6.20 (511811) Tug's and multiple Scrap processors

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

kennet0508
x4

6.20 (511811) Tug's and multiple Scrap processors

Post by kennet0508 » Thu, 28. Sep 23, 12:59

Hi

What:
It seems the coding for Tug's depositing salvage may need some love and or fine tuning.

Problem:
I currently have a HQ with 8 Scrap processors 4 facing up, 4 facing down (see Screenshot). And 20 Tug's assigned to salvage for staion

When IS (Sitting in the personal office viewing the HQ in third person), Tug's tend fly to the centre of the HQ, wait for a while, then several tug's seem to go to the same processor, instead of spreading out evenly between the several ones not in use. this leads to several tug's standing in line waiting with 7 empty processors.

This does not seem like intended behaviour. It seems they should take a look at the que every once in a while and select a different one if there are several going to the same processor but none going to others (maybe based on whichever ship is closest). Maybe even wait to select which proccessor to use once the tug is within range of the station. (I dont really know where it goes wrong logic wise)

Game is vanilla. terran game start.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: 6.20 (511811) Tug's and multiple Scrap processors

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 28. Sep 23, 13:10

You might find some useful information in here, especially from Imperial Good.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

kennet0508
x4

Post by kennet0508 » Thu, 28. Sep 23, 13:33

The station currently has 160k spare energy cells and 500/300 000 space for scrap metal, so plenty of room to spare, theoretically. it says (3/8) Scrap processors in logical overview, so this doesnt seem to be my issue

That post really only validated my initial statement it pretty much seems like the game's coding for scrap handling isnt good enough and needs some touchup.

like, Why would raw scrap be limited by the amount possible to store in the scrap processors instead of having it in Solid storage, (Raw scrap even has storage type solid in the encyclopedia)
Its fine that it needs to be deposited in the processor that looks cool and makes sense, but that limitation insentivise adding more scrap processors as "storage" instead of having more solid storage modules.
Also, why would tug's not be allowed to drop off raw scrap unless there's "enough energy cells". The scrap could just lie in solid storage until it gets enough energy later. seems like an oversight in the code if this is the current behaviour.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 4. Oct 23, 12:50

kennet0508 wrote:
Thu, 28. Sep 23, 13:33
Also, why would tug's not be allowed to drop off raw scrap unless there's "enough energy cells". The scrap could just lie in solid storage until it gets enough energy later. seems like an oversight in the code if this is the current behaviour.
This is an incorrect statement though. You can drop of raw-scrap even without energy cells, but the processor wont process it unless there is energy as such it will be "full" until that happens. So you can drop ONE delivery, however much scrap that is, is irrelevant since it wont accept another delivery until that raw-scrap has been processed.

MFG

Ketraar

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 4. Oct 23, 18:25

In my game (modified with SWI, so can't provide an unmodified save, but this mod has nothing that touches scrapyard logic), I have a scrapyard with 4 scrap processors and 4 scrap recyclers (30 solar power also), and frequently I only see 1 or 2 of the scrap processors active, sometimes 0/4, even though I have excess energy cells, and 10 tugs circling the station with scrap cubes ready to deliver but not delivering them to the scrap processors. It is very, very rare for me to see 4/4 scrap processors active even with excess energy cells. I've seen this in vanilla games as well, but don't currently have a good vanilla save to demonstrate it, though I may go to one of my vanilla games and set something up if the devs require proof of the issue.

The inefficient delivery of scrap by tugs to the scrap processors is definitely is a real issue.

kennet0508
x4

Post by kennet0508 » Sat, 13. Apr 24, 20:30

Ketraar wrote:
Wed, 4. Oct 23, 12:50
So you can drop ONE delivery, however much scrap that is, is irrelevant since it wont accept another delivery until that raw-scrap has been processed.
Good to know, even thou that still sounds like a bad way to handle scrap storage, imagine if you had a carboard compressor, and you needed to run the compressor every time you threw in a cardboard box instead of allowing it to fill up to the point where its filled. imagine the waste of time, energy and wear and tear.

Definetly would be a better approach then to allow the compressor to fill to a certain point and recieve multiple loads, and once its at a point where the next load would be/is "blocked" then start its cycle. The blocked ship is redirected to the closest available compressor based on its distance vs other tugs. otherwise fly close to the station to get in line (for turret protection from the station vs enemies).

I havent looked to see if any of this is adressed in the beta 7.0 patch.

Kenneth

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 17:24

Anyone having issues with the scrap processing and delivery I recommend trying out 7.00 beta. There should be significant improvements.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”