Ships not accessible in map unless flipped upside down.

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

SpaceCadet11864
x4

Ships not accessible in map unless flipped upside down.

Post by SpaceCadet11864 » Wed, 1. May 24, 17:15

I have noticed this happening on at least 4 seperate occasions within Silent Witness XI, and in Eighteen Billion at least once.

As the title states, the ships are completely invisible, except I see a blank circle of revealed fog of war, and its far far away from the rest of entities on the map. I have created screenshots (along with captions that explain the behavior) here: https://imgur.com/a/JD53W7Z

In the screenshot #1 a circle in the upper left area of the sector is visible, displacing fog of war.
In screenshot #2 you will see that zooming in on the area of interest reveals nothing, and the "Object List" view is empty.
In screenshot #3, you will notice the sector name on the bottom and is upside down, this is to illustrate that you can indeed see what is going on by flipping the map upside-down. Now you can see that there is a large mining ship with enemies around it.
In screenshot #4, I have teleported to the ship and have pointed towards the closes gate. Notice the radar on the bottom showing almost the entire map, as well as the gate being 1,205 km away.

Interestingly, when pressing the "R" key while you are in the ship, you can see it on the map while being right-side up. However, I was not able to achieve that by any other means, upside-down was the only way. This helps because I wasnt sure why there was a circle there until stumbling upon it when experimenting with different camera angles.

How to reproduce:
Everytime I run into it, it's always an L Mining ship that is configured to retaliate, and it is alawys being attacked by Khaak forces. Considering the ship is so very far away now, I assume I catch this very late after it has initially happened. My guess is the ship is drifing slowly upwards and to the left while it is fighting the khaak while OOS. Because I sometimes use SETA, I wonder if SETA can make it worse or if it is causing it, but I'm not sure.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Ships not accessible in map unless flipped upside down.

Post by CBJ » Wed, 1. May 24, 18:51

We can't diagnose what's happening from just pictures, and reproducing it from scratch is unlikely to be practical. Please provide a savegame showing the situation.

SpaceCadet11864
x4

Post by SpaceCadet11864 » Wed, 1. May 24, 21:52

Hey CBJ thanks for responding! Here's a save that includes the behavior: https://www.dropbox.com/s/982xar86r607l ... 72tlk&dl=0

Upon loading, you'll be in a station in a station in Silent Witness XI. IF the game saves your map position, then simply opening the map should show the issue. Otherwise just checkout Silent Witness XI in the upper left area. It should match the screenshots shared. I believe the issue is that the ship is beyond the view range when looking at it proper, like its behind a culling point, or behind the camera, idk. but after you flip the map upside down you'll be able to see the ship.

I hope that the bug is that the ship drifted 1205 km "up and left" while fighting the khaak, as it seems like even more of an edge case if this only happens if someone purposely flies up 1205 km.

ALSO very important: each time this happened, both in Eighteen Billion and in Silent Witness XI, it always ended up in the same place. it always moves in the direction of -x, -y, and -z. so that's interesting.

Anyway, hope this helps, lmk if any other questions.

donzi
x4

Post by donzi » Thu, 2. May 24, 07:39

SpaceCadet11864 wrote:
Wed, 1. May 24, 21:52
ALSO very important: each time this happened, both in Eighteen Billion and in Silent Witness XI, it always ended up in the same place. it always moves in the direction of -x, -y, and -z. so that's interesting.
That's the "Run Forest, Run!" mode of flee. :wink:

I've seen the same with extreme z axis coordinates, which can be tricky to handle in a variety of ways.

SpaceCadet11864
x4

Post by SpaceCadet11864 » Thu, 2. May 24, 08:44

donzi wrote:
Thu, 2. May 24, 07:39
SpaceCadet11864 wrote:
Wed, 1. May 24, 21:52
That's the "Run Forest, Run!" mode of flee. :wink:

I've seen the same with extreme z axis coordinates, which can be tricky to handle in a variety of ways.
ACtually I think that has been fixed. In fact I'm only seeing this with large mining ships that are configured to retaliate. I just thought retaliate would be faster since IS combat the mining ship can destroy them. but OOS the mining ship just gets bogged down and does very little damage to them.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”