Killed my first Khaak destroyer, And I only have my little Nemesis.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jolly_Roger_uk
x3

Killed my first Khaak destroyer, And I only have my little Nemesis.

Post by Jolly_Roger_uk » Fri, 27. Jan 06, 23:51

I jumped into Pontifex's Seclusion last night and found 2 Khaak destroyers patrolling the sector.

The Paranid stations were relatively unscathed, although ships coming into the sector were attacked fairly quickly.

I was hiding behind an asteroid, thinking about how to take these destroyers on, when, not one, but two Paranid military nemesis's came through the west gate and approached one of the destroyers, It was a very short battle, all of ten seconds or so, Khaak-2, Paranid-0.

Well as I was sitting there thinking, I remembered about seeing an Orca in Kingdoms end getting stuck on a roid and lasting all of a few seconds before he exploded.

So I approached one of the destroyers and at about 6km away fired a few wasps at him, to get his attention, He duly swung around and started to come straight for me.

So I hid behind the roid, and using his view, (cycle F1) I could see where he was in relation to the roid, when he was pretty close to it,(I was about 2.5km from it) I fired a burst of AHEPT and the mining laser weapon.

The roid split into 4 or so pieces and gave him a glancing blow, which took his shields down to about 95%, So starting to crap myself a bit, I just let loose with the AHEPT fire and obliterated all four bits of the asteroid.

Basically then, the Khaak, tried to fly through the roid bits, got stuck and within about 10 seconds or so, was engulfed in a ball of fire.

There was nothing to collect afterwards in the way of dropped cargo, And the other destroyer had vanished somewhere.

I did'nt get any credit for the kill, on my fighting rep.

But I did find a new, cheap way of killing destoyers without wasting 80k+ torpedo's on them.

theKettle
x3

Post by theKettle » Fri, 27. Jan 06, 23:54

Very nice, and imaginative. I've only killed one KM2, by the tried and tested 'Elephant with BPPCs' method.
------------------

If I want to be toned up, calmed down, invigorated or anything then it's very simple. I just have a cup of tea.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sat, 28. Jan 06, 00:50

theKettle wrote:Very nice, and imaginative. I've only killed one KM2, by the tried and tested 'Elephant with BPPCs' method.
Is BPPC range a bit higher than APPC? With Dragon/APPC approach KM2 starts to fire at you at about the same time as you hear "target is in the fireing range" for him. Good thing is that KIONS miss you at the very end of the range and your APPC shots land just fine. Is it the same with Elephant? I had some doubts that bigger ship still can be hit at 4.22 range. Just curious - have my Dragon stacked in Family Pride in case they return :)

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 28. Jan 06, 01:13

Nifty strat, Jolly_Roger_uk ! Well done !

kurush wrote:
theKettle wrote: .....Is BPPC range a bit higher than APPC? With Dragon/APPC approach KM2 starts to fire at you at about the same time as you hear "target is in the fireing range" for him.....
That's too late. Don't wait for Betty saying "target in fireing range". All PPC's have much farther range than Betty wants you make believe.

Fire APPC about 5Km distance and watch the traget monitor. Takes a while until they hit. With a Dragon you're faster than the destroyer. Hit and run.

Of couse if there's a roid on the way use Jolly_Roger_uk's method :grin:

Cheers Euclid

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sat, 28. Jan 06, 07:51

euclid wrote:Nifty strat, Jolly_Roger_uk ! Well done !

That's too late. Don't wait for Betty saying "target in fireing range". All PPC's have much farther range than Betty wants you make believe.

Fire APPC about 5Km distance and watch the traget monitor. Takes a while until they hit. With a Dragon you're faster than the destroyer. Hit and run.

Of couse if there's a roid on the way use Jolly_Roger_uk's method :grin:

Cheers Euclid
I would not say it is too late as I was doing just fine while staying in the "official" range. Still, it is nice to know that you can fire from a bigger distance. Thanks!

Julius_Sneezer
x3

Post by Julius_Sneezer » Sat, 28. Jan 06, 15:25

I didn't have the money for any big ship and I couldn't find Firestorm torpedos so I tried the PPC idea with a Split Dragon M6. I first teased it with front ppc then when it started to follow me I matched pace with it, but out of reach of Khaak lazer(4.40km), climbed into back turret and kept firing. Turning on AI for back turret doesn't try to fire until it is too close for comfort, so I had to man the back turret myself.

This method; using one single Alpha ppc is slow, but it worked.
"I've graduated to a Noobs Noob Assistant now!"

AMD 3000, MSI-7125 Nforce 4 Motherboard, 1gig ram DDR 400 Dual Channel, ATI X1950Pro 256, Win XP Sp2, Creative Audigy 2 Value

stefku2000

Post by stefku2000 » Mon, 30. Jan 06, 22:01

I have killed Khaak M2 with my Nova Rider and 8 Mass Drivers. I have fired abou 40 MD ammunition. Well, you can ask how did I get close enough to fire. :) Easy, I have launtch 40 fighter drones and set them to protect me. Destroyer was trying to shoot down drones, so I got into the hole in it's tail and then strarted to fire. Well, if want to do so, you must be realy good in flying with strafe drive to stay in good position. And I also got some money for that :twisted:

Krevel
x3

Post by Krevel » Mon, 30. Jan 06, 23:44

So far (knock on wood), I've only had one massive Khaak invasion in my game. It was in Ghinn's Escape - three destroyers and a medium-sized cluster.

With nothing better than an M3, I tried taking them on and lost - big time and many times. Until, that is, I noticed that if no one fired upon them the Khaak destroyers would go into a more passive mode. This allowed me to not only get close to them, but actually get right inside! Literally crawled right up it's asshole! From there I could wail away with my 8 MD's and fry those suckers in about 30 seconds!

Weirdest thing. I don't know if anyone else has experienced anything like this?
There are two things we know are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And we're not sure about the universe.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”