Targeting missiles

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Probe
x3tc

Targeting missiles

Post by Probe » Sun, 12. Mar 06, 23:55

When I searched for threads for this the results were a bit ambiguous so I'll take the easy(?) way out!

Question:-

When I'm up to my neck in pirates/general nasties and I get warning that a missile has been thrown at me, how's the best way to target it? I've tried the home/end buttons, but that simply tabs through the various enemy ships. I do NOT have time to get my butt out of incoming fire and go through the local navigation to identify & target the "incoming missile"!!!!

TKKhanna
x4

Post by TKKhanna » Mon, 13. Mar 06, 00:11

I don't think missiles can be targeted. Not in X2 anyway. I don't know about X3. Ion Disruptors and PSGs are very good at defending against them though.

Krevel
x3

Post by Krevel » Mon, 13. Mar 06, 00:16

The "Target Nearest Enemy" button will usually pick up the missile. If not on the first try, then keep hitting it. Sorry, my keys are mapped to the j-stick, so you'll have to look it up.

Edited to add: Works in X2 and X3!
There are two things we know are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And we're not sure about the universe.

Griefheart
x3tc

Post by Griefheart » Mon, 13. Mar 06, 00:18

shift - T
Its a lonely life being me...

plawolf
x3tc

Post by plawolf » Mon, 13. Mar 06, 00:41

You cant find missiles on the sector map, but if you target 'nearest enemies', they do occationally get targeted if they happen to be the closest hostile to you. Personally, I got fed up with all the silkworm spamming and got myself an Ion-D.

Now, whenever I hear the missile launch warning, I just wheel around with my finger on the trigger while the Ion-D is selected and it will kill the missiles 9 out of 10 times. My back turret and sheilds can soak up the rest with no problems. In fact, if you turn fast enough, the detonated missiles will either kill the launcher, or take a fair bit out of its shields. The really dense ones just keep on launching missiles until they blow themselves up.

TKKhanna
x4

Post by TKKhanna » Mon, 13. Mar 06, 00:50

Oh i usually use the next/previous enemy buttons. That's why I didn't know about it. I didn't see the need to target when I had an Ion D or PSGs :wink:

dzhedzho
x4

Post by dzhedzho » Mon, 13. Mar 06, 10:27

yeah previous - next enemy... If you play X3 and use the mouse, map them ro your scroll wheel gives best results at least for me. I won't mind though if a next previous missile is implemented...

Hamakua
x4

Post by Hamakua » Mon, 13. Mar 06, 12:34

I personally use the out of view icons. Missles show up as blue box inside a red box. When you hear the missle incoming warning concentrate on spotting it, when you locate it's position wheel around and fire at it's "box" the missles themselves are very small but they are very easy to shoot down for some reason, even without an Ion Disruptor.

Probe
x3tc

Post by Probe » Tue, 14. Mar 06, 00:05

Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 14. Mar 06, 00:20

Missile targeting in X3 is something that really needs improvement. When you're in a sector with a fair number of enemies, and you get missiles fired at you, it's nearly impossible to target it before it hits. Cycling through the enemies using the Home/End keys (or whatever you use) will often bring up enemies on the other side of the sector. And using the Shift-t to target nearest enemy will just as often target a nearby ship. There really needs to be a separate hotkey for missiles.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

parameter
x3tc

Missile evasion

Post by parameter » Tue, 14. Mar 06, 18:01

What? No chaff/IR ejector add-on? I always fly my F/A 18 with that fully loaded. Maybe it should be a retro patch
:D
Anti-missile/bum hogging fighter fletchette launcher, fires explosive mesh net out, wraps'n'frappes tail doggers. Can also fire eco-friendly, (preserve SpaceFlies!), short life mini-mines. That should keep the tree huggers happy!

:lol:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”