What games u play for your X4 fix?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Llothlian
x3tc

Post by Llothlian » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 09:17

Mauzi! wrote:
vargata wrote:I would buy xcom terror from the deep and Europa universalis IV but steam locked my account due to the chargeback :) their bad
Nothing wrong with having one steam account per game, their fault for taking inacceptable anti-customer action that this might mess up the server. This also helps anonymity and habit evaluation quite a bit, while also ruining their statistics and making them think they have oh-so-many customers.
You go girl, stick it to the man. :roll:

Ranka-Lee
x3tc

Post by Ranka-Lee » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 09:27

My go to game as many here probably is X3AP... but with XRM mod installed is the closest to anything X4. I'm so appreciative of the modders of this er.. mod, gave a new lease of life on the game after the disaster that is XR. :)

Other game I'm playing alot is 'Distant Worlds: Shadows'. Different kind of game though but still epic in scale... also some Starsector on the side but that game is in alpha.

Mauzi!
x3ap

Post by Mauzi! » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 10:43

Ranka-Lee wrote:My go to game as many here probably is X3AP... but with XRM mod installed is the closest to anything X4. I'm so appreciative of the modders of this er.. mod, gave a new lease of life on the game after the disaster that is XR. :)
Gotta agree that the XRM mod is mega-awesome, it surely could be the only reason for me to pull out X³AP once more if I feel like a proper space game.
"I would like to say how amazed we all are here by the huge success of the game" - Bernd Lehahn
"Any fan of space simulations will find the UI in X Rebirth easy to use and much more intuitive, but the 'Trade, Fight, Build, Think' gameplay elements and interaction remain as deep as X game fans have come to expect" - Bernd Lehahn
"Sir, we are lacking 'success' for a while now and must take action !" - "Okay, let's pull off an XR then!".

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 10:56

Ohsirus wrote:Evochron Mercenary has always been fun to me.
Yes. I got into that over the weekend. It is surprisingly good. I added a handful of graphics mods for cockpits, asteroids and capital skip skins.

The modified newtonian flight model is a joy to fly so far. I haven't tried combat yet though. I'm a miner and a trader and i'm concentrating on asteroid mining and running missions while upgrading my ship.

For £15 and considering it is a one man Dark Basic project it is fantastic. No wandering around stations in First Person - but procedurally generated planets to land on and fly over.

I highly recommend it.

Starpoint Gemini is fun in a Starfleet Command way.

Galaxies on Fire 2 is available on the PC cheap in steam but is pparently not great, being a straight ipad port that then put the company out of business. I'm playing the ipad version and so far it is fantastic

AcidWeb
x4

Post by AcidWeb » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 11:10

After complete fiasco of X: Rebirth I dusted off X3: AP-XRM-IEX.

That was much better idea than pre-order of X:R.

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 11:32

Just to add:

I also went off and added to my Backers Package for Elite Dangerous. Then I checked out Star Citizen and bought the Bounty Hunter package.

I just wish Ego had gone the Kickstarter route. In Elite the backers are involved in discussing the features in the game. They higher paying ones are about to start alpha testing components. And as it moves into beta increasing numbers of backers will be taking part.

I am confident that the end product will be good. And if it is not there will be plenty of information out in the wild as to why it is not.

But if it isn't good then I know I went into this with my eyes open. I invested speculative money in exchange for a level of participation in and knowledge of the ongoing design.

If Ego had done something similar I'd have pledged £100 easily.

slategrey252
x4

Post by slategrey252 » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 11:48

hmmm

x3 x-tended

william1134

Post by william1134 » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 12:04

After having watched all I could on youtube of Xrebirth and reading the forums I was completely hooked. However my aging gaming pc was not up for scratch. So I set about rebuilding it in the hope of getting past the min requirements so I could play.

I have now spent quite a bit of money on a new cpu,gpu and additional ram and am around halfway between the minimum and recommended requirements. I thought this would be enough and I would be able to play without too many concessions, but boy do I seem to be wrong on this due to what seems to be poor optimisation that is overly taxing!

I may buy Xrebirth when it becomes cheaper and take a gamble to see if it works with the fps averaging higher than the pitiful 20 most people seem to be getting.

But anyways I found my old X2 and installed it. Luckily I managed to find all my save files from when I originally played it so I can pick up where I left it! Hehehe
I downloaded a graphic mod so it looks pretty good for me, although the mod did remove the cockpits, which is a bit of a bugger.

Iosyn

Post by Iosyn » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 12:05

I'm probably gonna boost up X3AP again, but the thing is, I really don't want spaghetti stations-- and frankly I'm so disillusioned with egosoft right now I need a break.

well, I've still got Distant Worlds, which is awesome. And good old Aurora, even if it is the Visual Basic equivalent of dwarf fortress, spreadsheets and spaghetti stations. For that matter I might just play CataclysmDDA and dwarf fort until the issues are fixed.

Also nice to see people playing Evochron Mercenary. It's a little gem.

squicker

Post by squicker » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 12:38

X3:TC. Whilst I played XBTF, XTension and X2 to death, I bought X3:R and TC but did not ever get time to play them. When I heard Rebirth was out I thought I'd just skip right to that but, well, it's toilet isn't it? No disguising it, the game is an abhorrent mess of bad ideas and lazy coding.

Terran Conflict however, is the current pinacle of genuine X-gaming, perhaps AP is but I've not dabbled yet. I note it also looks at least as glorius as X:Abortion, but runs smoothly up to 185FPS. God knows what they did to mess up the performance in X:Abortion because I actually feel the closeup textures are not as good as the ones in TC.

Xeroxia
x3tc

Post by Xeroxia » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 12:52

I started to get into Eve Online and like it very much so far! :)

Smunisto

Post by Smunisto » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 12:59

I started a brand new X3:AP 3.1 game with the XRM mod v. 1.30.
It makes X3:AP look like a brand new game and you get this "new" feel to it.

Started as a Yaki Ronin(one of many plot options, added by XRM), all faction standings at -2, took me 10 hours to just make the argons like me, so I can dock around Omicron Lyrae.

Huge battles are happening, such as I have never seen in AP. Terran fleets and "Attack groups" are rampaging through the sectors, ATF/USC capitals engaging in fights with the Argon fleets. It's massive and amazing.

I am slowly making money, and planning to focus on upgrading my starter ship (an M6 called Appallox), then going to search for a stock market.
I have put a challenge on myself not to use ANY maps for AP and XRM(since it adds around 50 sectors), and no spreadsheet data for ships and weapons for this playthrough.

Much better than Rebirth.

The_Mess
x3tc

Post by The_Mess » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 13:15

Was going to dive back into X-tended for TC, but my install's got the dreaded "read text" error for the AL settings, so I have to redownload TC and rebuild all the damn 3rd party scripts + redo the fix for the station delivery script, along with diving back into the scripts that control loot drop chances to reduce the grind for nova cannons and gamma kyons.

Took half a day last time lawl.

Otherwise waiting for the next stable beta build for Xenonauts + next patch for SotS II, which should fix the AI finally. And maybe get back into my AP save, where thanks to the ship bailing mod I've amassed a small fleet of cap ships that need outfitting. Making much profitssss from weed-booze plexs + missile MORT's :3

squicker

Post by squicker » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 13:44

Shadow 1412 wrote:I started to get into Eve Online and like it very much so far! :)
It's awesome but blew my tiny mind!

Xeroxia
x3tc

Post by Xeroxia » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 13:56

For sure, it is not an easy game to get into, but that makes fun! I started reading the ISK Guide here: http://www.isktheguide.com/

Diziet Sma

Post by Diziet Sma » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 14:18

Swallen wrote:I'm playing ASCII Sector. A space game that, believe it or not, is much deeper than X Rebirth.

Not a 4x per se, but pretty interesting.
That actually looks surprisingly good. Thanks for the recommendation.
Shadow 1412 wrote:I started to get into Eve Online and like it very much so far! Smile
With X-Rebirth now firmly off the table, I have been thinking more and more about Eve as my last best hope for an intelligent space trading / empire building game.

Unfortunately I don't really know much about it. Does it have anything in common with the older x-games like TC and AP? Are there any EVE veterans here who have had a good experience?

Xeroxia
x3tc

Post by Xeroxia » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 14:40

Even though I just started playing Eve you should know it doesn't feature direct control of your spaceship. The game features PvE content, but that one is not so great and is not focus of the game. Though I recommend playing the first 5 small tutorial plots to get the hang of it. And do yourself a favor and join as soon as possible a good corporation.
The game is one huge sandbox with many possibilities. http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Diziet Sma

Post by Diziet Sma » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 14:49

Shadow 1412 wrote:Even though I just started playing Eve you should know it doesn't feature direct control of your spaceship. The game features PvE content, but that one is not so great and is not focus of the game. Though I recommend playing the first 5 small tutorial plots to get the hang of it. And do yourself a favor and join as soon as possible a good corporation.
The game is one huge sandbox with many possibilities. http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/
Thats ok, I prefer to exercise my mind rather than my fine motor control anyway. Is Eve at least as deep as TC though? I'm not after a shallow game.

And yes, since I'm considering Eve as a substitute for the missing X-game, PvE is quite important to me so I'm glad you confirmed that its at least present, even if it isn't the focus.
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Mon, 25. Nov 13, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

jambock1978

Post by jambock1978 » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 14:50

Knagar wrote:
jambock1978 wrote:Waiting for Fallout 4.

http://thesurvivor2299.com/
You might want to YouTube

"IGN News - Is The Survivor 2299 a Fallout 4 Teaser?"

As it explains why odds are this is just a spoof and not actually anything to do with Fallout 4.
The site "the survivor2299" have the Vault Tech symbol on it, already talked about the "nuclear winter" and is using the same idea that they used in Fallout 3 (Morse code). Just because of the vault Tech symbol it's already clear that is a Fallout relative game/information at least. I don't expect that it will be launched very soon but that they will make an official announcement about the game. But if it isn't something about fallout 4 at least my disappointment will not be so big, since i'm anxious for it just for only one week? Differently than a other game that made me wait for 3 years just to hit with my face on a wall... Lets await and see.

Diziet Sma wrote:
Shadow 1412 wrote:Even though I just started playing Eve you should know it doesn't feature direct control of your spaceship. The game features PvE content, but that one is not so great and is not focus of the game. Though I recommend playing the first 5 small tutorial plots to get the hang of it. And do yourself a favor and join as soon as possible a good corporation.
Thats ok, I prefer to exercise my mind rather than my fine motor control anyway. Is Eve at least as deep as TC though? I'm not after a shallow game.

And yes, since I'm considering Eve as a substitute for the missing X-game, PvE is quite important to me so I'm glad you confirmed that its at least present, even if it isn't the focus.
EVE can be extremely fun to extremely boring... Your choices that matter in this case, you have to choose the right corporation to your liking (Pve or Pvp basically). But be aware of one thing, EVE is an online game, PVP will happen even if you don't want it, and if you are not a PVP player with a PVP equipped ship you will be obliterated in a second if you enter in the wrong sector... It have an interesting economy, interesting mining and production engine, a lot of options, PVE, a lot of ships and factions (NPC or player based) to choose, but it is mainly a PVP game.

Oh, and no 1st person control over your ship, something more like a RTS control.

Edit.: Just one more thing, you take years (Really, in RL time) to achieve some things in EVE, like piloting a Carrier. All the skills are trained based in time, this can be from some minutes to more than 100 days! No kidding.
Last edited by jambock1978 on Mon, 25. Nov 13, 15:08, edited 2 times in total.

g04tn4d0
x4

Post by g04tn4d0 » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 14:56

Eve Online, Albion Prelude, Guild Wars 2, Lord of the Rings Online, Skyrim, and Saints Row 3. ;)

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”