x3 - first thoughts

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hexx
x2

x3 - first thoughts

Post by Hexx » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 20:56

Perhaps this topic has already been covered and if it has Im no doubt in for some flac but , o well, here goes anyway.

Well, 8 months late but finally playing x3 and a tad confused.

I was one of those people awaiting the, cancelled, expansion for X-2. I was, at the time a tad dismayed that Ego-soft decided, instead to concenetrate their efforts on making a new game in the x universe. But at the same time keen to hear that there would be a new engine, economy, etc.

But here I am starting to play the game, and its the oddest thing: yes its a new engine and it looks damn pretty and yes the universe does look more "alive" or busy. Yes I like the new interface, although still trying to work out how the hell to get my mission briefs back up :-P.

But the story? It continues exactly from where x-2's main plot finished. Indeed, if I hadn't played x-2 I would have no idea what the hell was happening. Who is Julian for example, whats this about speaking to his dad, only 30% of the fleet left, etc, etc..

Not only that but seems Im back with only one rather poor fighter again. What happened to my empire, fleet, etc? :-P

Anyway, the only reason I mention this is how the blazes are new players expected to hop into this universe and understand what is happening? Its now 8 months sense release and this still doesnt seem to have been addressed. Is this causing problems with new players? I'm curious. Simply because it seems Im playing more of an expansion for x-2 then a new game. Thoughts?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 21:09

well, i dont think its really neseceary to know the whole back story of what happened.

it was the same with X2, which followed on from the previous games, but no one really had a problem with that either.

as for your lack of fleet, it was explained, the kha'ak steped up thier attacks and you lost everything to them

fud
x3

Post by fud » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 21:09

I was completely clueless the first month. Then I found this place and the universe righted itself. :)

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 21:13

Of course X3 continues from where X2 left off. its a sequal :wink:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585 - X2 The Threat High Definition Mod - You know you wanna :)

Hexx
x2

Post by Hexx » Mon, 24. Jul 06, 21:32

fud: hey! Glad to hear it :-)

Cycrow: I do understand what you mean, its just I think there was less of an obvious connection in x-2, i.e the plot lead you into things. You know, young rebel, in jail, etc, etc. Something comfortable if you where new to the universe and also made sense if you then decided to become a "good guy" or a pirate, etc.

This is more smack bang in your face :-P.

Player :lol: Yeah ok, i admit you have me there.

No the reason I mention it, is I love the x franchise, for goodness sake there have been very few games in this style perhaps realistically only Elite, X and EVE - Privateer was a much diff kind of game, but hell what do I knew :wink:

For that reason, I really want to see the genre do well and I just thought the easier it was to comeinto the story as a new player the better. Thus perhaps ego could do something about this, bring in new players and sell more units. But if new players are coming in and happy, hell I'll shut up :wink:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”