What games u play for your X4 fix?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

HercMighty
x3tc

Post by HercMighty » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 15:05

Diziet Sma wrote:
Shadow 1412 wrote:Even though I just started playing Eve you should know it doesn't feature direct control of your spaceship. The game features PvE content, but that one is not so great and is not focus of the game. Though I recommend playing the first 5 small tutorial plots to get the hang of it. And do yourself a favor and join as soon as possible a good corporation.
The game is one huge sandbox with many possibilities. http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/
Thats ok, I prefer to exercise my mind rather than my fine motor control anyway. Is Eve at least as deep as TC though? I'm not after a shallow game.

And yes, since I'm considering Eve as a substitute for the missing X-game, PvE is quite important to me so I'm glad you confirmed that its at least present, even if it isn't the focus.
Comparing the X games to EVE is really not fair, mainly because the deepness of either is hard to compare as EVE is filled with human players and not scripted AI. EVE features a real economy, and you really have to belong to a human corporation to take full advantage of it. It is hard to explain in a few words, but I believe EVE brings the X games to a different level.

There is plenty of PVE and don't know why the other poster said it isn't a focus...that statement is just wrong imho.

EVE has it's issues, though CCP the developers I think is going the right direction and EVE in the future will only get better....

Take a look here for what you can do in EVE: http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

IceDown
x4

Post by IceDown » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 15:10

I'm back at EvE myself. It's basically X, except that every ship (except cannon fodder enemies) has to be piloted by a human. You can't physically pilot your ship but don't take that wrong, but during an actual heated battle, you have enough to worry about.

Diziet Sma

Post by Diziet Sma » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 15:14

HercMighty wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Shadow 1412 wrote:Even though I just started playing Eve you should know it doesn't feature direct control of your spaceship. The game features PvE content, but that one is not so great and is not focus of the game. Though I recommend playing the first 5 small tutorial plots to get the hang of it. And do yourself a favor and join as soon as possible a good corporation.
The game is one huge sandbox with many possibilities. http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/
Thats ok, I prefer to exercise my mind rather than my fine motor control anyway. Is Eve at least as deep as TC though? I'm not after a shallow game.

And yes, since I'm considering Eve as a substitute for the missing X-game, PvE is quite important to me so I'm glad you confirmed that its at least present, even if it isn't the focus.
Comparing the X games to EVE is really not fair, mainly because the deepness of either is hard to compare as EVE is filled with human players and not scripted AI. EVE features a real economy, and you really have to belong to a human corporation to take full advantage of it. It is hard to explain in a few words, but I believe EVE brings the X games to a different level.

There is plenty of PVE and don't know why the other poster said it isn't a focus...that statement is just wrong imho.

EVE has it's issues, though CCP the developers I think is going the right direction and EVE in the future will only get better....

Take a look here for what you can do in EVE: http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/
Thanks for the link, it actually looks really interesting and very detailed :)

Do you think it would be possible to play Eve like an X game and just treat the people as "advanced AI"? Because that's what I'm thinking of doing.

I don't really care how efficient I am, just whether the game is playable that way. If so, it sounds like it could be a really incredible experience.

Diziet Sma

Post by Diziet Sma » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 15:18

IceDown wrote:I'm back at EvE myself. It's basically X, except that every ship (except cannon fodder enemies) has to be piloted by a human. You can't physically pilot your ship but don't take that wrong, but during an actual heated battle, you have enough to worry about.
I'm still a bit hazy on the the control aspect of combat so let me clarify with a question.

If 2 opponents have the exact same ships is is possible for the smarter one to win consistently without luck?

data1971
x4

Post by data1971 » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 15:22

Playing RTW2 and X3 TC

AcidWeb
x4

Post by AcidWeb » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 15:25

Diziet Sma wrote:If 2 opponents have the exact same ships is is possible for the smarter one to win consistently without luck?
Consistently? No.

I played EVE Online ~5 years and IMHO it can't be really compared with X series. EVE is more like social sandbox MMO with sci-fi theme. You can run own empire but every person there will be real.

Mauzi!
x3ap

Post by Mauzi! » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 15:27

Diziet Sma wrote:Do you think it would be possible to play Eve like an X game and just treat the people as "advanced AI"? Because that's what I'm thinking of doing.
No way you can do that, mainly because if you play solo you will just die unless you exclusively go for shallow PvE and only in secure sectors. But this will keep you from the sector and station owner content. Also, using multiple ships at the same time isn't possible, you may own plenty of ships as reserve but can only fly one at a time for whatever you wish to do.

Also, there's no jumpdrive / jumpgate system like in X really, which makes travelling the galaxy totally different and by far more local. This changes gameplay a lot, forcing you to care for local politics and economics.

And as said above, especially combat is different: You don't control your ship like in an FPS but rather command the weapons and components to do what you want while they will auto-fire on selected targets, charge your shields, etc.

The resulting gameplay is more about teamwork, fleet groups and strategic battles for star systems while a decent economy is the foundation of all that.
"I would like to say how amazed we all are here by the huge success of the game" - Bernd Lehahn
"Any fan of space simulations will find the UI in X Rebirth easy to use and much more intuitive, but the 'Trade, Fight, Build, Think' gameplay elements and interaction remain as deep as X game fans have come to expect" - Bernd Lehahn
"Sir, we are lacking 'success' for a while now and must take action !" - "Okay, let's pull off an XR then!".

wolfmaster1979
x3tc

Post by wolfmaster1979 » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 15:33

Eriodas wrote:Galaxy On Fire II HD, but i only have the Android version, don't know if there is a PC version or an IOS.
PC verision: http://store.steampowered.com/app/212010
Last edited by wolfmaster1979 on Mon, 25. Nov 13, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

LastChime

Post by LastChime » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 15:33

I play X Rebirth till I get frustrated by crashes and awkward mechanics....Then I fire up Distant Worlds and prepare to get tooled by the AI

Diziet Sma

Post by Diziet Sma » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 15:39

Got it. Yes I can see that it just wont be possible to treat it like an X game, the lack of automated ships is a particularly nasty nail in the coffin. Didn't realize that.

Oh well, so much for my hopes of replacing X with Eve, thanks for your quick answers guys, you were very helpful :)

slategrey252
x4

Post by slategrey252 » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 15:39

AcidWeb wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:If 2 opponents have the exact same ships is is possible for the smarter one to win consistently without luck?
Consistently? No.

I played EVE Online ~5 years and IMHO it can't be really compared with X series. EVE is more like social sandbox MMO with sci-fi theme. You can run own empire but every person there will be real.
Eve is more like an antisocial sandbox run in an asylum by the inmates whilst jacked up on mood altering drugs. I know, I played it for a long while.

desiriel
x4

Post by desiriel » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 15:47

I had almost stopped playing anything while waiting for X:R and now, oh the irony !, I've stopped playing X:R.
So I've started a dinasty on Crusader Kings 2 with the last DLC and will take it to EU4 with the converter. It'll will a glorious thousand-years ride.
I've also reinstalled X3AP with XRM (which I hadn't tried yet).
I've also tried Star Point Gemini 2 alpha with the 0.6 patch and it's already light years beyond X:R in both depth, mechanics and optimization. Please ES take note.
And, finally, don't forget the best grand sci-fi strategy game out there: Distant Worlds.
So plenty to do till X:R will be a semi-decent game. But by then we'll be playing Everquest Next, Star Citizen and Elite:Dangerous so... well... nevermind.

Diziet Sma

Post by Diziet Sma » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 15:49

slategrey252 wrote:
AcidWeb wrote:
Consistently? No.

Eve is more like an antisocial sandbox run in an asylum by the inmates whilst jacked up on mood altering drugs. I know, I played it for a long while.
I don't really have a problem with that. Asylums can be fun and inmates can be exploited. But what I'm really after is another X game or a game that I can treat as an X game and sadly it appears that Eve aint it.

IceDown
x4

Post by IceDown » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 15:56

Diziet Sma wrote:
IceDown wrote:I'm back at EvE myself. It's basically X, except that every ship (except cannon fodder enemies) has to be piloted by a human. You can't physically pilot your ship but don't take that wrong, but during an actual heated battle, you have enough to worry about.
I'm still a bit hazy on the the control aspect of combat so let me clarify with a question.

If 2 opponents have the exact same ships is is possible for the smarter one to win consistently without luck?
Ship operations depends on your trained skills, not your flinch skills or (to a point) your equipment.

You control your ship by either telling it to orbit a ship or keep it at a distance. You can also give it a direction to go by clicking with the mouse. Most things come down to the orbit command, keeping your ship moving as fast as possible from their perspective while keeping their ship still from yours. Hit/miss are determined by calculations.

Also as has been pointed out, this is a Social game. Why fight against someone on equal footing? bring a couple of friends along. It's not good to lose a ship. Don't pick a fight you haven't won.

Dakota-
x4

Post by Dakota- » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 16:34

Llothlian wrote:You go girl, stick it to the man. :roll:
Comments like these about a very valid post in an interesting thread remind me why I hate forums so much.

You go girl, stick it to the man.

wwdragon
x4

Post by wwdragon » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 16:44

slategrey252 wrote:Eve is more like an antisocial sandbox run in an asylum by the inmates whilst jacked up on mood altering drugs. I know, I played it for a long while.
It's certainly either boring or frustrating most of the time. :lol:
Editing posts since long before I remember.

stars2heaven
x3ap

Post by stars2heaven » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 16:51

I'm currently playing Starpoint Gemini 1, which I got free for buying SPG 2. SPG 1 is a little rough around the edges but is decent so far. I'm really waiting for SPG 2, as it looks superb and plays just as well even in its current alpha build.

Dakota-
x4

Post by Dakota- » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 16:59

slategrey252 wrote:Eve is more like an antisocial sandbox run in an asylum by the inmates whilst jacked up on mood altering drugs. I know, I played it for a long while.
Agreed. Scary that the whole thing is run by "normal" people. Eh?
Last edited by Dakota- on Mon, 25. Nov 13, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

wwdragon
x4

Post by wwdragon » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 16:59

stars2heaven wrote:I'm currently playing Starpoint Gemini 1, which I got free for buying SPG 2. SPG 1 is a little rough around the edges but is decent so far. I'm really waiting for SPG 2, as it looks superb and plays just as well even in its current alpha build.
I played #1 of that game. It was a lot of fun. :)

I heard they changed a lot of things in the second one, so I'm unsure about getting it.
Editing posts since long before I remember.

stevedev
xr

x3 TC or AP with XRM?

Post by stevedev » Mon, 25. Nov 13, 17:00

I'm also in the crowd disappointed by Rebirth. When considering re-installing X3:TC (I own TC) -- Is AP really necessary? How much different / improvements over TC when considering playing with XRM mod? Which do you recommend?

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”