NEWS: Update 1.2.1 hotfix now available for X³: Terran Conflict

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Sun, 2. Nov 08, 16:32

The registration SNAFU also has me ruffled. They still haven't sorted that out, and it's been two weeks.

Havner
x4

Post by Havner » Sun, 2. Nov 08, 18:15

Jimby wrote:Hmm, the hotfix doesn't fix plot problems. Guess I will be waiting for the 1.3 patch. Don't want to mess up my steam install with the manual patch since I can only install it 5 times. :roll:
You get limited installs on steam?

oskari
x4

Post by oskari » Sun, 2. Nov 08, 22:55

Havner wrote:
Jimby wrote:... can only install it 5 times. :roll:
You get limited installs on steam?
Yes.

Havner
x4

Post by Havner » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 01:03

oskari wrote:
Havner wrote:You get limited installs on steam?
Yes.
OMG, I've always avoided STEAM cause I don't like being dependant on any 3rd party to be able to use product I've paid for. Though did consider it for some things for other reasons. But now with this it's completely dead for me.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 01:06

Havner wrote:
oskari wrote:
Havner wrote:You get limited installs on steam?
Yes.
OMG, I've always avoided STEAM cause I don't like being dependant on any 3rd party to be able to use product I've paid for. Though did consider it for some things for other reasons. But now with this it's completely dead for me.
An important note: 5 activation limit is not a standard feature of Steam, but is instead apparently specific to certain titles via certain publishers. It is the TAGES system onboard the .exe file provided by Steam that requires the activation, not Steam. It's that activation that's limited to 5 times, not Steam.

"5 activations" isn't applicable to all Steam titles.

This thread is now moving into a DRM direction, and this post marks the end of it. Any further DRM discussion will simply be split and locked - that includes replies to this post.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Chroniss
x3tc

Post by Chroniss » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 01:16

So, how many days has it been now? They can't seriously still be "working" on this steam release, someone isn't paying attention. Can the Ego people who manage this get in contact with Steam and find out what the issue is? This is a minor issue now because its a hot-fix, when a full blown patch is released and you can't manually apply it to your steam install this is going to be horrible.

Creston
x3tc

Post by Creston » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 02:34

random50 wrote:Is this kind of delay normal with steam? First time I've ever bought from them, partly as a trial run, and this is not really encouraging me to buy from them again.
No as a matter of fact it is NOT normal for Steam to be this late with patches. So someone is screwing up royally somewhere...

Creston

Dungeoncrawler
x3tc

Post by Dungeoncrawler » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 03:31

Maybe it's because of the weekend? I'm assuming they get the weekend off like alot of others do. I'm hoping Monday will end the wait.

Dc

Snatcher42
x3tc

Post by Snatcher42 » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 04:16

That's probably true. Unfortunatly, the weekend is also when most people have time to play games. They should have a skeleton crew around at all times. Even on Halloween, hah!

Get it? Skeleton crew? Halloween?... Ok, I'll shut up now. :roll:

Incubi
xr

Post by Incubi » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 04:37

Snatcher42 wrote:That's probably true. Unfortunatly, the weekend is also when most people have time to play games. They should have a skeleton crew around at all times. Even on Halloween, hah!

Get it? Skeleton crew? Halloween?... Ok, I'll shut up now. :roll:
heh do not feel bad, I just made a reference to Steam cleaning my computer by removing Steam from it :D

mrakomor
x4

Post by mrakomor » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 09:51

Well, it may appear to be terrible, if you need to wait few days for the patch. Consider this: East European users of Mass Effect are waiting already several months for the first patch of this game. So be patient!

strude
x4

Post by strude » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 12:26

mrakomor wrote:Well, it may appear to be terrible, if you need to wait few days for the patch. Consider this: East European users of Mass Effect are waiting already several months for the first patch of this game. So be patient!
Why it is, that when someone is unhappy about a situation, the natural response from most people is to point out someone in a worse situation, and that's supposed to make them feel better? The fact that others are worse off than I am does nothing to change the current situation regarding the X3 hotfix.

I had a boss who always used the phrase "I was once sad that I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet". Like the existance of a bloke with no feet is supposed to cheer me up...

mad_axeman
x3tc

Post by mad_axeman » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 12:44

The point is made, not to make you feel better, but to illustrate that what afflicts you isn't really that much of an issue - it's to give some perspective on the situation. And really, waiting a couple of days is of no consequence.

Jenno
x3

Post by Jenno » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 15:03

If any of the moderators are still reading this.

I want to make it clear first that I'm not sure how different the steam version is compared to the retail box version. Now you know I'm a noob at this technical stuff, my question is:

Would it be possible for future patches be compatible for both steam and retail versions?

Since some players in the community could manually update it using the file downloaded found on this website. But for some people like me who doesn't want to mess with steam files and end up re-installing the game (which isn't a big deal, but just having to replay/back-up files, etc., is just too much of a hassel for a noob) can also benefit from the patch without waiting a week to get their game updated.

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 15:13

From my limited knowledge about how steam works:

It is not possible to make a patch that will be compatible with both versions, steam is responsible to pack and send the patch through their system, they will not allow anyone to create a patch that circumvents their own system.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 15:17

It's not a question of the patches being "compatible" with Steam. The Steam delivery system automatically checks your local game installation to keep it up to date. Any patch installed manually therefore runs the risk of being overwritten by Steam as part of that process, regardless of whether it is "compatible" or not.

Some people have managed to install the current 1.2.1 hotfix and disable automatic updates, but this isn't really advisable as you may miss it when the hotfix becomes available over Steam. A better answer for most people is just to be a little patient (and take into account things like weekends and timezone differences) and wait for Steam to sort things out at their end.

cucher

Post by cucher » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 17:18

I've bought a new computer 2 days ago, so would like to drop my own 5 cents to all posts.
First of all, my configuration:
motherboard Asus Maximus Extreme,
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33G/1333MHz/6M,
HDD Western Digital WD3000HLFS VelociRaptor,
video Asus GeForce GTX 280 1024M DDR3,
memory DDR3 8 Gb 1333Mhz
sound Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion,
MS Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

The HDD is completely free of any additional applications. X3:TC patched till 1.2.1. Previously (for 2 days) I played with my old comp:

motherboard MB Asus P5AD2-Premium,
CPU Intel Pentium 4 3.0G 800MHz/2M,
HDD Western Digital WD1600JD,
video Asus EN6800GT/TD,
memory DDR2 3 Gb Kingston 533MHz
sound on-board
MS Windows XP Home Edition.

So, what can I say? First two days with old comp the game was playable, except in few sectors (will mention only those ones with problems, which I opened): PTNI HQ, Home of Light (especially facing Terracorp HQ), Sol System. Also it was a slide show during dog fight (abt 0,5-2 fps with sudden freezes and accelerations). All settings were on "High", max AA & AF. Then I dropped AA & AF to x2, which gave me better performance: abt 1-5 fps, which is also a nightmare. Patch 1.2.1 improved situation in non-problem sectors, but didn't help in combat at all.

I hoped the new comp will allow me to "fly like an eagle", but I was too naive. Of course, everything was brilliant in most of the sectors (much better in comparison with old hardware), but not in fighting scenes again:
just constant freezes, freezes and even more freezes. The game runs perfectly between them, it's true, but it's not what I've expected. Besides, I've discovered much worse thing in Argon Military sector & Sol System (especially in Moon): suddenly fps dropped till 0,1-0,2, hud dissapeared for seconds with each frame, even step-by-step rendering of objects was visible. One time textures of Earth in Moon vanished. I observed only black&white sphere with gradient filling. Another interesting thing is disappearing of Tyr during misson in Aldrin sector. There were only firing turrets and nothing else. :o But the main thing is that it's absolutely impossible (for me anyway) to take part or even to observe more or less hard battle. Once I saw one in Paranid Prime (2 M2, 1 M7 + dozen of M3, M4, M5), frames were changing 1 time per 5-6 seconds. It was not easy to escape to another sector, belive me.
As a conclusion of my short post, I would like to tell that at this stage you can build and trade with perfect performance, absolutely can't fight (really fight!) and all of us should think about this problem. The solution must be somewhere inside the program, not in hardware.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 17:23

Please post in the Tech Support forum, providing the information requested in the first thread there. Given that there are many other people with much lower specification systems than you who don't have the problems you describe, there is at least some chance that there's an issue with your system configuration that could be corrected to improve things.

cucher

Post by cucher » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 17:30

Thnks, will do.

cconly
x3ap

Post by cconly » Mon, 3. Nov 08, 18:26

CBJ wrote:Please post in the Tech Support forum, providing the information requested in the first thread there. Given that there are many other people with much lower specification systems than you who don't have the problems you describe, there is at least some chance that there's an issue with your system configuration that could be corrected to improve things.
Maybe they just haven't bothered to complain, knowing the situation is being worked on.

I, for example, upgraded my system to match Egosoft's recommended one, and I have all the problems described in the previous post. (Using version 1.2.1.)

I just don't see that there's any advantage to posting yet another dxdiag file.

cconly

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”