New Xs

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Dogbite
x3ap

New Xs

Post by Dogbite » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 02:00

Well Ain't this just Great.
I haven't played XTENTION for a long time and haven't been on this board for about 6 YRS. now I find out that I've been left behind(way behind)
I have X TENTION from yr. 2000 and I think that there are 2 games sence then? Looked like a new ver. of X TENTION 2? And X3 I'll order X3 shortly.
Is there a differance in the two X2s or am I off base there?
And is there an X4 comming out?

Thanks
Dogbite

:D

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 03:04

Welcome back!
  • After X-Tension there was X2. It is definately in the same genre as X-Tension, but a big step on.
  • After X2 there was X3. (It was meant to be an X2 expansion pack, but the game engine was so improved it turned into a whole new game.) It is definately in the same genre as X2, but a big step on.
  • After X3 was X3 patch v2.0.02. (free, with additional missions.)
  • There are rumours of an expansion to X3. (pay for?)
X2 and X3 both have Bonus Packs - collections of fan-created scripts that have been stress-tested and deemed to be balanced, reliable and useful.

X4 is something else. The fans assume it will come to be. EgoSoft are saying nuttin'.

X2 is now so cheap that it's worth buying, though that will inevitably delay your entry to the better, bigger, brighter world of X3.

You've got a lot to catch up on!
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 03:29

I just want to say that if you're deciding between X2 and X3, I'd just get X3 at this point. They're pretty similar, but X3 has a more beautiful, faster engine, better features, and is more user-friendly (customizable controls, better interface).
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

Kaiser Kraft
x3tc

Post by Kaiser Kraft » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 04:36

You may need to upgrade your Win95 386DX and Voodoo card to play X3 though.

Oh and the 30mb western digital is redundant now...can you believe that? Jeeeesssss

They all come back in the end. :o)

Dhore
x3tc

Post by Dhore » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 05:43

Bah ya beat me to it (i know theres a large time difference but ive been afk on this page for a while).

Was just gonna say hope you dont have the same PC you played X-Tension on in 2000, and welcome back - I have long absences too but I used to be on the old (deleted) forums back then in 2000 too :)

If you wanna get into the story - play X2, X2 is alot different than X3 in the way the universe lives. 2 is more like X-Tension in many ways, including the fact that npc factories *own* ships. The difference in 3 is that Races own ships and are more or less independent traders, factories dont own any ships (except yours). IF you dont play the story and just like building your empire or a nice space sim - play X3 but make sure you have a machine that meets the requirements

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 31. Dec 06, 08:29

There was a 2.0 patch for X-Tension. This is NOT the same as X2, which was an entirely new game. If you have a rig capable of it I'd jump straight in with X3, personally, but you'll need a pretty good machine for that to be the case.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”