Energy cells should be non-refundable

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Falcrack
x4

Energy cells should be non-refundable

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 22. Apr 24, 15:53

When deconstructing stations, it makes sense that wares such as hull parts and claytronics should be put back into build storage, as these are physical wares. But it makes little sense that you would get energy cells back, since the energy would have been used to assemble the station in the first place.

If you are tearing down a house, you can get the wood and bricks back (not likely all in usable form), but you aren't going to get the gas or electricity back that was used during the initial construction. In fact, logically it should cost energy cells to disassemble a station as well as assemble it.

flywlyx
x4

Re: Energy cells should be non-refundable

Post by flywlyx » Mon, 22. Apr 24, 16:14

The laws of thermodynamics don't hold sway in X4; it's certainly possible to recover the energy.

BitByte
x4

Post by BitByte » Mon, 22. Apr 24, 16:49

I would concider energy cells more like rechargable batteries and that module will contain them as power source.
So these "batteries" could be returned from module to build storage.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 22. Apr 24, 20:19

BitByte wrote:
Mon, 22. Apr 24, 16:49
I would concider energy cells more like rechargable batteries and that module will contain them as power source.
Depleted batteries still need to be charged.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Wed, 24. Apr 24, 14:11

I agree.

Back when player-owned Wharfs and Shipyards were a bit broken (or the feature not complete yet) Players stripping modules off of ships there did NOT get any of the Materials refunded as the UI suggested. Back then, I suggested that the player SHOULD get the materials refunded, except for EC. Things have since been fixed and, generally, materials will be refunded at a Player-owned Wharf or Shipyard - though the numbers don't always match what the UI says - I think losing the EC's would be a good thing. Indeed, it should COST EC's to remove something from a ship if anything.

While I'd be more realistic, I'd rather not go down the route of the game having a new ware of "Depleted EC", so let's assume they're totally consumed when used.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 24. Apr 24, 17:52

Let's look at it another way. The Energy used to construct the module comes from the drones that build it. Now suppose the Energy Cells are embedded into the structure as the future power source for that module, being recharged whenever energy is delivered to or created by the station. It would make sense that the Energy Cells would be recovered along with all the other components if the module were recycled. That would also account for the big explosions when a module is destroyed. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 24. Apr 24, 17:58

Nanook wrote:
Wed, 24. Apr 24, 17:52
Let's look at it another way. The Energy used to construct the module comes from the drones that build it. Now suppose the Energy Cells are embedded into the structure as the future power source for that module, being recharged whenever energy is delivered to or created by the station. It would make sense that the Energy Cells would be recovered along with all the other components if the module were recycled. That would also account for the big explosions when a module is destroyed. :)
The energy powering the drones for the construction of the station would logically come from the energy cells required for station construction, but whatever.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 24. Apr 24, 18:04

I'd think it came from the builder ship when a drone returns after each (short) trip. But whatever. :wink:

Or more logically, their power source is built into them the same way as it is in all other ships in the X-Universe.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

abisha1980
x4

Post by abisha1980 » Wed, 24. Apr 24, 19:38

it will only hurt the player, state never cares about economics.
Retail investor, η+18,9% 2022 (η+7.1% 2023) (η+0,74 2024) 95% in bonds.
Young people don't be freaking stupid invest also (not in BTC but in real stocks)

Vovadrik
x4

Post by Vovadrik » Wed, 24. Apr 24, 20:35

BitByte wrote:
Mon, 22. Apr 24, 16:49
In X3 you needed crystals to produce energy cells, but in X4 energy is literally free. Energy plant is nearly free and does not need anything to work. Maybe they should either increase price of power plant or it should consume something

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 25. Apr 24, 01:42

I don't think the solar power plant needs anything. Its economic value is one of the lowest in the game as it is. You can't make a lot of credits just selling energy cells, especially since most NPC stations don't ask for them at a reasonable price. Solar power plants are starter stations to which you add other modules that do make credits.

TroubledRabbit

Post by TroubledRabbit » Thu, 25. Apr 24, 04:28

assymetry in X3 (NPCs did not need any silicon for ECells only player) was kind of annoyance - because you were left with the product (silicon waffers you could only use for yourself and it did not 'add-up' evenly (for a reason).

I assume that 'free energy' was simplest solution to the problem complicated additionally by modularity of stations - there is no need to differentiate between 'inside production' (essentially 'free') and 'export production' (which would need something to make e-cells) and NPCs and player are on the same level.

ofc 'there should be mod for that!'. ;)
Even Lower Spec (occasional) Gamer

Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, kernel line: 5.15, X11
T14 AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650U/Renoir, 32GB

Return to “X4: Foundations”