UI Modding Possible? What about conversations/voice acting?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

salec

UI Modding Possible? What about conversations/voice acting?

Post by salec » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 20:37

I've been digging through some of the modding docs while I sit here at work and I'm not seeing much info concerning UI modding. Does anyone know if it's possible?

What about conversation topics and voice acting? I'm a bit tired of having the same conversation scripts come up and would like to throw in a few additional ones.

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 20:43

Conversations and voice acting are no problem technically, just a lot of work.

UI modding is and will be very limited until we get access to the LUA files (which might never actually happen).

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 20:49

hmph. I thought the LUA files were supposed to be open season for modders. :? That was the pitch from months ago, anyway...
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

salec

Post by salec » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 20:56

Are they precompiled Lua scripts or just embedded in the cat files?

Lua is great for modding as long as the API is well documented and up to date. Here's hoping :)

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 21:07

Hold the phone, Rebirth uses Lua for the UI? I'd love to get my hands on that, but how do we know this?

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 21:15

MegaJohnny wrote:Hold the phone, Rebirth uses Lua for the UI? I'd love to get my hands on that, but how do we know this?
in the Cats/dats there is a folder which is called ui/core/lua and contains over two dozen xpl files ;)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

MutantDwarf
x4

Post by MutantDwarf » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 21:50

salec wrote:Are they precompiled Lua scripts or just embedded in the cat files?

Lua is great for modding as long as the API is well documented and up to date. Here's hoping :)
It uses precompiled LuaJIT files. They can be decompiled, but I'm not sure if we can recompile them in order to use them, and the decompiled files don't include things like variable names. They're still just barely readable, though.

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 00:27

MutantDwarf wrote:

It uses precompiled LuaJIT files. They can be decompiled, but I'm not sure if we can recompile them in order to use them, and the decompiled files don't include things like variable names. They're still just barely readable, though.
They don't need to necessarily be compiled again. There were and probably are ways to make uncompiled ones take precedent.

Syphus

Post by Syphus » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 00:33

As an actor, feel free to hire me to do all the voices you desire.

L00cK

Post by L00cK » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 01:28

Would be a shame if they dont let the modders mod a pc friendly ui, i guess egosoft will not change their ui because they were really proud of their controller friendly ui at the preiview events.

Chobittsu
x4

Post by Chobittsu » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 01:46

Syphus wrote:As an actor, feel free to hire me to do all the voices you desire.
Same, I work for peanuts

stk25
x3ap

Post by stk25 » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 02:16

enenra wrote:
MutantDwarf wrote:

They don't need to necessarily be compiled again. There were and probably are ways to make uncompiled ones take precedent.
It looked like the LuaJIT decompiler only decompiled it to some intermediate Lua assembly format though, it doesn't resemble Lua at all, not sure if the Lua engine in XR could read them. Then again though I might have been decompiling them wrong...
Be much better if Ego would release the Lua sources :roll:
Last edited by stk25 on Wed, 20. Nov 13, 01:22, edited 1 time in total.

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 12:19

@stk25 It's not unlikely to happen. ^^
The question is when...

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”