"Bulk" transfer crew between ships?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gabeux
x4

"Bulk" transfer crew between ships?

Post by Gabeux » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 04:57

Hello!

I finally got started on capping L ships. My problem now is that all my 20+ marines are still inside the captured ship, and I can't see any quick way to transfer them to my other ships.

Is the only way available really going to the Full Crew List and going into Comms with each marine, then telling him to transfer over? That's a LOT of mouseclicks!

crazyinside
x4

Re: "Bulk" transfer crew between ships?

Post by crazyinside » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 19:01

I am interested in this too. It is really annoying to move crew one by one with the buggy "work somewhere else" feature....

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 19:05

+1 - I'm avoiding boarding action untill this will be adressed.

At least in X-Rebirth you had buld transfer of Marines with Marine offficer.

Drockt1
x4

Post by Drockt1 » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 19:56

+1 also.

Ive gotten into boarding and realized there is no good way to move marines back to my ship after taking another. You can do it by taking both ships to the same dock, then moving the marines one by one. You can also do it by having a small S ship with the most crew space, fly back and forth and dock with your shops, move marines one by one, go back.. till 40+ marines get moved. This is all massively too tedious and I have just been buying new marines instead. I never gain any skill this way but it is at least playable. Please allow marines to transfer from the bulk transfer menu or some other way.

Even if you add it to the bulk transfer menu we would still need to go to the same dock. So maybe instead add a way for the marines to "teleport" back. OR make one of the small courier ships that the argon have a much larger crew size to act as a go between people transporter(20-40 crew).

InstinctXIV
x4

Post by InstinctXIV » Mon, 24. Dec 18, 19:38

This please :cry:

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Mon, 24. Dec 18, 19:43

been asked for from 1.2 . But +1 for sure

TinkerToy
x4

Post by TinkerToy » Mon, 24. Dec 18, 19:49

Would love to be able to assign marines to "squads", then I could just move the squads or comm the squad leader.

Xmaestro
xr

Post by Xmaestro » Mon, 24. Dec 18, 20:03

Oh yes. THIS please!
----------------------
Since 2004 (X2), capping ships (without the whole boarding with trained marines complexity) is still my favorite thing to do. :)
----------------------

darthraven
x4

Post by darthraven » Mon, 24. Dec 18, 20:37

Another thing not even looked at for 1.5... maybe 2.0? but don't hold your breath, after all this was a "great" launch for an X game as Bernd likes to say :P

Adalphage
x4

Post by Adalphage » Mon, 24. Dec 18, 20:43

darthraven wrote:
Mon, 24. Dec 18, 20:37
Another thing not even looked at for 1.5... maybe 2.0? but don't hold your breath, after all this was a "great" launch for an X game as Bernd likes to say :P
Well, it was a great launch indeed, Bernd is not lying. But this is true just because the previous launches were extremely disastrous. At least x4 is playable, they corrected the game-breaking bugs in the first patches. And some right-now bugs are enjoyable (at least for me), like the ware-lack in some shipyards and wharfs, because it challenge the player to supply those places. I think this could be a good idea for future escenarios or game-starts, making a ware-crysis and you having to supply some sectors because if not Xenon are making huge invasions and detroying everything, it would be quite fun!

Smacksim
x4

Post by Smacksim » Mon, 24. Dec 18, 21:15

darthraven wrote:
Another thing not even looked at for 1.5...
Maybe they did look at it, how should we know? Honestly I get the impression that people think coding and bug-fixing is just a matter of going to the 'code closet' and pulling out the right code and taping it together. Gee, why won't Egosoft just go to the code closet and get the code I want! I get being disappointed but can't you just say so without hyperbole?

darthraven
x4

Post by darthraven » Mon, 24. Dec 18, 21:26

Smacksim wrote:
Mon, 24. Dec 18, 21:15
darthraven wrote:
Maybe they did look at it, how should we know? Honestly I get the impression that people think coding and bug-fixing is just a matter of going to the 'code closet' and pulling out the right code and taping it together. Gee, why won't Egosoft just go to the code closet and get the code I want! I get being disappointed but can't you just say so without hyperbole?
OK, first of all, this is the kind of thing a good developer would know would be a MAJOR problem if there was any QA done for the game. Did none of them attempt a boarding action on L or XL ships? did none of them think.. ohh wait 100 marines having to be transferred one by one might be a bit tedious for players?

Secondly it has not been mentioned at all from the devs about this problem, well at least that we know (as you said) but if they would just reply to threads like these saying "yeah we know there is a problem with this and are looking into it" we would not have to make assumptions as I have. And it is just that an assumption made with my years of experience with Egosoft, so yeah I stand by that, this is and will carry on being a major problem for many players until it is fixed, if it had been looked at for 1.5 we would have or should have known about it at some point.

I know coding or programming, in general, isn't exactly an easy thing. I have friends in the industry. But honestly, there is no logical reason for such basic QoL functions to be missing from the game when anyone going any kind of an alpha, beta, QA test would have flagged this up right away. So yeah this should of been working at release not 2 years down the line but that's the thing, this is Egosoft, and the real problem here is that we are really quick to dismiss things but simply saying "yeah that is Egosoft", why can't they aim to be better, why can't they act like a AAA title producing studio if they are asking for AAA title prices? Simply saying, this is hard or that's Egosoft just isn't good enough anymore IMHO.

Xmaestro
xr

Post by Xmaestro » Mon, 24. Dec 18, 21:33

darthraven wrote:
Mon, 24. Dec 18, 21:26
Smacksim wrote:
Mon, 24. Dec 18, 21:15
darthraven wrote:
OK, first of all, this is the kind of thing a good developer would know would be a MAJOR problem if there was any QA done for the game. Did none of them attempt a boarding action on L or XL ships? did none of them think.. ohh wait 100 marines having to be transferred one by one might be a bit tedious for players?

Secondly it has not been mentioned at all from the devs about this problem, well at least that weWell written Darthraven know (as you said) but if they would just reply to threads like these saying "yeah we know there is a problem with this and are looking into it" we would not have to make assumptions as I have. And it is just that an assumption made with my years of experience with Egosoft, so yeah I stand by that, this is and will carry on being a major problem for many players until it is fixed, if it had been looked at for 1.5 we would have or should have known about it at some point.

I know coding or programming, in general, isn't exactly an easy thing. I have friends in the industry. But honestly, there is no logical reason for such basic QoL functions to be missing from the game when anyone going any kind of an alpha, beta, QA test would have flagged this up right away. So yeah this should of been working at release not 2 years down the line but that's the thing, this is Egosoft, and the real problem here is that we are really quick to dismiss things but simply saying "yeah that is Egosoft", why can't they aim to be better, why can't they act like a AAA title producing studio if they are asking for AAA title prices? Simply saying, this is hard or that's Egosoft just isn't good enough anymore IMHO.
Well written Darthraven. :)
----------------------
Since 2004 (X2), capping ships (without the whole boarding with trained marines complexity) is still my favorite thing to do. :)
----------------------

Titan2k4

Post by Titan2k4 » Mon, 24. Dec 18, 21:59

Sadly another one of those examples that show this game was not nearly ready for a release. Like many other command options and features that long exist in the previous titles this one has not yet arrived in the x4 build that can really only be called 0.5 beta at this point like every x-game shortly after it's "full release".

As a result tranfer of crew is so tedious that you dont brother with the transfer and simply buy new marines. You can argue that they are doing their best to deliver missing things but I will argue that all this and probably everything coming within the next 6 months should have all been in the "actual 1.0 release" even if it means working longer and missing the dream-release-time-window of november/december.. Because sorry to say it... You missed it. And no releasing too early will change that other than cause angry and frustrated full-prize-beta-tester customers.

theborg921
x4

Post by theborg921 » Mon, 24. Dec 18, 22:24

Adalphage wrote:
Mon, 24. Dec 18, 20:43
darthraven wrote:
Well, it was a great launch indeed, Bernd is not lying. But this is true just because the previous launches were extremely disastrous. At least x4 is playable, they corrected the game-breaking bugs in the first patches. And some right-now bugs are enjoyable (at least for me), like the ware-lack in some shipyards and wharfs, because it challenge the player to supply those places. I think this could be a good idea for future escenarios or game-starts, making a ware-crysis and you having to supply some sectors because if not Xenon are making huge invasions and detroying everything, it would be quite fun!
A big Xenon invasion, yes please!!!

ubica

Post by ubica » Mon, 24. Dec 18, 22:49

Smacksim
x4

Post by Smacksim » Tue, 25. Dec 18, 02:36

darthraven wrote:
But honestly, there is no logical reason for such basic QoL functions to be missing from the game when anyone going any kind of an alpha, beta, QA test would have flagged this up right away.
Can't think of a reason? Then there is no reason. They did it for no reason. They're inept and not trying hard enough. Good grief.

You can easily see that they care about their game and care about making both their own vision of the game and something others will enjoy. They're working their socks off getting the major things patched. You, you step off your cruise ship and can't stand that the foot warmers you had on the big boat aren't yet available in the cabana. I'm disappointed I have to navigate menus to achieve things that could be easier too, but I'm not pretending Egosoft have ever had the kind of development cycle or development resources wherein I should scoff at the little things they didn't get finished. Have patience rather than unreasonable expectations. You'll be happier.

When issues are 'flagged' in development it means they will eventually get some attention. It doesn't mean they just magically get solved. You don't just wave a wand and produce an extra free developer to handle the things you don't have time to address. I would agree with you that Egosoft could (and for 15 years could have) take the next step and become a different kind of company with different development practices and schedules but they're not, not yet, as is evidenced by the subatance but not the explanation of your complaint.

darthraven
x4

Post by darthraven » Tue, 25. Dec 18, 20:48

Smacksim wrote:
Tue, 25. Dec 18, 02:36
darthraven wrote:
But honestly, there is no logical reason for such basic QoL functions to be missing from the game when anyone going any kind of an alpha, beta, QA test would have flagged this up right away.
Can't think of a reason? Then there is no reason. They did it for no reason. They're inept and not trying hard enough. Good grief.

You can easily see that they care about their game and care about making both their own vision of the game and something others will enjoy. They're working their socks off getting the major things patched. You, you step off your cruise ship and can't stand that the foot warmers you had on the big boat aren't yet available in the cabana. I'm disappointed I have to navigate menus to achieve things that could be easier too, but I'm not pretending Egosoft have ever had the kind of development cycle or development resources wherein I should scoff at the little things they didn't get finished. Have patience rather than unreasonable expectations. You'll be happier.

When issues are 'flagged' in development it means they will eventually get some attention. It doesn't mean they just magically get solved. You don't just wave a wand and produce an extra free developer to handle the things you don't have time to address. I would agree with you that Egosoft could (and for 15 years could have) take the next step and become a different kind of company with different development practices and schedules but they're not, not yet, as is evidenced by the subatance but not the explanation of your complaint.
God did even read any of what I said before the part you quoted? If you haven't please go back and read it, and if you have and still come back with this reply there is nothing more to talk to you about. :roll:

Lyle Sonders
x4

Post by Lyle Sonders » Fri, 28. Dec 18, 06:19

I miss the easy interface of x3 when it came to moving crew issuing trade orders and the like. Hate having to add each and every ware to the ships auto trader menu for my ships to trade. would be easier to be able to do this with a black or white list available. The entire interface system sucks from issuing commands to assigning ships to stations for auto trade. I still have to do most of the work since my assigned transports just sit in the dock even though the should be out trading

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Fri, 28. Dec 18, 12:00

The answer is very obvious---

They released too early. And they know it.

The Devs very likely knew it, but they had to stick to a Deadline. And if that Deadline is reached they MUST release or they`re sacked and the project cancelled. If they`re very lucky the deadline might be extended. Game Developers are (generally) artists and artists aren`t too great when it comes to business. Someone has to draw the line for them sometimes.

Time is money and money is time.

While we sit here bewailing the Devs\publishers (and we rightly do as customers), we must remeber that there are Business chaps who care more about getting money for their investment than what gamers might have to say... just as long as the gamers buy... You can`t blame them really. it`s a sort of battle between the Customer and the Business. They are not your best buddies, remember that, kids, not these days. They want YOUR money, you want to pay as LITTLE money as possible. It`s life- nature.

That`s the real world. All you can hope for are Business men (and women) who are actually morally honest about how they treat their customers. Haha!

I know cos I come from that world, except in my line of work I won`t get away with releasing too early like they can in games (and yes, I like games, which here, makes me a customer).
1. Please do more on NPC civilian/uniform variety, and bio customisations, Devs.
2. Stations need sirens when enemy is close in numbers.
Yes, for immersion. Thankyou ahead of time.

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."

Return to “X4: Foundations”