Split casual names

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

strask412
x4

Split casual names

Post by strask412 » Fri, 19. Jun 20, 22:27

Hi all! Here's a question for any lore experts out there -- despite my intense desire to do so, I have not yet read any of the novels. Nor even, probably, every bit of the Argonopedia.

If I have a split pilot named To t'Pst, what (if anything) should I call her if I'm being all casual and friendly because we've been comrades in arms for so long?

Is she just "To" to me? Or do I get her attention with a "hey, Pst!"? Something else?

I'm clueless. Is the human habit of shortening names in situations of familiarity just not applicable to Split?
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Split casual names

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 19. Jun 20, 23:05

If a pilot well-known to you, and assuming you are on good terms, it would have to be 'Totty'. The Split just have to accept nicknames as 'things humans like to use' and learn to recognise and respond to them; they don't necessarily have to understand any connotations. :D

Remember that To t'Pst probably isn't their real or full given and family name anyway (or at least not all of it as when using all inter-Split communication nuances and senses) but just something that came out of a translation device that was mutually agreed as 'representative'.

(I shudder to think what would come out of Ho t'Sht working for you.)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Sat, 20. Jun 20, 00:35

It’s good to hear there are those who get on well with their Split crew.
I am particularly fond of a Taladi crew member, she greets me with a smile a fresh cup of tea, and if I am lucky a home made scruffin pie.
I just call her, “ Oi “
To this she becomes most affectionate, and I have to remind her of her place in the whole scheme of things.
Me being the Omnipotent one in my universe.
Her obedience returns , and she backs away submissively to the Galley.

How ever the Split crew are not so easy to command, It can be quite a struggle to fend the ladies off.

But a quick “ B’tont” shuts them up.
:o

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Sat, 20. Jun 20, 00:42

Alan Phipps wrote:
Fri, 19. Jun 20, 23:05
The Split just have to accept nicknames as 'things humans like to use' and learn to recognise and respond to them; they don't necessarily have to understand any connotations. :D
Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Sat, 20. Jun 20, 00:35
How ever the Split crew are not so easy to command, It can be quite a struggle to fend the ladies off.
Ah, that's my bad for not providing full context. I'm doing a playthrough as Rael t'Nru (the Spear of the Patriarch gamestart), so I am, myself, a Split lady. Who presumably needs no translator. :)
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Mon, 22. Jun 20, 10:20

Alan Phipps wrote:
Fri, 19. Jun 20, 23:05
(I shudder to think what would come out of Ho t'Sht working for you.)
He/she, of course, isn't getting a nick name, as his/her name is already really cool.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Wed, 24. Jun 20, 13:02

Considering the importance of family lines and ties in Split culture, you'd probably refer to people who are very close to you or in your inner circle by familial (or familial-inspired) terms, whatever that translates to in Split language.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Wed, 24. Jun 20, 20:55

Split cares not about nicknames. Split cares about glory and giving crushing defeat to ennemies.
Nicknames are for weak Argon beings.
:split:
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 24. Jun 20, 21:20

I seem to recall in X3 seeing one Split who was name Ho T'sht or something like that

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Thu, 25. Jun 20, 07:30

I call them babe and mate, which sometimes is a bit of a tough one when you are calling one person out in the crew of a large ship and suddenly you are surrounded by 70 people. :gruebel:

Return to “X4: Foundations”