Asus tuf a17 laptop, slide show, help?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nosscar
x4

Asus tuf a17 laptop, slide show, help?

Post by Nosscar » Wed, 9. Feb 22, 16:09

Tried coming back to this game after 2 years, ran ok on my desktop before, but now i have a laptop. i installed it and it runs like a slide show.
I have an ASUS Tuf a17 laptop, Ryzen 7 4800h cpu, nvidea gtx 1660 ti discrete gpu, with onboard amd gpu, i have set high performance for x4 in graphics settings and display settings, and in armoury crate.
So it should be using discrete card, I turned off auto gpu in game settings, and it is showing as using the nvidia gpu, but it runs like it is not really using that, but still using onboard amd one.

I restarted laptop once and it ran ok, (weird) like it found the right gpu, but since then it has reverted back to slideshow again, but i do know my laptop can run the game, and sure it is just a setting, or bug somewhere. I am using nvidia latest driver 511.65

Here is my dxdiag. it will not all fit in this post, so heres a link to full file.
https://1drv.ms/t/s!AiGN5OKl-ZpygZ1CfAq ... g?e=KUaazy
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/9/2022, 14:51:47
Machine name: STEVE-ASUS-TUF
Machine Id: {1ED7E32A-6EE4-4468-A219-57B96436D5B7}
Operating System: Windows 11 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 22000) (22000.co_release.210604-1628)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: ASUS TUF Gaming A17 FA706IU_FA706IU
BIOS: FA706IU.316 (type: UEFI)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics (16 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 15790MB RAM
Page File: 7611MB used, 18418MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
DirectX Database Version: 1.3.3
DxDiag Version: 10.00.22000.0001 64bit Unicode

------------
[ external image ]
Asus Tuf A17 Ryzen 7 - 4800h, GTX 1660ti, 16mb ram, ssd drive. win 11.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Asus tuf a17 laptop, slide show, help?

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 9. Feb 22, 17:03

What version of the game and is it modded? Does the save you play from have vast numbers of player assets or have you tried playing from a fresh start? If you haven't restarted, please try it and report back here.

Are you running any background apps that are not essential and/or maybe taking focus away from the game such as by 'phoning home' or checking for updates?

Are you using cpu or gpu throttling options?

Your DxDiag Windows Error Reporting is showing a host of serious LiveKernelEvents which are not good. That could just have been while Win 11 was bedding in, or it might indicate ongoing device driver issues, perhaps through compatibility issues with Win 11.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 10. Feb 22, 01:20

Check performance and monitoring metrics for CPU and GPU.

If you are getting high CPU usage then make sure the active cores are turboing to between 4.2 and 3.9 GHz. If it is running closer to 2.9GHz or lower then something is wrong with the CPU turbo or power budget that is heavily impacting performance. You can use either HWInfo or RyzenMaster to view current core clock.

If your discrete GPU is reporting low usage and your integrated GPU is reporting high usage then X4 did not attach to the correct GPU.

Similar to the CPU, check that the discrete GPU is reaching the expected frequencies when under high workload. This is more tricky due to how discrete laptop GPUs work but it should be running at over a GHz odd when under high load, and not some nominal few hundred MHz frequency.

Check thermals for both CPU and GPU using HWInfo or other utilities. If they are in the 80 to 100 degree Celsius range then there is likely thermal throttling happening. This could be caused by the cooling solution used not being attached firmly or correctly with the CPU and GPU, or heat sinks being clogged up.

Try disabling the integrated GPU forcing the use of the discrete GPU. If this works then there is some driver issue with the advertising or selection of the GPU to use. This is usually caused by hybrid GPU architectures trying to seamlessly use GPU based on situation and application being run, but getting it wrong or not working correctly.

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Thu, 10. Feb 22, 16:26

I have tried to start a new game, because of all the updates since i last played. I even tried disabling onboard graphics card, and it is still the same, i put the game in windowed mode, and ran my armoury crate for all the stats, whilst game was running.seems to be using low cpu and gpu resources.

https://i.imgur.com/xvxM5P4.png maybe it is just a windows 11 thing, might have to wait for more updates, i am running no mods, just basic and new game.

https://i.imgur.com/2P7ZsaO.png
https://i.imgur.com/zQs8q9M.png
Last edited by CBJ on Thu, 10. Feb 22, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Oversized images replaced with links
[ external image ]

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Thu, 10. Feb 22, 16:57

i also have made a short video, with geforce experience performance inlay, this might give more useful info.
https://vimeo.com/675936463

Heres is the same performance graph in another game.

https://i.imgur.com/Y5cpepl.png

https://i.imgur.com/PYh90YX.png

looks like x4 is hardly using the gpu resources available.
Last edited by CBJ on Thu, 10. Feb 22, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Oversized images replaced with links
[ external image ]

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Fri, 11. Feb 22, 17:02

well, tred switching the graphics card in game, and i got a red warning i was using onboard card, so the game is definately using my discrete nvidia card (gtx 1660ti), i just think this game is not optimised for modern laptops, or maybe the ryzen 7 - 4800h with 8 cores has it confused, any way looks like it is just unplayable for me unless a sulution is found, all other games play flawlessly, this laptop handles most if not all triple aaa games released recently.
I have tried it on lowest settings, vsync on/off, new game, no mods, just will not run except a jerlky slideshow.
[ external image ]

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 11. Feb 22, 19:27

This is extracted from your DxDiag for your discrete graphics card and doesn't look right in comparison with mine and other Nvidia users' DxDiags:

Current Mode: Unknown
HDR Support: Unknown
Display Topology: Unknown
Display Color Space: Unknown
Color Primaries: Unknown
Display Luminance: Unknown

Perhaps setting up your graphics card again, or maybe reinstalling or even updating the Nvidia driver might help. It looks much as if your OS and graphics card/display are not properly talking to each other.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 11. Feb 22, 21:38

GPU metrics look good. It is possibly CPU bound. It looks like 2.4 cores are being maxed out.

Windows 11 changes the scheduler to support hybrid processor architectures (performance and efficiency cores on Intel). It is possible that this upgrade has messed with the governor for your AMD CPU causing it to not boost or enter high powered state correctly.

Check for UEFI (BIOS) updates on the manufacturer's website. If there are any then install the latest since that will likely fix the problem. After doing that reinstall or upgrade your chipset drivers from AMD as that will also likely fix the problem. Finally make sure that when playing your power profile is set to not be energy saving since energy saving profiles usually disable CPU boost and cause them to operate at some fraction of CPU base frequency. The ideal gaming orientated power setting for Zen2 based CPUs like yours is usually "balanced", especially if an AMD profile for that exists.

During play your CPU should be drawing at least 20-30 watts, if permitted and busy cores hitting frequencies of around 4 GHz.

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Sat, 12. Feb 22, 11:34

ok, i will try that, thx, i will then post new diag report.
[ external image ]

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Sat, 12. Feb 22, 12:54

i have gone to asus wesite and re-installed latest bios and drivers, including asus own version of my nvidia driver, gerorce experience is now asking for me to upgrade to latest driver, but before i do that, i am re-installing x4, and trying with this driver, also taken a new dxdiag with the asus gpu driver, here is a link.

https://1drv.ms/t/s!AiGN5OKl-ZpygZ1Dwca ... g?e=89etDC

I seem to remember from a long time ago that audio drivers can cause problems with x4 games, so wondering if my oculus drivers could be somehow effecting it.
I will try game again once installed, and report back.
[ external image ]

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Sat, 12. Feb 22, 13:11

tried again before updating to latest nvidia driver, it is still the same, as you can see here.

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/676567681

also my resources during that video

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Sat, 12. Feb 22, 13:31

updated drivers now to latest nvidia using geforce experience, and it has made no difference, strangly loading screen seems smooth and 58fps, as soon as i load into a game, it goes back to being a slideshow. as seen here, also more performance stats shown.

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/676570892
[ external image ]

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 12. Feb 22, 14:29

All of the Windows Error Reports in that new DxDiag are Bad Dumpfile/LiveKernelEvent issues. Something is not happy between your laptop and Win 11, possibly with a driver.

You still have those 'unknowns' in the discrete graphics card section of the DxDiag.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 12. Feb 22, 15:14

This is a shot in the dark, but do you use Citrix for remote work?

I had some issues with some games after Citrix update than made them not use High-performance GPU, but integrated GPU, despite every setting and even GPU light on my laptop indicating that High-performance GPU is used.
I last year I was playing Withcer 3 with no problems, but the Citrix update changed it to 3-5 FPS slideshow for aparently no reason. I took me some time to figure that the Citrix was the cause.
I ran through all the drivers updates and it didn't helped at all, only uninstalling Citrix fixed the problem.

Even if you don't use Citrix it could be that there are other 3-rd party software application should could screw with you Laptop integrated/Performance GPU switch.

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Sun, 13. Feb 22, 12:05

no i never heard of citrix, i have tried disabling all other tasks so only x4 is running, still the same. Quite possible it is a win 11 compatibility issue, but as all my other games and programmes run fine, i don't want to reset back to win 10 for one game, i will jst wait and maybe try in the future , maybe sooner or later a win 11, egosoft or nvidia update might cure the problem.
Weird thing is that quite often the loading screen is smooth and shows 58-60 fps, but as soon as i enter into a game, new or saved , fps drops to 20's and slideshow.
[ external image ]

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”