X Rebirth using the Steam controller

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

strude
x4

X Rebirth using the Steam controller

Post by strude » Fri, 16. Dec 16, 07:06

Hey crowd.

Has anyone tried X Rebirth playing with the Steam controller? I'm getting one from the wife for Christmas (she'll be so surprised when she finds out), and since the game is getting an update, I thought I might have another crack. I never liked the controller setup using the XBox controller, so I'm hoping for a bit more configuration options with the Steam controller. Possibly even using it in Mouse/Keyboard mode so I'm not locked into to the soft targeting mode.

Any thoughts?
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Re: X Rebirth using the Steam controller

Post by RAVEN.myst » Fri, 16. Dec 16, 07:24

Sorry, since I don't know anything about that controller, I can't give you any sort of useful answer, but I just HAD to laugh at:
strude wrote:I'm getting one from the wife for Christmas (she'll be so surprised when she finds out)
:lol:
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Fri, 16. Dec 16, 13:03

I recently got one, but have been getting used to it with other games and have only tried a few minute on Rebirth. The standard configuration doesn't make much sense to me, but the controller itself is so configurable that I think it should be possible to come up with something sensible with a little effort (if there isn't a community configuration that already meets my needs). This seems to be the case for most games though - the controller is almost too clever in everything it can do that the 'default' option is rarely the best.

If you're happy tweaking options, which it sounds like you are, then you should be fine - if you want things to work 'out of the box' then it might not be for you.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

strude
x4

Post by strude » Fri, 16. Dec 16, 14:00

Rapier wrote:If you're happy tweaking options, which it sounds like you are, then you should be fine - if you want things to work 'out of the box' then it might not be for you.
Yep, tweaking and tinkering are no strangers on this PC. My biggest issue with controllers and Rebirth is the soft targeting. I don't seem to be able to use the targeting hotkeys with controller mode active, but without controller mode active, the radial menus don't work.

Haven't really tried since well before 4.0 though, so hopefully there is some improvement, or more likely some work arounds to those issues. I'm also hoping I can configure the Steam controller for use in non controller mode with enough functions to cover everything. The XBox controller never had enough functions available.
Gaming PC: Gigabyte H270M-D3H | i7 7700 | 16Gb DDR4 | Gigabyte GTX1060 6Gb OC | Asus Xonar DGX | Window 10 Home 64bit | Samsung 256Gb SSD

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”