Problem with hacking Trojan drones

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Vandragorax
x4

Problem with hacking Trojan drones

Post by Vandragorax » Sun, 8. Mar 15, 01:49

Mostly this is fine, but now and again there is one hack which will randomly shoot across the screen at such ludicrous speed, there's literally no way in hell to hit it right. If you are also unlucky and get the wave peak at the start of the bar, you're literally screwed.

Please can these stupid "quick" hacks be removed and just keep all the other speeds? I find it very very frustrating, to the point of quitting the game, because I have to hack 8 points on a station or ship and one of them will always end up failing due to being literally impossible to catch!

GCU Grey Area
x4

Re: Problem with hacking Trojan drones

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sun, 8. Mar 15, 02:20

BlackDemon wrote:If you are also unlucky and get the wave peak at the start of the bar, you're literally screwed.
In those situations you don't have to try to get it right away. If you leave it on the first pass it will reverse direction when it gets to the far end to give you a second attempt. Even if the critical area isn't right at the start it can often be worth waiting for the second pass, just to get slightly longer to judge how fast it's moving (particularly useful in the case of the fast hacks).

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 8. Mar 15, 10:26

I don't usually rage when playing, but the quick hacks make me kick tables.

YES, remove them, OR make the game run at constant 60 FPS - the minigames themselves are fine IMO, but they require too much precision.

Also I have to click much sooner. Usually I click as soon as the hacking minigame starts - because there's a very long delay between clicking and actual registration of the click in game.

Also, I think that there are small gaps in the "pink" signal, which means that even if you are in the pink area, sometimes you fail because there's a gap.
Nothing's more annoying than this, because the gaps are small, you don't even spot them in time, it's completly random.

My opinion? Completly remove all fast minigame levels, only leave the slowest/easiest and a little bit of medium.
The fastest ones just don't fit in (for both smalltalk and hacking).

It's too random at the moment.
Randomisation should not determine player's success. That's very wrong.
Even though I know that Egosoft didn't really mean to make it like this.

Araknis
x4

Post by Araknis » Sun, 8. Mar 15, 18:24

Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:I don't usually rage when playing, but the quick hacks make me kick tables.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

9 hack points needed for the Arawn, if you wanna cap it without destroying the surface elements of the downside and use them for the minigame.

ALL of which are on the upper side and right and left, which means you need 100% success otherwise you have to start all over....

M.Kessel
xr

Post by M.Kessel » Wed, 18. Mar 15, 17:07

Or maybe, just maybe replaced with another minigame, that is not so ridiculous fast and dexterity/framerate based.

Maybe an intelligence game, instead of the actual lagged in space with no chance in hell of success game?

Please?

... because there is no chance in hell I will hack anything ever again, if you do not change this minigame. With this behaviour of the hacking, you're efforts to change the hacking keys are totally worthless. Because the CORE of your hacking is not working well enough to risk hacking. We really do not need more complicated keys/tools/whatnot to hack, we need a basic working hacking mechanism. Maybe even deactivate this minigame in the options, until you get a better solid sollution. BUT do something with it.

Outside of the stations it is sometimes absolutly impossible. Because you do not know, when it finally pops up. You have, with lags, no control when the click will be accepted.

Another pointless annoying "feature".
I'm depressed

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Wed, 18. Mar 15, 18:17

Something could be learned from looking at, for example, this hacking method (which is not unique to EVE, hacking style minigames have been done like this before)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyBsFs-gtaQ

I Know that this method wouldn't work for all the places where a mini-game has been deemed necessary, like small talk etc. and personally I kinda think with a few tweaks, the current system is ok for small talk (unless frame rate is very low as mentioned by someone else - but then you could also argue that you can't design your game around people having low frame rates on sub-par hardware)

but... for hacking ships or station computers, this sort of idea would be MUCH more preferable, it uses more thought and patience to be careful with your choices, making the player more involved in their actions. Also having a different style of mini-game for each type of action would help distinguish between them - bringing more variety and ultimately more fun.

I also see another bad example of hacking using the stupid "moving marker" method here, and you notice how many times the player messes it up, gets annoyed, and just presses the button as fast as possible.... and this is with it giving them the buffer of going back to the last 'stage' if they mess up, not just failing the WHOLE THING instantly! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EDACZlhC4I

Out of these two methods, clearly the first one, here shown being done in EVE, is the superior. They also did it this way very similar in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and some other games I can't remember now without looking them up.

wwdragon
x4

Post by wwdragon » Wed, 18. Mar 15, 20:03

Most minigames, in all games are at best something to get through.

I think the hacking should just be a straight up hackable or not, based on it's MK level.
Editing posts since long before I remember.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 19. Mar 15, 00:02

I personally hate the minigame, both for hacking and for smalltalk. The computer lag coupled with the dexterity requirements just don't go with this style game, IMO. If I wanted to play an arcade game, I'd go play an arcade game. :P I got so fed up with it I installed a little mod that allows me to 'win' each one at max level, no matter where I click. Saved my sanity, it did. It's still very tedious to do, but at least I don't have to constantly save/reload to keep from failing. :roll:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Thu, 19. Mar 15, 02:45

The main problem is that the minigames are not really minigames, just a button pressing procedure repeated several times, instead of a well thought small game mechanic.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”