X4 on Xbox 360

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Syndrome
x3tc

X4 on Xbox 360

Post by Syndrome » Mon, 1. Jan 07, 11:54

First, who would like X4 to be on Xbox 360, and second, are Ego considering it like they were with X3?

I think X4 on 360 would be great, for both players and Ego. For the players Xbox 360 seems like a easier way to play X3; and for Ego, it would widen their buisness a huge amount. Of coarse the way the game is played would have to be altered a bit, but it would be for the better.

What do guys think.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 1. Jan 07, 12:08

I think i must be missing something here.

X4??? Not heard anything about it.

xeon_1
x4

Post by xeon_1 » Mon, 1. Jan 07, 12:34

mmm as long as they port the pc version to xbox i don't have a problem but if they do it the other way arround then the pc gamers will get a crap game like all port's
besides i don't think an xbox 360 has enough cpu power and memory to run a game like the X serie's

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Mon, 1. Jan 07, 12:37

I sure hope consoles are not even considered.

1. consoles are way too underpowered to run the ammount of stuff required to run even X3.

2. unless you strap a keyboard to console you are going to have a hard time doing anything fast enough.

3. Altered a bit???? yeah like the current console players can even begin to play this complex games, it would have to be simplified and that would loose all current X series fans.

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Mon, 1. Jan 07, 13:20

First, who would like X4 to be on Xbox 360, and second, are Ego considering it like they were with X3?
As far as we know they aren't considering X4 at all. Not for PC or X-Box. No announcements have been made about the future of the X series beyond that they are making an expansion for X3 and would like at some point to do a fully online version of the game.

dragonsblade71uk
x3tc

Post by dragonsblade71uk » Mon, 1. Jan 07, 13:56

besides i don't think an xbox 360 has enough cpu power and memory to run a game like the X serie's
Well the Xbox360 does have 3 CPU`s so I`m sure that there would be enough computing power to run it. Proberably better than many PC`s at the moment.
With only 512 MB of ram memory might be a problem, but then they would have to alter the gameplay of the game to make it console compatable.

And there lies the real problem. You can`t simplify this game into a console game, and keep it true to the game we love.

Can you imagine having to go though all those menu`s using the joypad, or having to order your other ships about with it.

It is just not a console game!

djkaos
x2

Post by djkaos » Mon, 1. Jan 07, 14:02

It is just not a console game!

That's your answer, plain and simple!!

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 1. Jan 07, 15:35

hmm, would I like a non existent game to be on a console I don't own. That's a tricky one...

I know, I'd like a game that rewarded me for playing well by printing off real cash I could spend in shops. That wouldn't be too hard...
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Messianic
x3

Post by Messianic » Mon, 1. Jan 07, 16:15

Geggo wrote: 3. Altered a bit???? yeah like the current console players can even begin to play this complex games, it would have to be simplified and that would loose all current X series fans.
That's an incredibly naive comment, and it makes you sound like a bitter fanboy. You are stereotyping everyone who owns a PS2, Xbox, Wii and every console? I own a PS2 and have many games on it, yet I still play X3 and understand the complexities. The only reason an X game would have to be altered to run on a console would be because of the menu's and the MANY commands available. For this reason, the PC is always far superior to any console in terms of the availability of controls. The Xbox 360 controller just doesn't have enough buttons, whereas the PC has a whole keyboard.
Geggo wrote:1. consoles are way too underpowered to run the ammount of stuff required to run even X3.
As someone else has mentioned the Xbox 360 has plently enough CPU power to run X3. The PS3 will be even more powerful, so in terms of graphics and presentation, the next-gen consoles would easily be able to handle a game such as X3.
"No matter how fast light travels, it will always find that darkness has got there first. And is waiting for it."
T. Pratchett - Reaper Man

LLothar
x3

Post by LLothar » Mon, 1. Jan 07, 16:23

X4 on console = almost no user generated content. You just can't modify games on console as much as you can do it on a PC.

Fresshness

Post by Fresshness » Mon, 1. Jan 07, 16:25

I don't agree. X should steer clear from consoles ! and continue to focus on PC !

No other words should be soiled on this subject. end communication.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Mon, 1. Jan 07, 17:04

Can 360 use a mouse?, I dont have one (out-voted at home for Zelda on the Wii) but if it does thats all your menu probs sorted combined with the controller, and more power to EgoSoft if they do, helps extend R&D for us too dont you think.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

tanner1ie
x3tc

Post by tanner1ie » Mon, 1. Jan 07, 17:36

you don't need a mouse to play X3 as it is, a controller and a commands menu do me just fine and i would much more like to see an X game on the forthcoming playstation 3 than the xbox.(as i've stated here previously). in general i prefer playing games on a console and i only play the pc games that i can't get on my PS2,(i always wonder why they're not released on it, but that's a different topic) such as X3, call of duty 2, far cry, the movies, black and white 2 and age of empires 3.
if a game is released on pc and playstation at the same time, such as a hitman game, i always buy the playstation version - so if in the future X4 where to come out on pc and PS3 together i know which version i'd be buying.
Ever dance with the devil by the pale moonlight?

Martin Logan
x3

I wouldnt like it

Post by Martin Logan » Mon, 1. Jan 07, 18:54

Personaly i wouldnt like x4 on xbox since i dont have one anyway.
And if it does come out indeed start of by making a pc version and convert that to xbox version.

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Mon, 1. Jan 07, 19:44

The Xbox 360 and PS3 could certainly run it (those 3 CPUs are each pretty weak, only about 1.7 ghz P4's, but since they're not running background tasks and are specifically programmed, they can be used very well. The 512mb of RAM is also very fast stuff, so it swaps out textures and stuff like it's all in memory, and again doesn't have any other tasks). The problem is the control scheme; it would be really hard to play a game like X on a console controller. There just aren't enough buttons, too many menus, and too much clicking through stuff rather than fluid movement. Ultimately, the game would be extremely simplified (dumbed-down). Just take a look at Oblivion: its menus are big and stupid so you can see them on a TV and many of the stats systems were taken out, because quite frankly, many console players just want to fight, not role-play.
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

tanner1ie
x3tc

Post by tanner1ie » Mon, 1. Jan 07, 20:37

when i'm playing X3 i use the keyboard and mouse very little, only using the i, u and a key mapped to the docking computer, the flight commands i have on a controller, about the only time i use the mouse is to select targets on screen as having one button mapped on the controller to cycle through targets can be tedious. anyway my point being except for a few buttons i play the game with a controller and by using command menus.
as an aside, in games like age of empires i use only the mouse without any hotkey.
having 30 command buttons in a game is unnecessary and i'm thankful X3 supports a controller, unlike far cry, which has about 30 buttons and forces me to play with the keyboard and mouse. in general if a pc doesn't support a controller(other than a god game) i won't play it, FEAR works fine with controller, i nearly brought call of duty 2 back with it's keyboard only controls.(a game that ran perfectly on the xbox)
hopefully when the PS3 is out more pc developers will make the effort to make their games more user friendly as with forthcoming playstation releases of Fear and half life 2(with 2 of it's 3 episodes).
Ever dance with the devil by the pale moonlight?

Java Jawa
x3tc

Post by Java Jawa » Mon, 1. Jan 07, 20:54

Strictly no consoles please - involving consoles with PC games inevitably screws them up, as the Call of Duty series has shown among others.

Keep X PC pure if there is an X4.

Edit: tanner1ie - if your primary criteria for playing a PC game is whether it wil support a controller, then you're missing out on the best the PC has to offer.
i7 940 @ 2.93GHz
6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator 1600MHz RAM
XFX GTX 295 1792MB GPU
ASUS Rampage II Extreme MoBo w/ X-Fi
Logitech G19, G9, Z-2300 THX speakers
Sennheiser PC350 headphones

Yeorin
x3

Re: X4 on Xbox 360

Post by Yeorin » Tue, 2. Jan 07, 01:15

Syndrome wrote:First, who would like X4 to be on Xbox 360, and second, are Ego considering it like they were with X3?

I think X4 on 360 would be great, for both players and Ego. For the players Xbox 360 seems like a easier way to play X3; and for Ego, it would widen their buisness a huge amount. Of coarse the way the game is played would have to be altered a bit, but it would be for the better.

What do guys think.
1. They haven't even confirmed X4 to be in development yet. They've said nothing about it at all.

2. Easier to play? Are you insane? I can't imagine being restricted to so few keys in X3, much less not having access to a proper joystick!! And to top it off, I wouldn't even be able to alt-tab to come read the forums. They'd probably have to Freelancerize it (see #4).

3. Yes, they would garner additional sales, assuming the game didn't suck so much that they lose their PC fans (see below). I'm not saying all console players are idiots, but it cannot be denied that when a game is designed for a console, the general aim is a less complex game than what we have in the X series right now. I literally cannot think of one single game that got better when ported to a console...but I can think of several that turned to crap.

4.Gameplay would change for the better? Again, are you batty? Every PC game that gets ported to a console turns into a steaming heap of dung. The complexity would be drained from the gameplay to pander to the run-n-gun console crowd. Dracula would look at how fast consolification drained the X series of it's life, and he'd be jealous.

And what would happen to the community mods and scripts? I don't think Cycrow or any of the other scripters are going to take too kindly to typing in code by selecting individual characters with an analog stick. :P

FearOfFlesh
x3

Post by FearOfFlesh » Tue, 2. Jan 07, 04:40

Well the good thing about having a game on a system is that ALOT of bug issues are taken out of the equasion right away. Most PC bug issues happen because EVERY PC is different. With systems, they are all standard parts. So what you program to happens happens.

Plus systems are dedicated to games, so they run ALOT smoother then PC's and are much more powerful then the PC equivilant .

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Tue, 2. Jan 07, 11:40

Just beacause Sony says PS3 will do 2 TFLOPS and microsoft says XBOX360 does 1 TFLOPS doesn't actually mean either will be anywhere near those figures.

honestly think about those for a while, high end pc cpu does about 20 GFLOPS so theyr actually trying to say that something hell of a lot cheaper would do 100 times that.

as comparison lets take Nasas Columbia supercomputer (consisting of 20xSGI Altix 3000 nodes each with 512 Intel Itanium 2 cpus) which ranks up 52 TFLOPS.

so I could just take 52 XBOX360s and have the same computing power....right. :roll:

more likely is that both companies included GPU power in that numberand exaterated the combined number to market the thing better.

I seriously doubt either can cruch numbers more than 0.5-1% of their reported rate at best I might add.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”