Sometimes I feel that modular space stations are not a good idea

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

GCU Grey Area
x4

Re: Sometimes I feel that modular space stations are not a good idea

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 1. May 24, 12:44

charlie1024 wrote:
Wed, 1. May 24, 11:48
So, manually adjusting 10~20 ships' position in hand is good?
I do get better results with manually positioned ships, however it's not essential. Have recently been experimenting with configuring my demolition fleet destroyers into 2 groups, each consisting of a lead ship with 6 subordinates (they're all Rays by the way). For the most part this approach has worked well & does not preclude making manual adjustments to individual ships if I feel it's necessary (most of the time it hasn't been).

Only additional complication I've had to watch out for with this approach is the formation the ships use. If it's particularly wide then, when a destroyer group's moving from one position to another, destroyers on the edge of the formation nearest to the station may fly a bit closer than is ideal. Has been important to consider where subordinates may go when selecting the fly & wait location for the lead ship. After trying many different formations ended up using Inverse Point Guard for my destroyers. It's a relatively compact formation & also places the lead ship at the front (so I know that when I place the fly & wait order no subordinates will fly ahead of this position).

charlie1024
x4

Post by charlie1024 » Wed, 1. May 24, 13:01

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Wed, 1. May 24, 12:44
charlie1024 wrote:
So, manually adjusting 10~20 ships' position in hand is good?
I do get better results with manually positioned ships, however it's not essential. Have recently been experimenting with configuring my demolition fleet destroyers into 2 groups, each consisting of a lead ship with 6 subordinates (they're all Rays by the way). For the most part this approach has worked well & does not preclude making manual adjustments to individual ships if I feel it's necessary (most of the time it hasn't been).

Only additional complication I've had to watch out for with this approach is the formation the ships use. If it's particularly wide then, when a destroyer group's moving from one position to another, destroyers on the edge of the formation nearest to the station may fly a bit closer than is ideal. Has been important to consider where subordinates may go when selecting the fly & wait location for the lead ship. After trying many different formations ended up using Inverse Point Guard for my destroyers. It's a relatively compact formation & also places the lead ship at the front (so I know that when I place the fly & wait order no subordinates will fly ahead of this position).
Good. Afaik, some causes of the running directly has been related to the formation, not the only one though. Anyway, at least I agree with Ray, I haven't seen any issues with the Ray. They had hard times to decide where their attack point is(center mass theory fail sometimes), but I didn't seen any Ray running directly to the station.

I also prefer the (Inverse) Point Guard formation. The formation will be not good at moving(They blobs), but this formation is the best one for attacking. That's really true. Actually Egosoft has been making an effort to improve this problem, so good anyway.

However, I personally agree the original OP said, coming back to the original topic, reconstructing wreckage is far troublesome. Even with 0% hull stations, they sometimes don't be destructed. I personally destroy all the construction storages before attacking the station to avoid the issue, but I think this should be improved somehow.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 2. May 24, 19:47

charlie1024 wrote:
For good LOS, it is good to get the ships below or above the station.
Some factions do build vertical (unlike Xenon); you will see more modules from side than from above.

Have you had ship above (or below) Terran habitat? Its "invisible".

TroubledRabbit wrote:
Tue, 30. Apr 24, 21:24
Queving orders (which is very good by itself) is not an answer: situation changes
True, it is a convenience for those who do (already) micromanage and covers only "predictable future".
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “X4: Foundations”