X Rebirth/Star Citizen

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Snaphaan
x3

X Rebirth/Star Citizen

Post by Snaphaan » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 07:34

How would you differentiate X Rebirth from Star Citizen except on the multiplayer issue?

I've dropped this question on reddit but would like to know (from more knowledgeable players). What Bernd said is true, it's a bit early to tell and, honestly, at the moment we don't even have enough knowledge of Rebirth to really make a good comparison. But still... could be a interesting discussion.

[Note: Please don't make this a loaded question. I think both games will be terrific so let's try and reign in some of the fanboyism for a bit of objectivity]

hourheroyes
x4

Post by hourheroyes » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 07:37

I believe the X games are much more of a detailed economy/empire/fleet simulator than Star Citizen, which will likely be a freelancer type of solo fighting game

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 07:45

Well, the easiest way to differentiate them in my mind is that Rebirth is coming out quite a bit sooner! Star Citizen isn't looking at a full release before 2014.

Tooonz

Post by Tooonz » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 08:01

Somebody brought this up again! :evil: :evil: :evil:

JClosed
x3tc

Post by JClosed » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 08:16

I just do not like multi-player games. Call me anti-social in this aspect, but I like to play my games without someone interfering, flying straight in the path of the rockets I just fired, giving comments on what I am doing or right out commanding me.

Star Citizen is developed as a multi-player game. Oh - I know there is a single player possibility, but -as I understand- this has not the same priority as the multi-player part. So - It's probably playable as single player, but with a lot of limitations. Anyway - the core of the development is pointed straight at the multi-player aspect

X Rebirth is developed as a single player game. And while there is a (somewhat remote) possibility multi-player will be added later on, the core of the game is pointed at the single player.

For that reason (and there are possibly more, but these things can only really determined when I have actually played X Rebirth) I am more exited for the release of X Rebirth than I am for the upcoming Star Citizen release.

That said - It is possible I could like Star Citizen also. It is difficult to say at this moment as the game is still in development. The multi-player aspect is the thing that worries me tough. I have so many games seen ruined by making them multi-player. As an example: I really liked to play the Unreal games in the past (and also the expansion packs like "return to Na Pali"), but for me they ruined the game utterly and completely by turning the next version into a fighting-arena game without any story. Blech!

Kittens David

Post by Kittens David » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 08:42

hourheroyes wrote:I believe the X games are much more of a detailed economy/empire/fleet simulator than Star Citizen, which will likely be a freelancer type of solo fighting game
Well, the easiest way to differentiate them in my mind is that Rebirth is coming out quite a bit sooner! Star Citizen isn't looking at a full release before 2014.

Indeed X-rebirth is coming in 2013 but totally unfished :

-no direct trade
-1 sole ship tiny
-No 3D map
-No precise command of your other ship
-No visual upgrade for the Albion Pride
-Dev have not listen to any of the fanbase complain.
-no multiplayer
-No control of sector by the player
-Other faction big ship just popping out of nowhere

In fact Devs count on the modders base to correct what they haven't done.

On the other side you will find Star Citizen

-Multi ships from tiny fighter to heavy carrier.
-Highly detailed inside ship where you can freely walk in
-Multiplayer and the possibility to take other player within your ship and have them man the turrets, pilot the docked fighter, wak freely or simply sit on the co pilot seat.
-Direct trading
-even better graphic (X-rebirth are already high)
-Devs listening to the fan base
-Zone under player control
-Solo campaign and multiplayer campaign

Ok only coming out in 2014 but only under development for 2 years while X-rebirth is in development for 7 years and still lack most features...

I am not saying one is better than the other they can be both great game. But right out of the box no doubt SC will be better than X-rebirth. X-rebirth like all X always relied on the modders community to shine and hopefully the modders will make X-rebirth shine taking out one by one the limitations the devs settled in for god knows why. And YES X-rebirth will greatly shine once well moded like every X did giving us hours of happy fly.

PS: had to post edit and turn it red as none went to there and thus thought I was rambling again X-rebirth which I'm not. May be I don't agree with most of the dev choices but I have faith in the modders' community to correct their departures from the previou x.
Last edited by Kittens David on Sun, 1. Sep 13, 12:35, edited 3 times in total.

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 09:18

Hey @Kittens David how about this one.

X-Rebirth, you'll be able to carve the universe to your liking.

Star Citizen, you'll just be another fish in the pond getting killed by someone who is sad enough to pay to win.

JClosed
x3tc

Post by JClosed » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 09:20

@ Kittens David...

Sorry - but you are making a lot of assumptions you cannot prove. Also the thing you mention are (in my eyes) no shortcomings.

---no direct trade.

No - you can trade using ships that are specially designed to do trading, with a crew that is trained to do so. Looks far more exiting than flying a slow freight ship from point a to point b, unload freight, load fright - rinse and repeat..

---No 3D map

Hmm... maybe a point, but do we really need it?

---No precise command of your other ship

This is pure speculation - I have no idea how commands to other ships/crew will work in X Rebirth, and how detailed that is.. And so do you!

---No visual upgrade for the Albion Pride

Again - you do not know if that is possible or not. Anyway - please tell me what effect this has on game play? It is just a little gadget missing, but not anything that has to do with the game play at all. Anyway - It is clearly stated that it can be possible to add later on.

---Dev have not listen to any of the fanbase complain.

Oh come on - the game will be completely moddable. They literately give the game in the hands of the community, so they can modify the hell out of it. Egosoft has always listen to their community, and I see no signs that this has changed in any way. And also - a lot of things in X Rebirth are there because the fan base asked for it. No they cannot please everybody, but isn't that the same for Star Citizen?

---no multiplayer

Thank God no. I do not want the game ruined by concentrating on a multi-player aspect (in the sense of MMO like Star Citizen)

---No control of sector by the player

Pardon me? It is clearly stated the player can take over the entire sector completely if he/she/it really wants that. Take a look at the Q/A from last friday.

---Other faction big ship just popping out of nowhere

Again - it is clearly stated these ships are not "spawned" randomly but have to be build before. Sure - they can jump, but they have to jump from somewhere. If you destroy that ship that will have consequences at the location it was coming from. So - again a non-sense remark.

--- In fact Devs count on the modders base to correct what they haven't done.

Wait, wait! You said they do not listen and at the same time you admit they give the fan base an "open channel" to make their wishes? It does not occurs to you that the developers have laid down a foundation, where users can be involved how the rest will be build. And that's "not listen to the fan base"? Really... And also - claiming that the modders must "correct what they haven't done" implies you think that the developers did a lousy job - rather insulting if you ask me... especially since you have no idea how the real game play will be in the finished product.

While you have some points, I really think you are over-simplifying here. Especially the "Dev wont listen" aspect. As I said - Star Citizen could be interesting, but the MMO aspect is turning me off. I just don't believe single players have any priority in that Star Citizen game.
Last edited by JClosed on Sun, 1. Sep 13, 09:36, edited 2 times in total.

Snaphaan
x3

Post by Snaphaan » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 09:20

Kittens David wrote:
hourheroyes wrote:I believe the X games are much more of a detailed economy/empire/fleet simulator than Star Citizen, which will likely be a freelancer type of solo fighting game

Indeed X-rebirth is coming in 2013 but totally unfished :

-no direct trade
-1 sole ship tiny
-No 3D map
-no multiplayer

On the other side you will find Star Citizen

-Multiplayer and the possibility to take other player within your ship and have them man the turrets, pilot the docked fighter, wak freely or simply sit on the co pilot seat.
-Direct trading

Ok only coming out in 2014 but only under development for 2 years while X-rebirth is in development for 7 years and still lack most features...

I am not saying one is better than the other they can be both great game. But right out of the box no doubt SC will be better than X-rebirth. X-rebirth like all X always relied on the modders community to shine and hopefully the modders will make X-rebirth shine taking out one by one the limitations the devs settled in for god knows why.
I'm trying to determine in what way X Rebirth will differentiate itself from Star Citizen - except the single/multiplayer aspect which has been discussed to DEATH.

So, basically you are stating that both games are aiming to be the same and rebirth is pulling the short straw??

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 09:21

Seriusly stop talking about Star Citizen. Hate me, but I am with Egosoft since 2004 and NOTHING can beat their games.

Snaphaan
x3

Post by Snaphaan » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 09:38

This isn't a critique about which game is the best, but HOW they differenciate themselves gameplay wise.

I don't want a flame war between SC and rebirth supporters, please.

Tooonz

Post by Tooonz » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 09:42

Ok, here we go again :D

The decision to have one ship has been discussed many times, I'm not going to touch it here. You don't have to like it, but at this point it really doesn't need to be brought up again. Besides, some people have stated that they like this.
Haven't you seen the inside of the skunk?
-Multiplayer and the possibility to take other player within your ship and have them man the turrets, pilot the docked fighter, walk freely or simply sit on the co pilot seat.
X has always been a single player universe and that's generally what it's fanbase(myself included) has expressed it's wanted. To argue that single player or multiplayer is better is like arguing that a truck or a sport scar is better. While they are both vehicles they are owned by different people for different reasons. This debate is rather pointless and I really should stop replying to things like this that keep getting brought up every few days :shock:
-Direct trading
There is direct trading, just not direct trading in larger wares that are meant to be carried in large transport ships.
I dunno much about the graphical comparison, but considering the full release of star citizen will be quite a long time after rebirth I would hope so.
The Devs just did a marathon Q&A on reddit and addressed pretty much every issue that has come up. Remember, X games are a constant work in progress so, by the time star citizen is released many of the things you've listed could very well be a part of rebirth.

From what I understand, Rebirth will be a lot more open and while it is divided into zones and clusters etc, you can travel anywhere, there is no loading screans or definite boarders within a solar system. I'm really not sure how you would define boarders. That being said, the devs have said if the players really want it, they will put territory control in a a future date.
Once again, this brings up the multi vs singleplayer debate which is a matter of personal preference.

The X games have never really been finished until years after release. It has been stated that after release the devs will put out a poll and let the community vote on what else they would like to see in Rebirth. I have little doubt that the ability to only pilot one ship will be on the top of that list. As i stated earlier, by the time SC is released many of the things people have brought up about rebirth could very well be in the game.

Aesran
x3ap

Post by Aesran » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 09:42

Oh please .. Kitten david ... Stop crying, if you don't like the view of the game by the developper, don't buy it and get Star Citizen.

You already exposed you fear and you'll get answer so if you not happy .. Don"t post your troll message.

Is not because you think the game is unpolished, that was true for all of us. for me, the game look awesome.

-no direct trade => We can trade, we just use a large ship because our ship is to tiny to stock.

-1 sole ship tiny => He look awesome ! And we can dock in our capital

-No 3D map => For what ? They already say a tactic map is possible near futur

-No precise command of your other ship => It's a troll.

-No visual upgrade for the Albion Pride => I can live with that ...

-Dev have not listen to any of the fanbase complain. => No listen ?! Have you problem with you ear ?! Bern answer to you, he made a LONG AMA for answer ar our question and it's was take a time for him.

-no multiplayer => Multi there, multi there .. I don't like multiplayer game, i wan't can play solo, visit a other world after a journey of work. Can be alone to relax.

-No control of sector by the player > You can alway destroy all opposant, and maybe in future that was implemented

-Other faction big ship just popping out of nowhere => FALSE, take time to read AMA

So now, stopping trolling pls, you are angry, we have see and understand, but dont ruin thread of other player.

Thank.

Burneyx
x4

Post by Burneyx » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 09:44

For me X-Rebirth will be my number one Space Trading Empire builder, where i can freely sandbox to my liking.

Star Citizen(witch i supported right from the start) will be my online counterpart, when im in the mood for interaction with other players.

Both are completely different games and will please completely different player needs. Comparing them is kinda pointless, from my point of view.

Snaphaan
x3

Post by Snaphaan » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 09:45

JClosed wrote:I just don't believe single players have any priority in that Star Citizen game.
I have that same feeling. The reason why my jaw dropped when I heard Rebirth was focused on SP only. MY brother and I excepted the cold hard truth that X4 will be multiplayer focused.

You know what. This might actually have done Egosoft more good than harm in the long run.

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 09:50

Snaphaan wrote:This isn't a critique about which game is the best, but HOW they differenciate themselves gameplay wise.

I don't want a flame war between SC and rebirth supporters, please.
^ That's nice to know.

There are valid things to discuss about both of these wonderful space sim developments.

Someone pointed out on these forums sometime back, that it is not a smart move to disrespect either enterprise as the space sim has been on life-support for a while now and deserves support 'as a genre' full stop.

A healthy attitude of supporting all such developments is the logical way forward if we want to keep the dream alive.

I have been following SC like many and can only say I will not be able to really comment on gameplay aspects until it is released, just the same as for XR, and am happy to leave it at that. (really, really looking forward to both!)
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

JClosed
x3tc

Post by JClosed » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 09:53

@Burneyx

......... aaaannnd.... BINGO!

@ Snaphaan

Completely agree...

And I can add... We still don't know how X Rebirth will really be! We only have seen some glimpse, but that's only a small part. Until the game is really played for some time by several players, it is impossible to determine how the game will turn out to be...

Rabiator der II.
x3ap

Post by Rabiator der II. » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 12:51

Kittens David wrote:Indeed X-rebirth is coming in 2013 but totally unfished :

-no direct trade
-1 sole ship tiny
-No 3D map
-no multiplayer

I agree about the "1 sole ship tiny" but the rest are either unknown or reasonable design decisions:

-no direct trade:
I understand that it might be similar to Privateer 2. Which is not so bad if freighters to hire are readily available. And it gets rid of having to justify how a small ship can carry a meaningful amount of goods.

-No 3D map:
If the layout of the zones is mostly in the ecliptic, a 2D map is a usable compromise. It worked for Wing Commander, and the X3 map was only limted 3D either.

-No precise command of your other ship:
We really need to know more about the command menu before making a judgment here.

-No visual upgrade for the Albion Pride:
Who cares. I'd rather get a straightforward better ship than putting lipstick on the pig. See also "1 sole ship tiny" where I agree.

-Dev have not listen to any of the fanbase complain:
It's a bit late to change everything. I think it is better to release now and add the missing stuff, whatever that is, in patches. Some players (me included) might wait for certain patches before they buy the game, but that's OK.

-no multiplayer:
That would be really massive extra development work. Besides, I have doubts about the X universe working well in multiplayer. By the time everyone has built a complex, the universe would look like Manhattan :o

-No control of sector by the player:
We really need to know more about the game mechanics before making a judgment here.

-Other faction big ship just popping out of nowhere:
Well they do have jump drives. Get used to it :P
Gazz in the LT forum:
In X3, piracy is not implemented at all. All the "pirates" that fly around are bands of roaming psychopaths that destroy everything they see without even trying to loot anything.

Ferîx
xr

Post by Ferîx » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 13:59

Ohh, not this sh!te again, god please /0\. Another SC baker with his very precise prophecy on how things gonna be. Or it's just mr. Sameperson C. Barrenearth?

Back to topic - the single fact that XR have not multiplayer makes it totally different from SC. Even with same or similar features introduced, the feel and realization will be totally different. It's like Doom 3 and HL2 when they both were released. Like, what's the real difference between two scripted FPS really? But it's tremendously different feeling when you play them.

Feuille

Post by Feuille » Sun, 1. Sep 13, 15:54

Kittens David wrote:
I am not saying one is better than the other they can be both great game. But right out of the box no doubt SC will be better than X-rebirth.

You should rather say: What Starcitizen have, there is not in Rebirth.
Absurd comparison between these two games, also the most points you mention on Rebirth are falses.
Last edited by Feuille on Sun, 1. Sep 13, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
Space travel ? -> http://en.spaceengine.org ;)

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”