UT and weaponry.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hoops71
x3

UT and weaponry.

Post by Hoops71 » Fri, 24. Nov 06, 11:36

I read somewhere on here a LONG time ago that its better not to arm your UT's with any weaponry as they will use them agressively and not just for self defense.Is this true? As Im getting quite annoyed with the number of UT's Im losing I was wondering if I should arm them? At the moment I let them roam around with fighter drones (which they bought themselves) only.

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Fri, 24. Nov 06, 11:40

do not give them any fighting software ... or even weaponry ... if they got nothing -> they jump away ... if not, they try to fight more often =)

and after all, me personally got no use for ut's ... too hostile the universe it is !
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

apogee
x3tc

Post by apogee » Fri, 24. Nov 06, 11:47

For a UT , fight command software is required, otherwise it can't be made into a UT. AFAIK a UT is programmed to leg it when under attack (jump to a safe sector) whether or not its armed.

Hoops71
x3

Post by Hoops71 » Fri, 24. Nov 06, 12:01

Hmm right,guess Im gonna have to experiment by loading one of my UT's with weaponry and seing how long it survives! :twisted:

Phlt
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Phlt » Fri, 24. Nov 06, 12:27

Hoops71 wrote:Hmm right,guess Im gonna have to experiment by loading one of my UT's with weaponry and seing how long it survives! :twisted:
Not very long I'm afraid.
Fight softwares are mandatory because MK3 will use fighter drones. These drones will distract the assailant, giving time for the UT to jump.
If it is equiped with guns, he might intend to fight, and be destroyed fairly quickly.
This what has been reported by many players.

Etolf
x3tc

Post by Etolf » Fri, 24. Nov 06, 12:42

Phlt wrote: Not very long I'm afraid.
Fight softwares are mandatory because MK3 will use fighter drones. These drones will distract the assailant, giving time for the UT to jump.
If it is equiped with guns, he might intend to fight, and be destroyed fairly quickly.
and that has been my experience too, I never arm my UTs, and I only tend to lose the odd one now and then.. but more since 2.02 as there seems to be more Khaak and Pirates about, but it's still not too bad...

Dunners
x3

Post by Dunners » Fri, 24. Nov 06, 13:16

Also get your pilots from the scaredy cat emporium. The test i use is to burst a paper bag, if they have a nervous breakdown then i employ them as UT pilots.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 24. Nov 06, 18:10

Phlt wrote: Not very long I'm afraid.
It was reported by many players in X2, and even then it only applied to normal station haulers, NOT UTs. I have never had a UT try to "stand and fight" in either game--they will always attempt to drop fighter drones and then jump out. You lose them because (a) they're out of fighter drones or (b) they get attacked by something big and get destroyed before their jumpdrive can charge up.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”