Capital Ship Improvements

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Beam Weapons?

Yes
56%
No
14%
I havent played Freespace 2 so dont know..
31%

Total votes: 95

James_2k
x3

Capital Ship Improvements

Post by James_2k » Tue, 16. Mar 04, 19:59

Ok, as there are a lot of polls going around how about this one.

who wants cap ships of the emense proportions and firepower of freespace? The size is not really changable so how about this...

Who wants beam weapons?! and not the puny khaak ones either, if you have played freespace 2 you'll know ;)

Apoch
x3

Post by Apoch » Tue, 16. Mar 04, 20:05

Definitely not. I'm here to play X², not Freespace 2. If I wanted to play Freespace 2 I wouldn't be using the X² CD.
M. "Apoch" Lewis
EGOSOFT Programmer
(and Holy Prophet of Douglas Adams)

James_2k
x3

Post by James_2k » Tue, 16. Mar 04, 20:12

Specious reasoning there. it would hardly change the game into freespace. but unless you have witnessed the huge scale cap ship battles therein then you're not in a position to judge. Cap ships should be scary not just firing that blue grain at you.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Tue, 16. Mar 04, 20:24

That blue grain en masse in turrets seems scarier than a larged fixed beam weapon mounted on a ship that turns like a pig.

Since X2 has capships that are fast and can turn pretty well then and stations that are easy to kill then there isn't much point in fixed beam weapons.

Brianetta
x4

Re: Capital Ship Improvements

Post by Brianetta » Tue, 16. Mar 04, 20:31

james_2k wrote:...puny khaak ones...
You never met a Khaak capital ship, did you? Nothing puny about a Gamma Kyon Emitter. One hit will turn your M3 ship into free ions and radiation, and they can bring all eighteen to bear at once.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

James_2k
x3

Post by James_2k » Tue, 16. Mar 04, 20:33

incedentally i meant anti cap ship beams, the blue grain could remain for smaller craft. and if i was in the other cap ship, no the blue grain would not be scarier than a massive Beam cutting through my ship!

Berle
x2

Post by Berle » Tue, 16. Mar 04, 20:48

Oh, the FS2 battles. Oh, the FS2 beams! Yes, I'd love to see them in X2. I mean, I can hardly see capital ships using practically the same weapons as fighters, ie: little flying coloured blobs. Besides, there's nothing that gets the adrenaline going better than a good eeeeeeeewwwewmmmnnoommCHIIIIIIIIIIIahhhhhhhhhhh ... except a rollercoaster obviously, but there's no room for those in X2.

James_2k
x3

Post by James_2k » Tue, 16. Mar 04, 20:51

good man, nice first ever post!

Spoonburger
x3tc

Post by Spoonburger » Tue, 16. Mar 04, 21:13

Those weapons. Yes. But to even the odds a bit i think maybe making the systems drain while the big beam fires would be a good idea, otherwise when you are cruising round the beams would just swot anything anywhere aout of the sky with no change to your own ship... but seeing the beam laser cut a hole in a ship and then *pop* out of the otherside it comes. AWESOME!

darrenaqua
x2

Post by darrenaqua » Tue, 16. Mar 04, 21:46

It is about time we had some proper fire power. I am getting tired of this game. Elite 2 (let alone freespace 2) is far better and was played on pcs with less processing power than most of our phones. Bring back energy bombs and plasma accelorators . While we are at it lets have some cap ships with front firing weapons as well I hate using the turrets.

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Tue, 16. Mar 04, 22:28

Yeah, those beam weapons were awesome. Especially the shivan ones. It was also fun to be in the battle between the big shivan ship and the Colossus. Those green, red, and blue beams firing everywhere were so cool! Several times, I was just flying along in my Hercules and a HUGE red shivan beam fired right in front of me. I flew right into it, being totally enveloped and destroyed. I would love to see those activated in capital ship battles. 2 M1's face off, beams firing everywhere, giant smouldering holes in ships..SO COOL!!!!!!!!
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

James_2k
x3

Post by James_2k » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 01:58

you know it! manys the time where i flew into a beam, and the best part is that it didnt matter what you were flying; scout to bomber you were equally dead!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 02:23

You want big beam weapons? Go mod some in, it's not that hard to do. Personally, I think they're a bit pointless in X2, as most combat is with fighters and a super duper beam weapon would take all the challenge out of the game. Zzap! Dead fighter! Zzap! Dead station! Zzap! Dead M2. :roll:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Toowizard
x3

Post by Toowizard » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 02:31

cap ships are kinda silly right now. Just make sure you're not where you were heading 15 seconds ago and they'll never hit. Beam weapons would be sweet
Cargo bay open, sheilds are down
Your cargo bay now contains... Slaves.

kileran
x3

Post by kileran » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 02:34

Agree'd, i dont want freespace, i want X2

DDevil

Post by DDevil » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 02:36

The topic is OK but I thin you've missed the FORUM!
N.O.V.A.E.F. Special Forces Saboteur Leader
>NOVAEF INFO<>Official NOVAEF forum<

UGHQ_Tempus
x4

Post by UGHQ_Tempus » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 02:50

I think the capital ships are far too weak.

And fixed forward weapons should be VERY powerful. Roughly 5x what they do now. Something special and different.

But capital ships should be HUGE and their battles the stuff of legends. Give them 2-3x more offense and defense and a SUPER weapon (anti-capital ship super weapon) and then I'd be happy.
Tempus

System

Stel
x3tc

Post by Stel » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 03:51

I must admit a craving for a huge cap ship weapon that could fire an armor piercing/shield busting slug the size of a greyhound bus at near-relativistic velocities. A rail gun, or Omega Mass driver. Anyhow, something I could use to snipe ships at very long distances, say 10km or so. Just my fantasy.
Stel!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 04:46

UGHQ_Tempus wrote:I think the capital ships are far too weak.

And fixed forward weapons should be VERY powerful. Roughly 5x what they do now. Something special and different.

But capital ships should be HUGE and their battles the stuff of legends. Give them 2-3x more offense and defense and a SUPER weapon (anti-capital ship super weapon) and then I'd be happy.
You want more powerful capital ships? There's a mod available that quadruples the power of all PPCs. It makes the APPC on the Dragon useful, and makes you think twice about entering any Xenon sector without an M2 or very fast fighter. Eighteen BetaPPCs and GammaPPCs can do an awful lot of damage very quickly with this mod.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Momaw
x3tc

Post by Momaw » Wed, 17. Mar 04, 05:16

I hope it quadruples their shield strength too, then. Nothing is so sad as a game that lets equally armed ships vaporize eachother in a few seconds.

Beam weapons.... make them fire very quickly, and have excellent range, but low power. Currently capital ships only nail fighters if said fighters are being stupid and flying in straight lines. Instant-hit beams would make it far more dangerous to attack a capital ship unless you're in a capital ship of your own.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”