If Steam is made Essential to X game Will you buy them?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Will you buy if X requires steam as essential part of itself?

yes
30%
no
63%
uh i dunno ..... whats steam ????
7%

Total votes: 154

Paranoid66
x3tc

Post by Paranoid66 » Wed, 1. Nov 06, 15:26

Has everyone remembered to vote.

It is good to talk but voting is good too.

Just a reminder as it is easy to get carried away and forget.
Beyond 'X' Far future (Fanfic): BkI BkII BkIII

Never more than 98.8 percent sure about anything.
98.8 percent sure that anyone who is 100 percent certain needs re-educating for the sake of humanity.

Augustini
x4

Post by Augustini » Wed, 1. Nov 06, 15:34

I voted

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Wed, 1. Nov 06, 18:41

I would probably have got 'sucked-in' to a Steam-only X game,
but reading all of these problems (real & potential) I am definately
voting No.
(but I might change my mind if someone comes up with a real
killer reason in favour of Steam though).

BoronSticks

Post by BoronSticks » Wed, 1. Nov 06, 23:25

bvschipper wrote:In terms of online activation, as software "evolves" there is a growing trend towards more restrictive copy-protection. Although often an inconvenience for end-users... usage-monitoring is a way in which software developers can protect their investment... When posters complain about ...control..., it seems to me that it often takes a tone of entitlement.
These are our computers, and you think people tend take a tone of entitlement because we feel having programs that do unnecessary things against our wishes is undesirable? That's interesting. I guess my morals need an update, they must be obsolete.

Oh, BTW, what Nanook said about multiple game installations, I used to do that too with Total Annihilation back when I used to tinker with 3rd party units and maps, but still wanted to be able to play a vanilla game against friends or internet opponents. It was essential, not convenient, to have 2 complete copies.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 1. Nov 06, 23:55

esd wrote:
jeffwp27577 wrote:Steam won't last forever. So what happens to all the games you bought that require it? You'll never be able to play them again.
That's my main concern,....
Actually, mine too, now that you mention it. I still like playing some of my old games, and a lot of the developers/publishers are no longer around. If they'd been 'Steamed', I'd be out of luck, and the games would be 'in the bin' by now.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Jaxom01
x3tc

Post by Jaxom01 » Thu, 2. Nov 06, 00:12

I did not vote - maybe the Uhh dunno option is applicable.

I first bought an X3 disk at Game Staion in the UK - this was part of a large display of pre-owned X3 games - looked very much like my all time favourite Elite so bought the game for £14.99 (as second hand) :( Imagine how I felt when discovering the Egosoft site and realizing I could have a new game cheaper if ordering on-line.

The disk had its problems and was not reliable ... So went and bought a new Game-of the Year (deepsilver) version

... I have set up a Steam account in preparation for buying X3+V2 tomorrow - watching this thread - seems to indicate I should not go ahead - though I have seen many messages to the opposite (not in this thread) I must admit that I play all of Cycrow's scripts and value his opinion (@Cycrow *thanks*) ... :wink:

To buy or not to buy - that is the question - whether 'tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of Pirate onslaugt...(Tiladeaus Willeamus Shakesperus - Tiladi philosipgher) ...
In Space No-One can hear you AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!

Pentium D Dual Core 3.0Ghz
Corsair XMS 4GB kit (2x2048MB) Memory
BFG nVidia 8600 GTS 256MB Graphics card
2 x 250GB Maxstor Sata 2 Raid 0
Abit Fata1ty Mobo NVidia 650i chipset
SoundBlaster X-Fi sound-card
Vista x64 Ultimate

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Thu, 2. Nov 06, 00:30

Excelent words BoronSticks. These are indeed OUR computers.

I myself built this computer with my own two hands. I own every component. I take it slightly personal to have some peice of software doing something behind the scenes that is not advertised on the box or in bold in the manual. ESPECIALLY, if it is not essential to whatever I use the program for.

The funny thing about 'liscensing' in the software industry, is that it's the only media/information industry that says you are purchasing a 'liscense.' Last time I checked, I could buy a DVD, a book, a CD... Whatever.... And those items I "OWN" Not some 'liscense' thing.

Now, copyrights considered, as long as I give credit/compensation for any form of puplic use and/or get permission where prompted for such public use... I am in every right to do with as I see fit to my product. Using a CD as a coaster, grab a page from a book and recite it for a presentation as an example, whatever. Or use that information to create something of my own.

But the software industry, they're weird. They treat software as neither a physical item, or intellectual. And they don't decide on a set policy either. Sometimes they treat it more physical, sometimes more intellectual. Sometimes it's a bizzare crossbreed hybrid monster with dripping fangs and putrid flesh... The boundries are so sketchy...

Of course, as technology improves, the need to seccure it becomes a larger issue. But at the same time, the more restrictions that are applied to seccure something, up spawns more trouble.

I believe there's a Star Wars quote that actually applies...
"The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems that will slip through your fingers."
- Leia, Star Wars, A New Hope

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 2. Nov 06, 01:20

Please don't drag this down into a discussion of whether you do or do not agree with the way software licensing systems work. Stay on topic.

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Thu, 2. Nov 06, 01:30

As much as you may or may not think CJB, they are indeed part of the discussion and one of the issues to be addressed when you consider the Steam issue from a full spectrum.

But I will comply. As I've already stated my oppinion and my reasons for my oppinion. *Bows and departs.*

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Thu, 2. Nov 06, 02:16

I'd prefer to have a hard cop media option as well. But if it was the only way I could play, then yes is my answer.

The Steam model is not perfect but it largely works today. It will certainly have to adapt for the future.

Those people that are offline or have slow connections, from a sheer numbers point of view, you would just have to wait for the 'future' option. CBJ put an arbitary figure of 5 years before this becomes redundant which could well be correct. But you also have to look at the same figures today from the publishers / developers / Steam's point of view. Their market is mainstream users, with fast connections. If you won't have one of these, you're a minority and they are simply not bothered about their product reaching you. What they lose they more than gain from casual sales from accessible users, and these are increasing by the day anyway. This is the Steam point of view, not necessarily my own, and it is the view taken by all companies offering online delivery of media.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 2. Nov 06, 02:23

Steam only version hmm NO.

For a start i duno how much longer i can afford the internet. 2nd. Steam is just way too much controlling for the user. The user has to heavily rely on updates from it which ppl really shouldnt need to. 3rd. Ppl who buy a soft copy of a game (no disc) are mad, because if you get a virus or have to format as many ppl do to clean their system then well they have lost the game unless they burn the files to disc or somit but id imagine if ppl follow rules etc and the rules say u cant backup the files then there buggered.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

jaslow2
x3tc

Post by jaslow2 » Thu, 2. Nov 06, 03:07

Think I'll have to sit on the fence with this one myself I'm afraid - really don't like the sound of Steam after reading all this ('tho I had no trouble with HL2 except the irritation of logging on the net and leaving my firewall running on a slowish system etc) but like the Abyss said if its a game I REALLY wanted to play (like X4 will be) I'd put up with the potentially invasive software, for a year or two :)[/i]

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Thu, 2. Nov 06, 09:11

Some people should however really ensure that they know how the current Steam system works before jumping on the 'must hate it' bandwagon just based on a rough idea or it works like someone once told them.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Thu, 2. Nov 06, 10:26

I wouldn't call the software invasive - it does exactly what it's meant to do, keep my games up to date (whether store bought or internet bought) and it's much more convenient for me to be able to reinstall them all via steam than it would be for me to install the originals, and then download the-original-game-size-in-patches worth of updates (I still play TFC for instance)

it helps multiplayer anti-cheating measures if you can update the software when required - steam makes that easy

note that:

- you can specify whether or not steam will download updates for any particular game

- if you were logged into steam when you had an internet connection, you will still be logged on offline

But just to wander slightly off the point: is the next X game LIKELY to be steam-only? If it's also appearing in the shops.... probably not. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know of any non-source game that uses steam for validation (only for delivery and updates)

EDIT: forgot to say, the good thing about steam is it helps developers like egosoft expose their games to a wider audience, and is therefor A Good Thing
Math problems? Call 0800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 2. Nov 06, 10:50

frymaster wrote:But just to wander slightly off the point: is the next X game LIKELY to be steam-only?
Frankly I doubt it. We are not yet at the stage where publishers can afford to ignore the high-street market since, as this poll suggests, quite a high proportion of people are not yet ready to change their habits. I would expect to see whatever comes next in the X series, like most games in the next few years, available on disk. I think online-only releases will be very much the exception for a little while yet.

The Rogue Trader
xr

Post by The Rogue Trader » Thu, 2. Nov 06, 11:47

:? What exactly is steam :?

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 2. Nov 06, 13:47

Its water that when reaches a certain temperature turns into steam.

:lol:

--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_%28c ... elivery%29
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Paranoid66
x3tc

Post by Paranoid66 » Thu, 2. Nov 06, 13:56

Turds steam too. LOL but is a bit off topic. Didn't someone say once, 'Great Steaming Teladi'. Or is my hearing getting defective in my old age. I hope this was not PRODUCT PLACEMENT ADVERTISING!

Seriously though this thread seems to show that indeed enough of us still prefer the - old ways - that hopefully EGOSOFT will continue at least in the immediate future to release on disk with steam etc only being an added option.

As an option - I can choose to disregard - I have nothing against steam. What is good for one is not necessary good for another.

Some folks believe choice is all we have, all else is just illusion.
Beyond 'X' Far future (Fanfic): BkI BkII BkIII

Never more than 98.8 percent sure about anything.
98.8 percent sure that anyone who is 100 percent certain needs re-educating for the sake of humanity.

andrewas
x3tc

Post by andrewas » Thu, 2. Nov 06, 14:38

Skeeter wrote:Steam only version hmm NO.

For a start i duno how much longer i can afford the internet.
Valid point, although used correctly Offline mode means your games would still work, you just wouldnt be able to update them without an internet connection.
2nd. Steam is just way too much controlling for the user. The user has to heavily rely on updates from it which ppl really shouldnt need to.
This is true. Back when I was at uni, I found it somewhat rediculous that I was sitting on a mostly unused T3+ connection while back home, Steam was taking all day to download 50Mbs over dialup. Steam really needs to allow an alternat method of updating.

3rd. Ppl who buy a soft copy of a game (no disc) are mad, because if you get a virus or have to format as many ppl do to clean their system then well they have lost the game unless they burn the files to disc or somit but id imagine if ppl follow rules etc and the rules say u cant backup the files then there buggered.
Steam allows you to download the game as often as you want. Format your system? Redownload. Playing on a friends computer? You can download to that one as well. ANd it allows backups. So, no, those of us who buy soft copies are not mad. We just value the actual content over the package. I dont value the discs on my shelf beyond the games contained on them. Steam provides the games without requiring me to put another shelf up.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Thu, 2. Nov 06, 14:43

I've re-downloaded/re-installed Half Life 2 about 15 times in the last couple years. I'll play it thru a couple times, then remove it. A few months later I get a bug to play it again, reinstall, repeat.

It's no big deal to me. I just watch a movie while it's downloading. :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”