X rebirth, video serie (german) part 1, 2, 3 and 4

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

vahadar
x4

Post by vahadar » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 01:21

Kittens David wrote:The first part of chapter 2 is very interesting in showing how the skunk is ugly and tiny...
just your opinion ;)

and thanks for the videos and the translation, it was great !

Theodorik
x3ap

Post by Theodorik » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 01:47

TGS wrote: I am hoping it is just a matter of me not having seen many non-civilian ships?
I reckon that will change when you get to:
- give commands to cap ships to move equipment/fight
- use drones for subterfuge
- get more involved with expanding your empire
- do lots of exploring

:D
There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those who know binary,
And those who don't.

CutterJohn1
x3tc

Post by CutterJohn1 » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 03:22

Why do they always play with a gamepad? It is very painful to see someone go through 3 levels of menu to open the map instead of pressing M like any sane individual would do. :D

The tradelanes are starting to grow on me. I really like that you can get on and off. Could maybe tone the effects down a notch, though.

'small talk' minigame. God I hate minigames.... Haven't we figured out after 10 years that minigames invariably suck?

Hmm. I see we now have a UI for the drones. So that makes 3 UIs they've developed for the game, instead of a single unified one. That is.. an incredibly odd, and slightly frustrating choice, since a functional global UI is the reason we don't have 1st person without a cockpit and 3rd person views, and will also greatly complicate modding. Why can I see menus in thin air while in FPS mode, but have to use the skunks monitors in the cockpit? It really doesn't make any sense. :(

That map looks fairly painful to use, and such a small portion of the screen. Highlighting the various components in the game world is quite nifty though.

Nomadski
x4

Post by Nomadski » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 03:36

Great videos to watch, and Sryan, brilliant and well appreciated translations for us none German speaking types!

Top stuff!

pigeonpigeon

Post by pigeonpigeon » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 05:47

TGS wrote:One thing I am noticing about the videos and I really hope this isn't too obvious is the fact that most if not all the other ships are flying around in an orderly fashion. Even in queues going very slowly. And here you are in the skunk flying around wherever you want with absolute freedom not in any sort of queue not following any sort of pattern.

For me personally this is something that breaks immersion completely. When NPC ships and player ship(s) have different sets of rules or behaviours. Where all the NPC's are following very obvious rulesets and flight patterns, yet the player ship can fly anywhere and do anything.

I am hoping it is just a matter of me not having seen many non-civilian ships?
I agree. They still look too small to me, also. After seeing the Skunk landed at the Space bar, it's really not very big, and most of those tiny ships flying around look like they'd fit inside the Skunk's cockpits. Also many look like little cargo ships, which makes their tiny stature even more confusing.

I wish they would add more variance to the lanes, so things don't look so orderly, and make the ships fly a little faster. What is the point of flying a space ship to a different section of a space station if you're limited to flying it at barely walking speed?

All in all though these videos made me more excited about the game. And thanks for the translations Sryan, there's some good information in there!.

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 06:30

^ elsewhere ive said it reminds me of toys being pulled around on a string. but have since reflected that would apply also to real life earthly traffic flows from a distance. but still is does not look right in space.
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 07:02

Sryan you beast!!!!! thanks mate!!!!!

Ravenhurst

Post by Ravenhurst » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 08:52

Give the MVP to the OP for translating this for the non-german speaking folks!

DaddyMonster

Post by DaddyMonster » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 10:15

pigeonpigeon wrote:
TGS wrote:One thing I am noticing about the videos and I really hope this isn't too obvious is the fact that most if not all the other ships are flying around in an orderly fashion. Even in queues going very slowly. And here you are in the skunk flying around wherever you want with absolute freedom not in any sort of queue not following any sort of pattern.

For me personally this is something that breaks immersion completely. When NPC ships and player ship(s) have different sets of rules or behaviours. Where all the NPC's are following very obvious rulesets and flight patterns, yet the player ship can fly anywhere and do anything.

I am hoping it is just a matter of me not having seen many non-civilian ships?
I agree. They still look too small to me, also. After seeing the Skunk landed at the Space bar, it's really not very big, and most of those tiny ships flying around look like they'd fit inside the Skunk's cockpits. Also many look like little cargo ships, which makes their tiny stature even more confusing.

I wish they would add more variance to the lanes, so things don't look so orderly, and make the ships fly a little faster. What is the point of flying a space ship to a different section of a space station if you're limited to flying it at barely walking speed?

All in all though these videos made me more excited about the game. And thanks for the translations Sryan, there's some good information in there!.
I might be wrong about this one, but I suspect there are basically two classes of vehicles. The 'NPC piloted' ships that will take evasive action and do unique things like the skunk - and drone like vehicles that follows the lanes dumbly carrying our trade instructions. Like I say, that's largely supposition.

JClosed
x3tc

Post by JClosed » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 11:36

Hmm... Well - about the size - If you put a simple 4-person car next to a two engine (front and back blade) transport helicopter, the car seems not that big. I assume the Skunk is a bit larger than that helicopter, so personal transport could not be that "out of size" as it seems to be. Also - notice then flying along the personal transport ship the Skunk does not come very close (obviously to avoid collision), so size is just relative here. This plays in the future, so I guess engines for personal (and private) transport do not have to be very big, because acceleration is not that important. As a result the vehicles can be kept small (size nowadays’s cars and buses).

And secondly - the narrow path the vehicles are flying in. Well - even at this moment there are trials with auto-steering on our highways. I think those vehicles just fly on auto pilot using per-determinate paths. Do not underestimate lazy behaviour of most drivers - even in the future. What is more easy than type in your destination, lean backwards and relax (maybe while watching your favourite show, or doing some work) and let the vehicle bring you where you want to be? :wink:

Lorien
x3

Post by Lorien » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 12:50

JClosed wrote:And secondly - the narrow path the vehicles are flying in. Well - even at this moment there are trials with auto-steering on our highways. I think those vehicles just fly on auto pilot using per-determinate paths. Do not underestimate lazy behaviour of most drivers - even in the future. What is more easy than type in your destination, lean backwards and relax (maybe while watching your favourite show, or doing some work) and let the vehicle bring you where you want to be? :wink:
That, and it's probably the most cost-effective path that their path-finding algorithm has come up with :D
Things I've procrastinated on...

Arsaneus
x4

Post by Arsaneus » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 13:47

Oh by the way...

Here's part 3:

http://www.gamestar.de/videos/previews, ... 72277.html

Arsaneus

Theodorik
x3ap

Post by Theodorik » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 13:56

Arsaneus wrote:Oh by the way...

Here's part 3:

http://www.gamestar.de/videos/previews, ... 72277.html

Arsaneus
***HUGS***

/grovel

thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you

:D

It's not even up on Gamnestar's Youtube page yet:
http://www.youtube.com/user/GameStarDE/ ... birth+teil

P.S. Does Bernd even change his clothes? This is the 3rd consecutive day he's been wearing that same coloured jumper
:P ;)
Last edited by Theodorik on Thu, 10. Oct 13, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
Those who know binary,
And those who don't.

SmartBase
xr

Post by SmartBase » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 13:59

28 min? Going to have to have to outsource the translation for that one :D

Arsaneus
x4

Post by Arsaneus » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 14:14

Theodorik wrote: P.S. Does Bernd even change his clothes? This is the 3rd consecutive day he's been wearing that same coloured jumper
:P ;)
Bart Simpson never changes clothes either!

Nah all 4 videos were made on the same day and just cut into 4 shorter ones :)

Arsaneus

DaddyMonster

Post by DaddyMonster » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 14:14

We're all waiting on the hero that is Sryan :-)

Um, does that first cap ship fly through the geometry of the station? It really looks like it..

Theodorik
x3ap

Post by Theodorik » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 14:33

DaddyMonster wrote: Um, does that first cap ship fly through the geometry of the station? It really looks like it..
Yup, saw that too.
Maybe they're working on fixing the flight paths these cap ships take when exiting stations.
Then again, it is way better than seeing this happen...
Those who know binary,
And those who don't.

DaddyMonster

Post by DaddyMonster » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 14:51

Actually, the X3 one was better: with bad pathing it exploded whereas Rebirth clipped the geometry. But from the tour de force of the last vid - this one is a bit worrying - now we haven't seen the translated transcript, there might be a reason, but the AI seemed to hardly to react to the player's repeated aggression - so much for "attacking the station is suicide with its 100s of turrets". Frame rate struggled on occasion too, particularly when leaving a highway.

Theodorik
x3ap

Post by Theodorik » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 15:09

DaddyMonster wrote: Actually, the X3 one was better: with bad pathing it exploded
That's what my clip showed above. :)
(wait 18 seconds, I like to give the viewer some context prior to the event)

DaddyMonster wrote: but the AI seemed to hardly to react to the player's repeated aggression - so much for "attacking the station is suicide with its 100s of turrets".
We still do not know if they had "god" mode enabled and the hostility-escalation system disabled.
I caught wind of Bernd referencing GTA with 3 stars being used in XR.
DaddyMonster wrote: Frame rate struggled on occasion too, particularly when leaving a highway.
True, but we don't know the hardware specs of the machine that was running the game.

I know, I add a grain of salt to all of your honest opinions, but they are showing off WAY more than we have ever seen thus far.

Was it me, or were there only 4 sectors visibile in the solar system? You see it when they exit from the Blue Superhighway on the mini-screen.
Those who know binary,
And those who don't.

DaddyMonster

Post by DaddyMonster » Thu, 10. Oct 13, 15:15

No, you're right. Let's see what's said in the translation and hold judgement.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”