Removed posts from Game Reg. sticky

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Devistater
x3tc

Post by Devistater » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 11:09

lemming81 wrote:Anyway, I've asked Steam/Valve where they stand on it, being as you say it's not Egosoft's problem.
If they respond at all, they will likely say that it's under egosoft's control lol.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 11:10

lemming81 wrote:That license I paid for, so I should surely be allowed to have it via whatever medium I choose? I choose Steam.
Sorry, but that argument does not hold up. The publishers and distributors are not obliged to use whatever media you like to get the game to you.

By the same token, if you had downloaded from Steam and then demanded a DVD version from them as well, do you think that would be aceptable?

Similarly, whilst it would be ideal to register existing game DVD versions with Steam, I don't see why they should be obliged to provide support and updates for a product they never sold and which another publisher / distributor has already received payment for.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

lemming81

Post by lemming81 » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 11:18

The_Abyss wrote:
lemming81 wrote:That license I paid for, so I should surely be allowed to have it via whatever medium I choose? I choose Steam.
Sorry, but that argument does not hold up. The publishers and distributors are not obliged to use whatever media you like to get the game to you.

By the same token, if you had downloaded from Steam and then demanded a DVD version from them as well, do you think that would be aceptable?

Similarly, whilst it would be ideal to register existing game DVD versions with Steam, I don't see why they should be obliged to provide support and updates for a product they never sold and which another publisher / distributor has already received payment for.

Well I have no problem paying a small extra fee to cover the bandwith cost, but we aren't even being offered that are we? No, as existing customers we have to wait longer on something which could take until Xmas.

TBH, at this rate I'll just sell my DVD copy to a Gamestation or something and buy it new from Steam.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 12:20

In order to solve the issue of the lack of a registration code with the Steam version, access restrictions to forums and downloads relating to X³: Reunion have been lifted.

Hexx
x2

Post by Hexx » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 19:13

CBJ wrote:In order to solve the issue of the lack of a registration code with the Steam version, access restrictions to forums and downloads relating to X³: Reunion have been lifted.

See. Now everyone feels better. Well, that is till you start getting the renewed x3 wont work on my 486 sx, running windows 3.1.1. Why? I'm not happy, etc, etc. Or, prioritise my Fruanhover Codec correctly? Whats a codec?, etc, etc :-P

fogeyman
x3

Post by fogeyman » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 20:07

lemming81 wrote:
The_Abyss wrote:

Well I have no problem paying a small extra fee to cover the bandwith cost, but we aren't even being offered that are we? No, as existing customers we have to wait longer on something which could take until Xmas.

TBH, at this rate I'll just sell my DVD copy to a Gamestation or something and buy it new from Steam.
I wouldn't at all mind paying $5 or so to have my CD version available via Steam. Egosoft might get some flak but the fee is important. As it was said earlier, Steam never received money from us but if the CD version was instantly available off of Steam, then they would be losing money through the support offered to CD-owners. A fee would offset that and allow users to install X3 without ever encountering StarForce.

StargazerUK
x3tc

Post by StargazerUK » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 20:40

When it first came out i did want to get X3 (dvd) cause i liked the look of it but since it came with starforce i have a policy of not buying starforce protected games no matter how good they.

In my books once starforce is added it becomes worthless.

Now its on steam and starforce free i just reciently brought it and awaiting to play it as since its still preloading and at 7%. and is going to be a while but i consider it now a good buy.

My view was the same with X2 but i brought X2 (white lable) when i learned that egosoft removed the starforce copy protection off it.

I am glad i waited. But at least they are allowing steam buyers access to the forums.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 20:59

There have been more than enough warnings. Drop the subject of Starforce.

ZaldronTheSage
x4

Post by ZaldronTheSage » Wed, 26. Jul 06, 00:55

I think that they should have looked more at the whole situation with steam instead of jumping on the money bandwagon and pushing something out the door. I do agree however that the removal of SF is a step in the right direction for the game. Maybe they could integrate some form of a serial key to offset people just ripping this game as well off torrents. I myself have payed for both games.
"Since, in the long run, every planetary civilization will be endangered by impacts from space, every surviving civilization is obliged to become spacefaring--not because of exploratory or romantic zeal, but for the most practical reason imaginable: staying alive... If our long-term survival is at stake, we have a basic responsibility to our species to venture to other worlds."
Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot, 1994

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Wed, 26. Jul 06, 01:13

All relevent information is already available in this thread.

Since people seem incapable of, despite several warnings, not discussing Starforce and piracy, this discussion is closed.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”