XML Editors

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

galatei_tf
x4

Post by galatei_tf » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 14:36

WHY OH WHY would you put Visual Studio as an XML Editor ??? This is freaking elephant vs cockroach scenario. If you really, really want to stick with Microsoft product, use free XML Notepad (http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download ... px?id=7973).
Don't use big ****** mother of all IDEs, for tiny little XML editing task. Don't
bloat everybody's system with unnecessary stuff, please.

killerog
x4

Post by killerog » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 14:54

What are you on about ? He gives a suggestion of a program to use, one he uses and a program lots of us use in our day to day lives. He is not forcing anyone to use any programs.

No idea how its a "bloat" anyway, few gigs of space when most people have 100s if not 1000s of gigs space now. God this forum is off to a good start :/

aerojet029
x4

Post by aerojet029 » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 00:24

i'd recommend notepad++, free, easy and quick

dillpickle
x3tc

Post by dillpickle » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 00:51

aerojet029 wrote:i'd recommend notepad++, free, easy and quick
Visual Studio Express is free...

What visual studio will do that notepad++ won't, is make use of the schemas that are included with the MD, AI scripts etc... which lets you know which conditions actions etc... can be used in a given circumstance (examples) and saves you guessing and bashing your head against a wall trying to use actions that don't exist....

aerojet029
x4

Post by aerojet029 » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 02:33

i didn't say there were not better alternatives, but for a lightweight, quick opening, notepad text editor feel.. i like it

Nebogloee
x3tc

Post by Nebogloee » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 02:41

I would second notepad++. Geany is nice, and for larger mod projects helps organize the complexity. It has a large set of plugins/addons as well.

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 02:59

The whole point of using an XML editor is that it's able to use the schemas. If notepad++ can't use those you might just as well use the normal notepad that comes with windows. ;)

Now if Notepad++ has extensions to support that it's a different situation but if not I don't see why anyone should recommend using another program that's missing the main point why one should use an XML editor in the first place.

Nebogloee
x3tc

Post by Nebogloee » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 08:42

You get schema validation and syntax highlighting with n++. Just none of the fancy ide stuff. For that I like geany or a heavily modified vim. But to each their own. VSE is probably the easiest get-up-and-go one though.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”