lordmuck wrote:
Tue, 6. Dec 22, 08:10
1, Where can I find the stations I created from previous save games to use as blueprints in a new game? Please don't tell me I need to load up old saves I still have them but I'm sure ill run into issues (never modded)
They should still be available as blueprints from the blueprint selection as they are stored in a separate, account wide, blueprint file.

You can always load up old saves just to save the blueprints to your blueprint file. Even not-modified saves from release day 1.00 are still supported, although the experience might not be exactly the same as a more recently started save with DLCs.
lordmuck wrote:
2, I read there were custom starts? Can I start off as some scrapper who inherited the PHQ and SETA?? xD I hate to do that damn quest line for the 20th time and farming up SETA parts kills me. Also if I can, would starting with one of the scrap cube maker ships be too much (op start?) or a crappy tug ship? What is your fun way of starting out? I was thinking of a bit of RP some lowly grease-stained scrapper that hates the PAR trying to make ends meet suddenly snaps and wants to take on the Xverse to make a name for him/herself or gets sucked into the plots. (any good starting locations for this sort of start?)
Yes you can do this. You can even start out with storylines completed that you completed in previous saves. The custom start choice unlock progress does require that you load up existing saves once so that it gets recorded to an account wide file.

You can also use an unbudgeted custom start which allows you pretty much infinite resources at the start and to enable story outcomes that you have not yet earned. However this will mark your save as modified and might be able to create unintended experiences and interactions.
lordmuck wrote:
3, I am assuming the money-making early game has not changed much and still assuming that getting "decent" 2-3 star pilots is a royal p.i.t.a ? Grab some miners get the captain a level and swap the captain out to a trader?
Current meta start is nowhere near as grindy.

Sell the always spawning free unclaimed ships -> build mining trade station -> assign miners to mine and trade for station -> repeat around the universe -> do whatever, you have enough automatic income at this stage that the limit is your imagination

Auto mining has been nerfed heavily. However, you can now build mining trade stations to effectively remove the skill requirements from auto mining by shoving them entirely onto easy to level managers. Silicon is really inefficient to mine, but still has good return on investment if given enough time. Once you have a decent passive income from the mining trade stations you can consider diversifying your portfolio into trading container wares (to generate more mineable demand) or your own manufacturing to cut out middle people in the production chains.

At start crystal mining is still considered the best return on time investment activity the player can do. However there are over 10 million worth of unclaimed ships that always spawn at fixed locations every playthrough which can be stripped and sold to give all the money needed to jump immediately into mining, trading or even manufacturing. Once you have some passive income, you can invest it back into scaling up and start exponential growth.

Technically the best start involves boarding NPC ships and selling them for multiple million each. Some people over on the discord server have become so proficient at this that within 2 hours of game start they can have multiple L or bigger ships including an Asgard.
lordmuck wrote:
4, Assuming that claiming bailed ships still need a damn pilot and cannot autopillok and limp its way to a dock ye? But can the new little scrap tug shippy things toe them to a dock? (save me some time from trying this out, disappointment and frustration plz xD) This would fit in the RP idea I had above
Such damaged bailed ships do not limp, they always fly at full speed with full flight performance. X4 does not have hull damage slowing down ships like X3 did.

L and XL ships might limp if their engines are damaged or even be unable to move if the engines are destroyed. The engines will still take a while to rebuild but can be repaired faster once they can limp back to an auxiliary ship for repairs. There is currently a bug that means that boarded ships with repair drones do not use the repair drones to improve repair speed, making initial post boarding repairs much slower than intended. This bug should be fixed in a future update.
lordmuck wrote:
5, Are there any must-do plot lines early ASAP for the rewards or be locked out of something/limited time ship acquisition or missions that could lock you out of getting some good freebie ships/tec to build at player wharfs etc?
Only major one is the Fires of Defeat game start storyline where you personally must destroy over half the marked ships before other NPCs (Xenon) do otherwise you do not get the achievement.

The Yaki storyline of Cradle of Humanity is also potentially failable at some points if TER decides they are Xenon and sends their Asguard to eliminate them.

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Thu, 8. Dec 22, 13:27

Ye for sure piracy IMO is a very nice way to get moving, get some marauder bails and move up xD :twisted:

Ye I know small ships don't limp xD I was just hoping that something was implemented to just autopillock it to the closest wharf without a pilot even at half speed as a con if a con is needed.

So fires of defeat as a game start, but what about the custom start? doubt it would affect it?. Guess ill do a custom and trigger the yaki line

Thanks Imperial, its been nice seeing some old names still active in the forum :)

Eyeklops
x4

Post by Eyeklops » Thu, 8. Dec 22, 19:12

Imperial Good wrote:
Wed, 7. Dec 22, 22:59
Technically the best start involves boarding NPC ships and selling them for multiple million each. Some people over on the discord server have become so proficient at this that within 2 hours of game start they can have multiple L or bigger ships including an Asgard.
PIO Freelancer Katana. Look for these ships in PIO space when doing the Terran or Segaris starts. Knock their shields off and shoot them until 60~70% hull. Change to only firing a single weapon and keep the shields down. Bail chance only happens every 30 seconds so don't wail on them constantly or you'll blow them up. Ideally just chip a bit of hull away to trigger the chance on 30 second intervals. Some take longer than others depending upon the pilots/crew morale level. You'll know when the bail chance triggers if they bail (duh) or if they send you a comms message pleading for their life.

It's easy to make millions quickly and they bail reliably with the starter ship loadout. Once the first Katana is sold use the money to trick out the start ship to make bailing even easier.

In this area you'll also get some special "gems". Yaki Kuraokami corvettes and Moreya light fighters make an appearance in the first hour. These are much tougher opponents and are harder to make bail (especially the Kuraokami) but they are worth the effort. On my last fresh start I managed snag 2 Kuras and a Moreya. The Moreya is such a good ship I spend most of my time in it. Purple modded it's a beast.

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Thu, 8. Dec 22, 20:40

Eyeklops wrote:
Thu, 8. Dec 22, 19:12
Imperial Good wrote:
Wed, 7. Dec 22, 22:59
PIO Freelancer Katana. Look for these ships in PIO space when doing the Terran or Segaris starts. Knock their shields off and shoot them until 60~70% hull. Change to only firing a single weapon and keep the shields down. Bail chance only happens every 30 seconds so don't wail on them constantly or you'll blow them up. Ideally just chip a bit of hull away to trigger the chance on 30 second intervals. Some take longer than others depending upon the pilots/crew morale level. You'll know when the bail chance triggers if they bail (duh) or if they send you a comms message pleading for their life.

It's easy to make millions quickly and they bail reliably with the starter ship loadout. Once the first Katana is sold use the money to trick out the start ship to make bailing even easier.

In this area you'll also get some special "gems". Yaki Kuraokami corvettes and Moreya light fighters make an appearance in the first hour. These are much tougher opponents and are harder to make bail (especially the Kuraokami) but they are worth the effort. On my last fresh start I managed snag 2 Kuras and a Moreya. The Moreya is such a good ship I spend most of my time in it. Purple modded it's a beast.
Sounds neat :D ty

Return to “X4: Foundations”