Removed posts from Game Reg. sticky

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Devistater
x3tc

Post by Devistater » Sun, 23. Jul 06, 03:55

Thanks for the updates!

So if I buy the game on steam, will there be anything I wont be able to download for X3, since I wont be registered?
(i.e. mods and patches)

I'm pretty close to buying the game, so far things are sounding great about the steam version.

Arkblade
x4

Post by Arkblade » Sun, 23. Jul 06, 04:27

hello.

Some X² Download still needs Resistation-code.
(X² Manual in PDF format and all Bonus Material)

can it be fixed?

Syklon
x3

Post by Syklon » Sun, 23. Jul 06, 05:47

Devistater wrote:So if I buy the game on steam, will there be anything I wont be able to download for X3, since I wont be registered?
(i.e. mods and patches)
you can download either when not logged in (aka as a guest), so a logged in user should have no problems downloading either, its just being able to post in the Tech Support and S&M forum which is restricted to users who have registered their games
Last edited by Syklon on Sun, 23. Jul 06, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.

Bodhammer
x3fl

Post by Bodhammer » Sun, 23. Jul 06, 06:25

"Do the Steam (and Direct2Drive) versions of X3 use Star Force DRM copy protection?"

This is important to me as well. I took X3 off my computer due to problems with Starforce. I also had problems with SimBins GTR as well. I will not buy another Starforce game ever again!

I have Steam for HL2, HL2:E1, and Sin E1 and would like to try X3 again. Can I download it via Steam and use my code from the back of the manual bypassing Starforce installation?

If not, I urge you to consider that as a feature!!!

Thanks,
Bod

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Sun, 23. Jul 06, 06:26

No, the steam versions of X2 and X3 dont use Starforce :)

Snoochems

Post by Snoochems » Sun, 23. Jul 06, 06:26

So we dont have access to mods or anythign?

What else is there available when we do actually gain access.

Anyways, i'm about to go and play my first game. I hope it's not as hard as they say.

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Sun, 23. Jul 06, 06:29

You can download the mods (i think :gruebel: ) but you wont get any support on them.

But as CBJ said in his first post you will have to post your questions in the "X Universe" forum and make sure you say you have the steam version :wink:

BobTheDog
x3

Post by BobTheDog » Sun, 23. Jul 06, 07:59

Is there a way to transfer my license from my cd versions of X2 and X3 to the Steam versions? I'd like to use Steam for these games too.

Lord Yaar
x3

Post by Lord Yaar » Sun, 23. Jul 06, 08:37

BobTheDog wrote:Is there a way to transfer my license from my cd versions of X2 and X3 to the Steam versions? I'd like to use Steam for these games too.
Yes, it would be great for all current owners of the game to be able to d/l it from Steam. Also getting rid of Starforce is good - I think it is time to release the no-starforce patch for x3.

BurnIt!
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by BurnIt! » Sun, 23. Jul 06, 10:02

No, it is not possible to transfer any license keys from the CD/DVD retail version to steam.

To quote Bernd, the no-copy-protection patch for the retail version will be made available "later this year".

Regarding the access to X2 bonus content: game registration is not required, however a forum account still is.
BurnIt!
In der Ruhe liegt die Kraft. / In peace lies strength.

lemming81

Post by lemming81 » Sun, 23. Jul 06, 14:47

BurnIt! wrote:No, it is not possible to transfer any license keys from the CD/DVD retail version to steam.

To quote Bernd, the no-copy-protection patch for the retail version will be made available "later this year".

Regarding the access to X2 bonus content: game registration is not required, however a forum account still is.

Sorry, but that is pretty unacceptable. Egosoft should at least offer a free download of the game for those that have valid license keys already. You've made us wait long enough for the games we paid for.

Also, you do realise that Steam has an 'activate product via steam' option for THIS VERY PURPOSE. All they'd have to do is add the X3 license keys to the database for valid registration. How hard can that be?

Answer: a hell of alot easier than coding a patch.

SpaceMerc

Post by SpaceMerc » Sun, 23. Jul 06, 15:15

I bought the Steam version of the game. I want to download the game manual, but it says "access denied" because I did not register my game, which I understand is currently impossible. Is there any way that I can get a copy of the game manual. The interface is somewhat daunting at this early stage in my "X Universe" carreer, and the manual would be helpful. By the way, I was "logged in" when I tried to download the manual and was denied.

Thanks.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sun, 23. Jul 06, 15:23

No, the manual download is only available if you have entered a registration code into your forum profile.
For X³ users who have downloaded their game using Steam, there is currently no registration code supplied with this version.
[..]
As soon as there is more information about a possible solution to this situation it will be posted here.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Mobuj
x3tc

Post by Mobuj » Sun, 23. Jul 06, 16:20

Here's an idea, if a bit expensive.

For those who have the disk/starforce version of the game. Buy the steam version, then use it to play the game. The disk version of the game, registered, will allow download and forum access. :wink:
---------------------------
I am Popeye of Borg
You will be askimilated!

manta357
x3tc

Post by manta357 » Sun, 23. Jul 06, 18:27

SpaceMerc:
you can download the manual via the Steam app. Right click on the X3 listing in the My Games page and select properties. There is a link there for the manual.

g04tn4d0
x4

Post by g04tn4d0 » Sun, 23. Jul 06, 21:07

lemming81 wrote:Sorry, but that is pretty unacceptable. Egosoft should at least offer a free download of the game for those that have valid license keys already. You've made us wait long enough for the games we paid for.

Also, you do realise that Steam has an 'activate product via steam' option for THIS VERY PURPOSE. All they'd have to do is add the X3 license keys to the database for valid registration. How hard can that be?

I understand your anger but I disagree. I bought the US version of the game from Enlight. Why should I be able to pay just shipping and handling (or nothing at all) to have DeepSilver send me a DVD version if I decide I like that release better? EgoSoft is out of the picture. They just write the game. If they decide to give it away, then that's their prerogative. Steam is distributing it electronically, and as such, it costs serious money to host a multi-gig download for thousands of people. If you went into business, yourself, as a distributor and found that the game developers you recently signed were asking you to eat the cost of bandwidth/shipping for a percentage of their customers that just so happen to prefer your new method of copy protection, you'd laugh yourself silly. It's a store. You want to buy something, put it in your shopping cart and check out. Otherwise, don't. It's as simple as that. Your quarrel, technically, would be with whatever distributor you bought X3 from originally. It's really not EgoSoft's business except, as I have said, where they should pursue another distributor that doesn't use Star Force. Now they have. Now I will shut up.

I think it's great that EgoSoft will be able to release a Star Force-free executable and when that day comes, I will dig my copy of X3 out of my desk and start playing it. I have nothing more to say against EgoSoft or X3 since they do, at some point, intend to make me and many others happy. I will, however, never buy another game from any company that uses Star Force copy protection. This includes Enlight, DeepSilver, and Midway. If I hadn't already bought X3 from Enlight, I would have gladly bought it through Steam just to avoid Star Force.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 23. Jul 06, 22:52

lemming81 wrote:
BurnIt! wrote:No, it is not possible to transfer any license keys from the CD/DVD retail version to steam.

Sorry, but that is pretty unacceptable. Egosoft should at least offer a free download of the game for those that have valid license keys already. You've made us wait long enough for the games we paid for.

well, y not think about what ur asking exactly, its basically like demanding egosoft send you a free copy of the GOTY edition of X3 coz you own the standard one

hex40k
x3tc

Post by hex40k » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 03:46

I think that opening up the Steam to keycode access would be a good thing. I for one cant use my DVD any more, and i havent recived any information about getting a replacement (despite having waited two months and there isnt a chance in hell im gonna shell out another 20-30 quid to get a new copy). this would be a perfect way for me to replace the DVD without having to pay for a new game.
This space is reserved for a witty comment or quote.

Hexx
x2

Post by Hexx » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 08:40

As a long-time x2 owner and player just wanted to say well done for releasing x3 SF free. I refused to buy it till you released the inevitable cd fix.

Presently downloading it on Steam - not one of my fav services but a danm sight better then the alternative. ?Thanks

O! One thing though. come on Ego get over the paronia and let people DL the extras without the need for the reg key if you cant supply one. Anyone who got and has/is playing x3 with a pirate copy - and as you know it's not that difficult, even with SF - will be doining so anyway. It's a tad unfair when we have bought the game.

Just a minor moan :-P

lemming81

Post by lemming81 » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 09:43

Cycrow wrote:
lemming81 wrote:

well, y not think about what ur asking exactly, its basically like demanding egosoft send you a free copy of the GOTY edition of X3 coz you own the standard one
Not at all. As publishers love to remind us, we pay for a license to play the game. The disc itself is only a small part of the price you pay. That license I paid for, so I should surely be allowed to have it via whatever medium I choose? I choose Steam. And I'm sure the couple of quid worth of bandwith I'd use to download the game would barely scratch the £30 I've payed already.

Anyway, I've asked Steam/Valve where they stand on it, being as you say it's not Egosoft's problem.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”