X-Tended - Terran Conflict (XTC) (Update: - Manual available! - 12/10/10)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

joe0035
x4

timing update

Post by joe0035 » Sun, 11. Apr 10, 16:27

When !!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Aragon Speed
x4

Re: timing update

Post by Aragon Speed » Sun, 11. Apr 10, 16:37

joe0035 wrote:When !!!!!!!!!! ;-)
What? Where? How? Why?

stemardue
x3tc

Post by stemardue » Sun, 11. Apr 10, 19:23

Attention:

new 'when will it be released?' questions will cause us to publish a full list of all modifications done and to be completed for XTC. After that a download link will be posted, protected by an 'exam' system: you will have to answer 10 random questions regarding XTC mod development to get in ;)

Warning: 'when?' posts made solely with the purpose of seeing that list will not work! ^^

(It's like this: you are waiting for the bus... for an eternity... finally decide to light a cigarette... and as soon as you light it, there is your bus! - But, if you light the cigarette on purpose, the bus will never come :D )

PS: this post is absolute nonsense ^^

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Sun, 11. Apr 10, 20:15

stemardue wrote:Attention:

new 'when will it be released?' questions will cause us to publish a full list of all modifications done and to be completed for XTC. After that a download link will be posted, protected by an 'exam' system: you will have to answer 10 random questions regarding XTC mod development to get in ;)

Warning: 'when?' posts made solely with the purpose of seeing that list will not work! ^^

(It's like this: you are waiting for the bus... for an eternity... finally decide to light a cigarette... and as soon as you light it, there is your bus! - But, if you light the cigarette on purpose, the bus will never come :D )

PS: this post is absolute nonsense ^^
:thumb_up: I like this.

Besides, continuing to ask "When?" is going to get the same answer that's been said time and time again.

Cougar81
x3tc

Post by Cougar81 » Mon, 12. Apr 10, 03:41

I too am eagerly awaiting XTC - really, X-tended is the only reason I'm still posting in these forums :) Not that Egosoft hasnt done a great job - but it's the aftermarket that has super-extended the shelf life of the X games.

ubica

Post by ubica » Mon, 12. Apr 10, 10:57

Cougar81 wrote:I too am eagerly awaiting XTC - really, X-tended is the only reason I'm still posting in these forums :) Not that Egosoft hasnt done a great job - but it's the aftermarket that has super-extended the shelf life of the X games.
You got that right.

oldrosestereo
x3tc

Post by oldrosestereo » Mon, 12. Apr 10, 13:53

Cougar81 wrote:I too am eagerly awaiting XTC - really, X-tended is the only reason I'm still posting in these forums :) Not that Egosoft hasnt done a great job - but it's the aftermarket that has super-extended the shelf life of the X games.
Same here.

Aydan

Post by Aydan » Mon, 12. Apr 10, 13:58

Well, like you may have guessed already, modding TC is not that easy, as it is a very complex game. Because of the continued development of the X series there are so many dependencies between files and actions, that a single person doing a mod is almost lost ;) So it takes a whole team to deconstruct the complete game to see which bolt is attached where and does connect which part to the one you currently are wondering about :D

Deconstructing is easy, sorting and understanding is the hard part. Simply to know where you can add your ideas, scripts, textures, models and so on. So, early on our work, we got this picture:
http://www.arcor.de/iimages/52/art_440x ... WEkdOK.jpg
...and we started to wonder. In case somebody is asking... no, the orange parts do not contain the hard coded things :D

Now, what we're about to do, is to build the mod from these parts, to add stuf, to bend the parts, until it looks like this:
http://www.kabeleins.de/imperia/md/imag ... errari.jpg
... and we try to avoid this :D
http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uplo ... camaro.jpg

Trickmov
x3tc

Post by Trickmov » Mon, 12. Apr 10, 14:26

@Aydan: Yeah, you got it :)

The mod is currently looking like this:
http://www.hobbyshop.ch/images/Kyosho%2 ... o31262.jpg (perhaps a bit better)

... functional in many ways...

but as you can see some important elements are still missing :lol:

Hartzaden
x3tc

Post by Hartzaden » Mon, 12. Apr 10, 17:29

Trickmov wrote:@Aydan: Yeah, you got it :)

The mod is currently looking like this:
http://www.hobbyshop.ch/images/Kyosho%2 ... o31262.jpg (perhaps a bit better)

... functional in many ways...

but as you can see some important elements are still missing :lol:

well that looks playable IMO.

fagraas
x3tc

Post by fagraas » Mon, 12. Apr 10, 17:30

hm.. guess i have to play the game on vanilla while i wait. have not done that yet 8) xtc is a great reason alone to get the game :roll:

CraterFace

Post by CraterFace » Mon, 12. Apr 10, 21:20

stemardue wrote:*Snip*

*Snip*
So freaking true...
"Various empirical models (intelligent approximations based on intuition, guesswork, and fiddling adjustable constants)."

AjaxDude
x3tc

Post by AjaxDude » Wed, 14. Apr 10, 02:44

I have a question: Will we be able to switch between vanilla and XTC using that "Select Mod Package" on the X3TC starting menu?

With XTC using an entirely new map that will likely require a new start, I don't want to lose my progress.
How can one player flying one ship defeat a big gang of pirates?

Good flying, or reinforcements. Lots of reinforcements.

OOZ662
x4

Post by OOZ662 » Wed, 14. Apr 10, 03:12

With something as huge as this, it requires both Scrips and Mods, so swapping back and forth would be rather painful. It'd be easier to create a second install (install vanilla, then copy/paste a copy of the folder) and manage your savegames.

stemardue
x3tc

Post by stemardue » Wed, 14. Apr 10, 10:06

Guys, it's all in this post... it's been asked and replied several times... please take a moment and read through it.

Anyways, no, it won't be possible to switch between two or more mods. XTC will definitely require a new, independent install.

;)

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Wed, 14. Apr 10, 14:56

Hi guys. As there have been a lot of questions lately and many already answered, we have compiled a little FAQ with the most frequent questions and answers. You'll also find it in the first post of the thread. :)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
  • When will XTC be released?
    As soon as it is done. We are doing this as our hobby and aren’t being paid, so our progress is not as fast as one you’d expect from a software company.
  • Do I have to start a new game?
    Yes, XTC includes a completely new universe with roughly 190 new sectors and many other new settings and scripts. There is no way to avoid a new start.
  • Can I play with my old savegames?
    No. As there is a completely new universe, new ship and factory layout and major edits to all game files, every non-XTC savegame will not work.
  • Can I return to the old universe from inside XTC?
    No. The old universe is not available within the XTC. However, you will have 190 completely new sectors to explore. This was done for performance reasons as well as lore and integrity. There is no hope of ever having the old sectors back.
  • Can I use XTC together with mod / script XYZ?
    There is currently no way to know this. XTC makes changes in nearly every game file, thus installing any other mod or script will most likely lead to an incompatibility. It is up to the authors of these mods to release a XTC-compatible version of their work. Scripts can be problematic in one or another way, but currently we simply don't know what will be compatible and what won’t. XTC itself comes with a ton of features and scripts, so a good part of third-party scripts will be redundant anyway. We will not make XTC compatible with the hundreds of scripts out there. If you want XTC to work with XYZ, please contact the author of XYZ, not us.
  • Will I be able to play the Terran Conflict Plots?
    No. But we plan to do our own plot(s).
  • Will the ships, weapons and missiles be rebalanced in the XTC?
    Yes, we are putting a huge effort into balancing everything from scratch to give a better feeling to gameplay.
  • Will there be new weapons?
    Yes, there will be a large number of new weapons, which will be re-divided in sets that only certain races are able to use, each race having its own set of weapons compatible to their ships. Additionally we have generic weapons, which are available for every race. Most of the old weapons will undergo serious changes and can thus be considered “new” as well.
  • Will there be new ships?
    Yes, there will be new ships. Most of the ships from XTM (X3R) will be included, some of them improved specifically for X3TC. W have also created a number of new ship designs.
  • Will there be new sounds?
    Yes, there will be new sounds: A large variety of new ambient sector tracks, completely new weapon-sounds and new battle tracks as well as a few other improvements sound-wise.
  • Will cockpits be included in XTC?
    No.
  • Will there be ships of other mods or SciFi-TV-movies included?
    No. We only use models created by our team and imported from the XTM. There will be no ship included that you have already seen in any other mod (apart from XTM).

oldrosestereo
x3tc

Post by oldrosestereo » Wed, 14. Apr 10, 15:29

Thanks for answering the questions I wanted to ask but hadn't even thought of yet. :)
Keep up the good work.

eddywolf001
x3tc

Post by eddywolf001 » Wed, 14. Apr 10, 16:14

do you need testers?

Apsody243

Post by Apsody243 » Wed, 14. Apr 10, 17:31

Question, Are you going to fix some of the bugs present in vanilla XTC ?

Like the ones addressed in draffut Bug-player fix of are you leaving them as is.

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Wed, 14. Apr 10, 17:34

Apsody243 wrote:Question, Are you going to fix some of the bugs present in vanilla XTC ?

Like the ones addressed in draffut Bug-player fix of are you leaving them as is.
We fix what we encounter and are able to fix within a reasonable timeframe. :)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”