Strafe Drives Overpowered..??

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

patherton

Strafe Drives Overpowered..??

Post by patherton » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 10:17

Just realised how poor the AI is ar shooting a strafing target..!! Took my Osprey into the Xenon sector next to Getsu Fune and tore the place apart just strafing and using my PSG's.. All there is left is a few floating crates of energy cells...! :twisted:

It actually just become a little boring.>!! :shock:

Sort of thinking of jumping back into an M5 and doing some good old fashioned dog-fighting.. I suppose that's the beuaty of this game.. If you get bored doing something, you can just go off and do something else.. 8)

High_Pinger
x2

Post by High_Pinger » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 14:35

I wouldnt object to the strafe drives capabilities if ai ships used it too, but do they? no.

This is rather rediculous because in a universe of thousands of ships yours is the only one that actually uses a strafe drive.

Currently if you have a strafe drive you can take out any capital ship with a perseus with its overpowered bpsg's or a barracuda/nova equipped with ion disruptors.

If this doesnt seem odd to anyone else then maybe i am just getting worked up over nothing.

Jha'dur
x2

Post by Jha'dur » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 14:58

Happily, I haven't found out how to actually use the strafe drive, so I'm not having that problem :D

Pi-Oh-Pah
x3

Post by Pi-Oh-Pah » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 14:59

High_Pinger wrote:I wouldnt object to the strafe drives capabilities if ai ships used it too, but do they? no.

No they just turn on the spot and perform miracles of flight that would leave any non-AI pilot cleaning his breakfast off the inside of his cockpit :o

MonkeyMissile
x3

Post by MonkeyMissile » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 15:04

How do you use your strafe-drive cos mine do nothing?
Up, Up and Away

TerrorTrooper
x4

Post by TerrorTrooper » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 15:08

hold down alt grip key (Alt Gr) Usually directly on the right hand side of the space bar.

turn while holding this key and you will strafe sideways or up/down

MonkeyMissile
x3

Post by MonkeyMissile » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 15:11

So if I slow down when attacking a target(match speed) and then keep "strafing" I should destroy most ships in my Osprey
Up, Up and Away

Llama8
x3tc

Post by Llama8 » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 15:12

You have to hold down the Strafe Key (can't remember which one it is as I've got it mapped to one of my joystick buttons), then instead of turning (yaw/pitch) you will strafe.

patherton

Post by patherton » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 15:31

So if I slow down when attacking a target(match speed) and then keep "strafing" I should destroy most ships in my Osprey
Yes.. When I go after caps I attack head on until about 4-4.5 km away and then slow down to under their speed or match speed and then strafe left or right.. You'll get hit a couple of times but mostly all the turret fire will pass by you..!!

Can sometimes take it down in one pass, but usually in 2 without a problem.. As someone said depending on the pitch of your Osprey you can sometimes get both top and bottom turrets firing as well as your front guns..

Sir Crashalot
x4

Post by Sir Crashalot » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 15:43

I`ve never used it because I use a joystick. :lol:

In fact, I think the only time I ever used a strafe drive in the whole of the X series was in XBTF when I realised it was a good way to get across the Xenon sectors. :)
If you can`t dazzle them with dynamics, then baffle them with bullsh*t :D

EverythingXen
x3

Post by EverythingXen » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 16:11

Everything the player does is overpowered.

Building factories that actually turn profit instead of the money pits the computer has is overpowering... you earn millions per hour.

Strafing makes you unhittable and is overpowered.

PSG take out everything in the game in one minute ore less and are overpowered.

Shields above 50k make you immune to death by enemy fire unless you get severely unlucky when attacking a capital ship. Severely unlucky.

Weapons in general can strip a computer ship's shields in seconds. Conversely their weapons will NOT strip yours because you won't get hit as often, even without a strafe drive.

The only ship that is not overpowered is the discovery with the inital weapon systems installed, as anything can kill it in one hit and it takes effort to take down enemy fighters. Even then several people on this forum are good enough to take down ships with 10 times their firepower and 50 times their shielding so the Disco is overpowered too.

Indeed, human skill is overpowered. I suggest you turn everything to autopilot and watch your twin PSG Osprey evaporate against cruisers like it should.

:D
X2 - TL: 1, M2: 2, M1: 0, Factories: 35
X3 - Nothing yet

Subjugation
x2

Post by Subjugation » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 16:33

*Cheer* Very well said, Mr. Xen. I am personally getting very irritated and people claiming this is overpowered, that's overpowered. The whole damn thing is if something's stronger or better than something else, or something's really good and will make the game easier, people are going to use it, hell, exploit it if you want to call it that, whatever. I have a Strafe Drive but do not use it, mainly because I forget about it. My point is.. If you don't like something, in this case because it's 'overpowered', simply do not use it. Nobody is forcing you to use it.

patherton

Post by patherton » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 17:55

The whole damn thing is if something's stronger or better than something else, or something's really good and will make the game easier, people are going to use it, hell, exploit it if you want to call it that, whatever. I have a Strafe Drive but do not use it, mainly because I forget about it. My point is.. If you don't like something, in this case because it's 'overpowered', simply do not use it. Nobody is forcing you to use it.
The reason I created this post was I'd only just started to use the strafe drive and like you I bought one without even trying it.. The reason people say something is overpowered is because there may just be a hope that the Dev's can modify it in a patch.. Either make it so the AI is capable of hitting you, let the AI use it too, or remove it from the game.. And as you've said before you can choose not to use it I know.. But I would much prefer the X2 Universe to be more balanced..

If PSG's need modding too then so be it.. At least make the dev's aware the community is not happy with the way these are balanced rather than saying nothing.. :!:

Subjugation
x2

Post by Subjugation » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 18:04

The reason people say something is overpowered is because there may just be a hope that the Dev's can modify it in a patch..
Exactly what I want to avoid. It should be free for people to use if they wish and free for them NOT to use if they are so inclined. I think restricting it or editing it or whatever would be a bad move.

Gazzareth
x2

Post by Gazzareth » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 18:12

I don't think that the drive is overpowered - however the AI *SHOULD* have some ability to track you whilst strafing.... If you strafe in one direction constantly then it should be easy for the AI to lead you as it is with constant forward motion - changing direction of Strafe should make it harder to hit.

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 18:14

Moot point anyway. The strafe drive has already been made much less powerful (you should have seen it before version 1.2 - it strafed you at up to 1000 m/s).
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

Gazzareth
x2

Post by Gazzareth » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 18:20

Brianetta wrote:Moot point anyway. The strafe drive has already been made much less powerful (you should have seen it before version 1.2 - it strafed you at up to 1000 m/s).
Not really the AI should still be able to shoot at and hit a target travelling in a straight line wether forwards, backwards, left, right, up or down (or any combination)... ...

LordSuch
x3

Post by LordSuch » Tue, 30. Mar 04, 20:15

Gazzareth wrote:I don't think that the drive is overpowered - however the AI *SHOULD* have some ability to track you whilst strafing.... If you strafe in one direction constantly then it should be easy for the AI to lead you as it is with constant forward motion - changing direction of Strafe should make it harder to hit.
In X-T the constant direction strafe technique worked to avoid enemy fire, however I have found that the Khaak can still hit me if I strafe in a single direction for several seconds....

EverythingXen
x3

Post by EverythingXen » Wed, 31. Mar 04, 14:51

Your own weapons have as hard a time tracking while strafing as the enemies do. It's good for dodging or "Hitting the Broad Side of a Barn" but it's hardly a tactical super kill.

M2s need M3s to defend them, just like your Titan in the training mission does. Unfortunately the non-Khaak M3s have a hard time of things. I watched an Orinocco and a Demeter dogfight for *5* real hours yesterday (well, not watched as much as checked in periodically since I had a sat in the system and usually sweep through sectors I have presence in every hour or less). It was pathetic.
X2 - TL: 1, M2: 2, M1: 0, Factories: 35
X3 - Nothing yet

CeeBod
x3

Post by CeeBod » Wed, 31. Mar 04, 15:25

EverythingXen wrote:Unfortunately the non-Khaak M3s have a hard time of things. I watched an Orinocco and a Demeter dogfight for *5* real hours yesterday (well, not watched as much as checked in periodically since I had a sat in the system and usually sweep through sectors I have presence in every hour or less). It was pathetic.
I was mining in a Paranid sector when a Khaak ship spawned waay above the ecliptic. Straight away an AI Nemesis and 2 Perseus's headed to intercept, so I ignored it and carried on mining. About an hour later, having cleaned out all the asteroids in sector, I jumped into my Dragon, and flew off to kill the Khaak M3 myself - an M6, and 2 M3s had, in nearly an hour of fighting, succeeded in killing all the Khaak M5s, but they'd never taken the M3 down below 75% shields with weapons fire - they did actually nearly kill it at one stage - by colliding with it a few times in quick succession, which actually caused hull damage, but that was it - in actual dogfighting, they were incapable of destroying a Khaak M3. I think pathetic sums that up really! :o

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”