TP Class, what's it for?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

McPhearsom
x4

TP Class, what's it for?

Post by McPhearsom » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 18:14

I may be missing something here, but other than a few BBS missions is there any reason to buy an expensive TP ship?

They are more expensive than a TS, have a smaller cargo bay and the same speed, shields and weapons. I haven't found any use for them since you'd have to do a LOT of BSS missions in potentially dangerous territory to make up for the inital cost of the ship.

Anyone know a good use for them?

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 18:22

For capping!

Edit: Them that is, not in one!
Last edited by apogee on Tue, 7. Mar 06, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 18:23

Target practice? :D

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: TP Class, what's it for?

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 18:31

McPhearsom wrote:I may be missing something here, but other than a few BBS missions is there any reason to buy an expensive TP ship?

They are more expensive than a TS, have a smaller cargo bay and the same speed, shields and weapons. I haven't found any use for them since you'd have to do a LOT of BSS missions in potentially dangerous territory to make up for the inital cost of the ship.

Anyone know a good use for them?
i've not done any of the missions in X3, but in X2 u could earn alot of money even on 1 mission.

i've earnt like 5 million of one tour mission which easily pays for the cost of the ship ;)

Spatzimaus
x4

Post by Spatzimaus » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 18:34

With the exception of the Paranids', the TPs are significantly (~50%) faster than the TSs, and most have better turn rates as well. For instance, the fastest Boron TP goes 120, while their fastest TS goes 75. The Split Iguana Vanguard can go 190, which is VERY nice, although its cargo bay is a pathetic 517. (Note: always get the Hauler/Vanguard version of a TP; I think the Paranid Hermes is the only one whose stock cargo bay is size L)

So, the only real reason to have one (outside of BBS missions) are for selling high-value, low-volume cargos from one of your factories. Crystals, computer parts, weapons and shields... there's really no reason to have a 10k cargo bay when you're only carrying a few hundred spaces at most, and speed allows you to get the runs completed faster. If you're using the user-created trader scripts this isn't as important, but when "Sell at Best Price" only allows for a single good, it's a waste to use a TS Super Freighter for these goods.
You COULD use a fighter for this, but M5s and non-Boron M4s just don't hold enough, and M3s are too expensive. That leaves Mako Raiders and Pirate Busters, for about the same price as a TP but with only ~200 cargo.

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 18:45

Tour of a lifetime? :roll:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585 - X2 The Threat High Definition Mod - You know you wanna :)

fud
x3

Post by fud » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 19:00

Shame you can't just pick up the passengers and haul them straight to a pirate base.

Godalmighty83
x3

Post by Godalmighty83 » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 19:04

my current tp is one of my best ships, high shields m3 speeds and a large drone protection force. also has jumpdrive and can carry enough cells for some long trips.

its speed and mobility advantages of the rest of my merchant fleet has made it a good earner.

but they are mighty expensive to buy and i would have thought that a ship that originaly carried VIP's would have a fair few turrets to protect itself with.

iam hoping in vain that 1.4 adds a couple more turrets to the ship.

McPhearsom
x4

Post by McPhearsom » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 19:06

fud wrote:Shame you can't just pick up the passengers and haul them straight to a pirate base.
:lol:

"Hey this isn't the way to the leisure spa!" :twisted:

Uzi77
x4

Post by Uzi77 » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 19:44

fud wrote:Shame you can't just pick up the passengers and haul them straight to a pirate base.
Com'on, lets be honest here, who hasn't tried this? There's even an BBS post GIVING you the idea, "Passengers Sold To Slavery". Curse Egosoft for not allowing us to do it, Slaves are pretty pointless once you've got past the 100,000Cr mark. If only the Pirate Bases in Split sectors constantly produced slaves. Buy Low + Sell High = Slave Trade!

*sigh* Opportunity Missed.

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 19:54

Uzi77 wrote:
*sigh* Opportunity Missed.
Ask for it it the scripting forum, It's easy to do and not a bad idea

pongkan
x3tc

Post by pongkan » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 20:44

it should cost you a HUGE rep hit though. i mean there isnt going to be any doubt as to who the culprit is

fud
x3

Post by fud » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 21:07

heh heh, a deduct of about 50-75000 rep points would seem fair.

I've wondered, if you ejected all the passengers, would they turn into astronauts? Thus, you could pick them back up as slaves?

I haven't tried this. I'm guessing sending them into the void of space might be a little lethal. As I'm sure the average traveler isn't taking a cruise wearing a space suit. :D

McPhearsom
x4

Post by McPhearsom » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 21:36

Spacesuits are only worn by pilots ejecting from ships, anyone traveling as cargo (which includes passengers and slaves) is destroyed when ejected. I think you should see their struggle to breathe and then their lifeless bodies drifting in space though, maybe some screams, but that may increase the age rating of this game :twisted: Perhaps just produce those sleeper pods which show in the description for the Cargo Life Support system.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 21:51

Wonder if you could use them as chaff... :twisted:

McPhearsom
x4

Post by McPhearsom » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 22:10

..or give them a space suit and a laser pistol and use them as cheap fighter drones :twisted:

Krevel
x3

Post by Krevel » Tue, 7. Mar 06, 23:51

In X2, my Iguana was, hands-down, my favorite ship. I used it for just about everything. I also kept a Manta in my TL for use as tour ship.

In X3, the TP class is far less useful. Since they can't be docked on a TL, I never have one around for Tour missions, and so I don't ever do them. I do use a couple of TP's (ones I "found") as go-fers - fetching weapons, shields, etc. I also use them to remotely place satellites.

I also have a couple of Iguanas that are part of a sector patrol. They cost about the same as a M4 and have similar armament, but they are better shielded. So far, they seem to be doing a pretty good job.

Otherwise, I don't find much use for them.
There are two things we know are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And we're not sure about the universe.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Wed, 8. Mar 06, 01:29

I'm using one as a sector trader in Company Pride, seeing as all thats there, are SPP's, Flower Farms and Nostrop Factories. Been a slow but speady source of income for a couple of game-days now.

Barks

Post by Barks » Wed, 8. Mar 06, 03:43

fud wrote:Wonder if you could use them as chaff... :twisted:
Nice idea :D

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 8. Mar 06, 03:52

In X2 the TP class was great for station supply and sales, especially since the Teladi one could handle XL goods. I used them a lot.

In X3 they're a bit crippled, and not nearly as useful. I've yet to buy one and keep it. I captured one or two, found a few free ones, but none have kept my interest.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”