[Feedback] Rescue is nice, but...

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

SpaceCadet11864
x4

Re: [Feedback] Rescue is nice, but...

Post by SpaceCadet11864 » Thu, 18. Apr 24, 21:59

I do not like the rescue in person. I dont like how if I fly by a friendly space suit they immediately break physics as soon as they are going to dock. Friendly space suit 2km away and is "locked" to my position, so if I fly towards them, they move away at the same speed as I do. If I rotate, they rotate as well, as if they are tethered to my ship some how. It takes forever for them to dock becuase they are 2km away, and in one instance the space suit was stuck on my ship and was not able to dock.

The only way to fix this is to do the rescue OOS and never do it as the pilot.

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Wed, 24. Apr 24, 17:54

Has anyone figured out how to bulk transfer these rescued "unassigned crew" to assigned service crew slot? As of now, I can bulk transfer, but they appear still as unassigned. I have to individually tell each one to "work somewhere else" and assign them to service crew.

FatalKeks
x4

Post by FatalKeks » Thu, 25. Apr 24, 19:26

Now only the pilot is ejected, wich is fine. Though it had some flavor to save the crew, but it really cluttered the interface. So I see why it's the pilot only now.
Also I noticed that space-suits aren't killed by explosions of dying capitals anymore, which is very nice.

My way to go now is having rescue ships in designated locations (e.g. at the gates I guard). And saving pilots is well worth it.
I only miss some automation. A first step would be to make the "Save all in Zone"-Order repeatable.

Rastuasi wrote:
Wed, 24. Apr 24, 17:54
Has anyone figured out how to bulk transfer these rescued "unassigned crew" to assigned service crew slot? As of now, I can bulk transfer, but they appear still as unassigned. I have to individually tell each one to "work somewhere else" and assign them to service crew.
first step would be to make the "save everybody in location" order repeatable.

Yeah you can assign them to the servicecrew on the ship you rescued them with. Just drag the "Servicecrew"-Slider. Afterwards you can transfer the servicecrew to another ship. But yeah a direct transfer of unassigned crew would be nice to have.

FatalKeks
x4

Post by FatalKeks » Thu, 25. Apr 24, 19:28

Ahr I failed my editing. Ignore the "first step would be to make the "save everybody in location" order repeatable." - part after the quote.

Monstrosity
x4

Post by Monstrosity » Fri, 26. Apr 24, 01:01

I should at least be able to fire them instead of picking them up. Whats my options..rescue them or leave them forever in my owned ships list?

SpaceCadet11864
x4

Post by SpaceCadet11864 » Fri, 26. Apr 24, 01:15

Monstrosity wrote:
Fri, 26. Apr 24, 01:01
I should at least be able to fire them instead of picking them up. Whats my options..rescue them or leave them forever in my owned ships list?
not forever, they will die eventually. unlike boarding pods or escape pods, those just live forever, and I have a few escape pods for some reason flaoting around, I wish I had a save when those were created but alas, I do not.

I just want to add here that I'd prefer they use escape pods that just go to the nearest player station or something. ALso, we desperately need a way to list all ships that have unassigned personnel because right now I have lost track of all the rescues that I've forgot to re-assign.

user1679

Post by user1679 » Fri, 26. Apr 24, 03:23

SpaceCadet11864 wrote:
Fri, 26. Apr 24, 01:15
Monstrosity wrote:
Fri, 26. Apr 24, 01:01
not forever, they will die eventually. unlike boarding pods or escape pods, those just live forever, and I have a few escape pods for some reason flaoting around, I wish I had a save when those were created but alas, I do not.

I just want to add here that I'd prefer they use escape pods that just go to the nearest player station or something. ALso, we desperately need a way to list all ships that have unassigned personnel because right now I have lost track of all the rescues that I've forgot to re-assign.
There's a mod called Escape Pod that sends them to the nearest friendly station and then randomly reassigns them to any ships with open service crew slots. If you don't have any they just disappear into the station so you end up losing them. It also doesn't save everyone which adds a bit of "realism". Unfortunately that mod doesn't work in 6.20 so I would imagine it won't work in 7+ either.

Ashtray@ES
x4

Post by Ashtray@ES » Sun, 28. Apr 24, 18:35

an interesting feature, but currently very fiddly and it makes the weaknesses in the personnel management list all the more obvious

The whole process of changing the position and function of each person is very laborious

Rescuing crew is very immersive, but the current mechanics quickly become frustrating and make it seem not worth the effort

The suggestions already mentioned above (central hub or infirmary for re-deployment/dedicated transport ships/rescue vehicles/revision of the UI for personnel management) would significantly increase the fun of the feature.

But yes, the complete implementation is highly unlikely during the beta or in the final version 7.00.

SpaceCadet11864
x4

Post by SpaceCadet11864 » Tue, 30. Apr 24, 00:40

When piloting a ship near a "space-suit", they will try to dock if you have the room, this is EXTREMELY buggy. In fact I've never seen it work. They always stay 2.5km away, and you cannot fly to them because of weird locking. It's similar to the locking behavior you get when you are near an L ship, but the distance is WAY TOO LARGE. 2.5km where they travel at most 4 m/s means its going to take a VERY long time for them to get to you. Also they always get stuck and cant even dock! I've never had it work! I've tried several times in different ships and they never can dock, they just get stuck, even just now while I was in an asp, they were stuck at the docking door, you could hear the constant collision sound.

Then they teleported to the top of my ship, constantly colliding and flying into the top of the ship. I had to teleport out of the ship and far away for it to work. This needs to be fixed.

#1: The threshold for docking should NOT be 2.5km away. it should be 200m away!!!
#2: If they are colliding with the docking door just consider them docked instead.
#3: dont ask for a save.. please.. just load the game yourself and test the docking yourself with every ship. THat's what QA should be doing. I would just start a custom scenario where there are space suits and test every ship or something. But really I'd just modify the code that has this 2.5km threshold and check if in sector and player is piloting, then <= 200m - also I'd update it so they are docked and inside the ship if they are near the docking door (just like player) instead right now they fly to the docking door and then collide with the open door..

In sector this is just a complete mess. I'm sorry, it's just really bad, and I hope to god that this gets fixed because so far I've not seen any post from devs saying this is going to be looked at (there's no issue number or jira number here) so please please please fix this.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”