Creative Cockpits

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Special88
x3

Creative Cockpits

Post by Special88 » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 15:56

I JUST PICKED UP X3 AND HAVE NOT PLAYED IT YET. MY QUESTION PERTAINS TO THE COCKPIT ORIENTATION THAT WAS WITHIN X2 THE THREAT.

I BELIEVED THE INTERNAL COCKPIT VEIW OF X2: THE THREAT ADDED A LOT OF DEPTH TO THE GAME ITSELF, HOWEVER USLESS IT MAY HAVE BEEN. BUT IT STILL GIVES ME THE FEELING ABOUT THE LEVEL OF CONTROL WITHIN THE GAME.

I HAVE HEARD RUMORS THAT THERE IS NO COCKPIT VEIW WITHIN THE X3: REUNION. WHY HAS THIS BEEN DONE? ARE COCKPIT DESIGNS TOO HARD TO INTEGRATE INTO THE GAME? :(

HOWEVER ASTHETIC AND PLEASING THE NEW GRAPHICS ENGINE IS, I STILL BELIEVE THAT THE GAME WOULD LACK THE FEELING OF BEING A PILOT ABOARD A SHIP. TAKE FOR INSTANCE A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER WITHOUT A GUN GRAPHIC, SEE MY POINT? WHAT WEAPON DOES THE CHARACTER HAVE? IT TAKES A LEVEL OF COOLNESS OUT OF THE GAME.

:idea: I REALLY WISH EGOSOFT WOULD BE KIND ENOUGH TO ADD THE COCKPITS INTO A PATCH OR SOMETHING, SO THE DEPTH OF X3: REUNION MATCHESS THE PLAYABILITY STANDARDS THAT IT SET IN X2: THE THREAT

bomb#20
x3ap

Post by bomb#20 » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 15:59

Kinda juvanile writing in all caps, if you would have checked via the search function you would know your answer allready...

Here´s a Script that adds Cockpits:

http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php ... minimalhud

Next time PLEASE use the Searchfunction first!!!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 16:00

First, this is not a Tech Support question, so it has been moved to the main forum. Second, there was an 80+ page thread about this before release in which detailed explanations were given. And finally, you might want to do something about that stuck Shift key of yours. ;)

Special88
x3

Post by Special88 » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 16:13

thanks, im glad to know that im a juvelnile and do not know as much as game desiners and moderators. this is my first time on a forum, perhaps egosofts consumers are better off not giving feedback in lieu of getting insulted. .

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 16:17

The comment about being juvenile was unacceptable, and I would have picked the poster up on it had I seen it (he/she posted while I was typing my reply). For reference, the explanation from Bernd was here.

Special88
x3

Post by Special88 » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 16:25

Im sorry CBJ, that wasnt directed torward you or egosoft itself. I apologize for the caps also. I have bad vision and im a two finger typist. 7 or 8 words a day :)

You guys are great and im impressed with you services.
Thank you for your help

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 16:33

I think we might get cockpits in the future (I'm naturally optimistic) but don't quote me on that and welcome to the forum :thumb_up:

Special88
x3

Post by Special88 » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 16:51

Thank you camera4,
I think its just strange to have no cockpits, but i guess there is some logic behind the idea of having none. I still think the game will rock, because its one of the best space sims in the known universe, but cockpits would make this game untouchable for a long time.

Graphil
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x3tc

Post by Graphil » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 16:53

As mentioned above there is a way off adding them in if you want. However I have found that I have really got used to not having them and being able to see much more. Each to their own I suppose. Welcome to the forums.
Graphil

There are two secrets to life: 1) Don't tell everything you know...

acrh2
x3

Post by acrh2 » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 16:55

I've been flying capital ships a lot, and the cockpits are not so good with those - the restrict the view too much.
C2Q 6700 @ 3.50 GHz, OCZ 2x2GB @ 400, EVGA Nforce 680 sli,
EVGA gtx 280 FTW , Mitsu DP 2070SB 22"
X-FI Fatal1ty, Klipsch 5.1 UIltra, Sennheiser HD555
2 x WD Raptor 74 + 2 x 150 GB Raid0, 850W + 430W PS

Special88
x3

Post by Special88 » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 17:15

Thank you both, I agree with you both that they do indeed obstruct the vision of the PC's. In fact case-in-point they also can add a realism factor into the games difficulty for example: if playing in X-treme is too easy for those veteran pilots they can, in-turn, switch on the cockpit and allow the obstructed veiw for a greater challenge to overcome(challenge is why we play right?). Perhaps if there was some reward for playing this way? At least a HUD with some sort of cockpit area, to give the impression your on a ship and not just floating around in your space suit with windows xp programmed into the sheild you know?

I am aware that there are scripts avaiable, unfourtunatly, I am no where near my own computer to try them(i am very anxious though)...
A couple questions:

-Can you turn them on or off automatically?

-Are they any good as far as representing the vessel that you are in?

Special88
x3

Post by Special88 » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 18:34

Technically Egosoft can make some money off of their choice to keep cockpits out of the game that is already being sold, even though a lot of time and energy would be spent into creating so many variations of cockpits and the design problem they have with the camera geometry, there is still a profit to be had as to justify the resources used. I dont know if it would work, because i am not a marketing or sales buff...but i believe instead of just patches, scripts and other resources used already, perhaps a collective intelligence of the many program editors and software gurus within and out of egosoft perhaps they can make an expansion pack ( i think one is in the making, but dont quote me), which could be sold alongside the game to include updates, new missions, added plots, perhaps the M0's, weapons and these 150 or so cockpits. Im sure they could sell for $40-$50. I'd sure buy it. This would then favormany different types of people rather than just the individual and be one complete unit rather than thousands of add ons. It just would make more sense. What does everyone think?

Bedwyr
x3

Post by Bedwyr » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 20:46

I'm a flight instructor in real life and use Microsoft Flight Sim as a teaching aide. Instrument panels take up 9/10 of the monitor's real estate during instrument operations (you don't need to see outside), but it helps to switch to full-screen mode when landing or taking off.

A great compromise would be to add a toggle for HUD vs cockpit modes. Wing Commander Academy (and maybe WCIII) had this if I remember right.

And yes, it helps immersiveness to have such things.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 20:53

I *hated* cockpits in X/X2.
In captured Xenon or pirate ships you could barely see out, so I never used those ships myself.

I was very pleased to see them gone in X3. If they return at all they need to be optional, so I can turn them off.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Bedwyr
x3

Post by Bedwyr » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 22:37

You know, you're right of course. They can get annoying during combat. That's why the HUD concept is such an improvement. And I'm sure that the reasons why I would want a cockpit (personal reassurance that I'm not a spirit floating in space) is also why Ego dropped it as even an option (not worth the trouble).

But I definitely think they're worth it if it's on a small/moddable scale.

Special88
x3

Post by Special88 » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 23:13

In X2: The Threat, Cockpits were able to be switched on and off via toggling. Also there was more to the HUD that made you feel like you were in the ship, via some parts which only slightly hindered visibility and could be toggled on and off. On the M2's and M1's there was a bridge instead of a cockpit, and it always made me feel like I was standing on such a gigantic ship ready to command a fleet, although I could not afford one after spending all that money maintaining and buying those beast. But I think its also a feeling of pride that the player accumulates after countless hours of playing the everso addicting game.

LesX3
x3

One thing I really miss in X3

Post by LesX3 » Thu, 12. Jan 06, 01:23

OK, the game really started to grow on me (after some teething problems). I can leave with most of the things I have complained about before, but one thing I REALLY miss: it is the cockpit...

I am not talking about some fancy graphics: just an easy on-screen access to all the devices. I would imagine something like that:

1) At the left edge of the screen (vertically) - a console with comm, transporter beam, autopilot activation, docking computer etc. - just some buttons to press with lights indicating status.

2) at the bottom the nav computer (with the nav map popping up as HUD) - with better controls for moving around the map (not the tiny arrows we have currently) Plus some selectors for weapon groups.
Plus the command computer with better layout and less deep menu system.

3) At the right (verically at the edge of the screen) - weapon selectors, turret controls etc.

I would gladly sacrifice say 30% of the actual screen "window" which eats up graphic card resources and produces not-so-great frame rate if I could have better interface...

What do you think ?

Stu Austin
x4

Post by Stu Austin » Thu, 12. Jan 06, 01:29

I don't miss the cockpits at all. I like the way it is now. I can see everything.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 12. Jan 06, 01:48

The lack of a cockpit makes me feel like I'm back in some dark control room, flying the ship remotely (which of course I am in Real Life, but that's not the point). I'm also one who prefers the immersiveness of cockpits. I dearly miss them in X3. There's nothing quite like turning your virtual head sideways and watching the scene unfold as you're turning on final approach to the docking bay (in X2, sadly not in X3). Cockpits should definitely be an option, just as we have the choice between joystick and mouse (and keyboard, of course).

Hmmm. I wonder what the relationship is between those that use joysticks vs mice, and those that prefer cockpits and those that don't. I'd bet the joystick users are also predominantly the cockpits lovers, and the mouse users are predominantly cockpit haters. Sounds like a good poll to me. :D
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

secat187
x3

Post by secat187 » Thu, 12. Jan 06, 02:26

I'm not sure if I miss the cockpits anymore. I think it was the lack of important information that has been in the same place throughout the x games, like the hull, shields and lazer energy bars was what I imediately saw. The fact there wasn't the cockpit wasn't a major thing.

I would have been fine with everything if egosoft had left the bars near the centre of the screen. Having to look away from the ship you are chasing to see if your shields are nearly gone is not a good design.
3200xp barton
asus geforce 5950 ultra
audigy player
1Gb crucial PC 3200 DDR Ram
MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR Mother board
40Gb HD + 200Gb sata drive
Thermaltake Butterfly Purepower 480W

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”