S.e.t.a.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Da'Nuty
x4

S.e.t.a.

Post by Da'Nuty » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 01:14

It happened to me to observe several annoyind things while flying in seta mode :

1. turrets don't fire :)
2. turrets don't fire :(
3. turrets don't fire :evil:
4. I tried to leave my game running overnight vith seta on to get loads of money and buy lots of centaurs :) but in the morning when i came back to my pc seen that my rating with several factions decreased .. not too much though ... and my status decreased from combat ace 2nd grade to ace 3rd grade and from Professional Entrepreneur I was Advanced Entrepreneur.
I only lost 6 tp ships and 9 satelites but made over 40 mil .But due to the fact that i had to start again to blast the xenon to make up for the lost rank I reloaded the game and never used "overnight seta" since.
There is no gravity. The Earth sucks.

AngryAndroid
x2

Post by AngryAndroid » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 01:17

Yup that happens whenever you leave SETA on for extended periods of time. The game punishes you in many ways for using somthing that was only intended to be used to make journeys quicker.

Wait, I can here them comming... you better run before 'they' start calling you a cheater :o j/k
Beating up on the Xenon.

wwwolf
x3ap

Post by wwwolf » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 01:22

Your decrease in rank is not like the original rank. In other words it doesn't take as much effort to get your rank back up to where it was. I've gone from an ACE to MARKSMAN before using SETA but killed an orinocco and got promoted. Killed another orinocco and got promoted again.

It was alot harder to gain the rank the first time but if you are demoted you can regain your rank in about an hour or just spend your SETA money and then set your ship to autopilot and attack all enemies.. Overnight you will have your rank back.

You really didn't have to reload.

Da'Nuty
x4

Post by Da'Nuty » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 01:36

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!
So 40 mil down the drain.
I didn't even bother trying to raise back to my former rank. Just reloaded and never used the thingy again :lol: .
Wait, I can here them comming... you better run before 'they' start calling you a cheater j/k
.... About the cheathing : R U NUTS ???? What cheat ?? Some people cannot spend that much time just playing to make money ... have something else to do . Cheating is when U use a script to add money or ships etc .

wwwolf
x3ap

Post by wwwolf » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 01:50

I have ADHT so I HAVE TO BE a S.E.T.A. master to enjoy the game before I get sick of it and shelve it.

Also a little observation: SETA inside a factory in a sector that you do not own any property but the ship you are in. Even if there is a race AI destroyer in the sector, the **** M3s will stockpile in the sector your in and will increase the chances of attacks on your ships in that sector.

Aparently Ships don't fire that often under SETA so M3s don't get destroyed before others spawn. This really only happens in the sector your in.

After 24 hours of SETA you could have 10 **** M3s in the sector. Destroy them when your ready to start playing again and you'll get promoted pretty fast.

sq_paradox
x4

Post by sq_paradox » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 01:54

Many people consider overnight SETA a cheat. I consider it "Breaing the Engine" like stealing things, selling them and buying your skills up in Morrowind. I don't do it I think it makes the game less fun... you didn't work for that money you just slept for it. Fortunently punishments were built in to discourage the use of overnight SETA (Thank You :mrgreen: ), in my opinion they are not powerful enough, close but it should take 2-3 days to regain rank not 1 that would be discourageing; But then again if i had my way no on would use overnight SETA more than once. :twisted:

JackScratch
x2

Post by JackScratch » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 01:58

Yeah it's a shame how the game actually forces you to play it. What a crazy concept. :)

Paris_Hilton

Post by Paris_Hilton » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 02:07

IMHO, abusing SETA is not cheating, because it is one of the features in the game (although, the main purpose is to shorten travelling time), therefore, it is more like exploiting the game and nothing is wrong with that.

On the other hand, it does ruin the fun of the game, because the money will come easily with minimum effort by the player.

AngryAndroid
x2

Post by AngryAndroid » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 02:09

Da'Nuty wrote:
Wait, I can here them comming... you better run before 'they' start calling you a cheater j/k
.... About the cheathing : R U NUTS ???? What cheat ?? Some people cannot spend that much time just playing to make money ... have something else to do . Cheating is when U use a script to add money or ships etc .
j/k = joke, denotes some form of humour.

Basicaly, some folks pounce on people who say they use SETA for extended periods of time. I never said it was a cheat, its just some do.

If you think SETA is your key to making lots of money and getting the best out of the game, great, go ahead and enjoy. But be warned, it does have its draw backs, thats all.
Beating up on the Xenon.

Da'Nuty
x4

Post by Da'Nuty » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 09:31

Sorry didn't want to offend anyone , but there are so many arguments about seta that I don't understand is like playing counterstrike only with the knife and default gun and consider buying an ak or m4 cheating :)

sonicfish
x3

Post by sonicfish » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 09:46

I dont think its cheating, i and alot of other people dont have the time to play 9-8 hours a day.
hmm i must spend more time on the forums then the game

Gazzareth
x2

Post by Gazzareth » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 09:52

sonicfish wrote:I dont think its cheating, i and alot of other people dont have the time to play 9-8 hours a day.
I would agree with that - I only use it whilst travelling, but it is a single player game so if you want to leave it running why not ??

mpfj
x2

Post by mpfj » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 12:30

sonicfish wrote:I dont think its cheating, i and alot of other people dont have the time to play 9-8 hours a day.
Amen to that ... I can only spend an hour per day (max !!), so I tried my first SETA-fest last night for 3 hours (at x10 = 30 hours playtime = 1 month !!)

Now my first SPP is finally making money, and I can stop scrimping and saving the pennies. It's time to go out and buy some real firepower, so I can enjoy one of the main reasons for playing ... pirate-hunting :twisted:

There's *no* way I would be able to stick with the game if I had to wait a month before my SPP started to return a profit !!

Outland3r
x2

Post by Outland3r » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 12:46

Overnight S.E.T.A isnt a cheat but its really anoying cuz enemy ships destroy your TL so i personally H8 SETA

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 13:16

Perhaps you need to protect your TL better if its getting destroyed over night. Or leave it in a different sector so it only has to deal wth ships in OOS combat.

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

Gazzareth
x2

Post by Gazzareth » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 13:20

Outland3r wrote:Overnight S.E.T.A isnt a cheat but its really anoying cuz enemy ships destroy your TL so i personally H8 SETA
Where are you leaving it - Xenon space ???

JamieKnowles
x4

Post by JamieKnowles » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 13:42

I dont SETA over night at all, cos i believe it defeats the purpose of building up your empire. Whtas the point in having 300 fabs making you money, when you can have 1 and leave seta on to generate the same amount of cash per hour.

Plus, you'll get bored with the game so much faster.

I really like the idea i read in another thread, remove SETA, and replace it with a 'super thruster'. This will increase your ships speed by a factor of 10 (same effect as speeding time up by 10), but in a straight line only, you change course and it turns the super thruster off.

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 13:49

SETA overnight is a waste of energy. OK, so it'll be off-peak, but it's burning the same amount of coal or gas at the power station, and your CPU isn't exactly idle. I take it you're not bothered whether your city is campaigning for "carbon neutral" status if you use SETA overnight?

To people who do this, I suggest scripting yourself some cash and running something productive overnight (there are many distributed computing projects, SETI@home is but one). This method ensures you don't wake up to a load of broken freighters and poor ranks, too.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

blackflame
x2

Post by blackflame » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 14:25

Quick question for the anti-SETA overnight brigade.

How long (in hours/days/weeks whatever) did it take you to get your first Destroyer?

Given the horrors of full time work, social life etc, I fall into the 'might get 3 hours in a heavy evening' game play group. Typically I might manage 10 hours in a week on X2.

I do not use scripts to add cash - that's a cheat. But I'll wander into the same path as several other people have used in this topic - does Microsoft stop making money because Bills asleep? Ok, I'm not 'playing' the game, but I built the empire that's earning the cash, I gave it instructions, placed the stations, bought the ships, had to spend a long while figuring out the game, trading to buy my first station etc. So the income is the fruits of my labour.

I dread to think how long it would have taken to get to the point of some of the parts of this game I have enjoyed the most. Taking 5 destroyers into the xenon sectors and hunting down every ship and station was great fun. But without SETA, earning the cash for that would take months, years even.

I no longer use SETA overnight because the one objective I have left is that Xenon destroyer - so now I just fight for my hour or two each evening, aiming for the combat rank needed. I dont need any more cash, my fleet is enough to play with.

I want to experience EVERYTHING a game has to offer, not just the first bit, and while I'm prepared to put effort in, I dont want to wait months or years to get there. Weeks, ok, I've done that here, before and will again. And Im not done yet.

So back to the original question - how many hours playing, without SETA, for 1 destroyer?
Fleet : 1 M1, 10 M2, 160 M3, 52 M6, 1 TL
Stations : 134
and some other stuff somewhere...

Gazzareth
x2

Post by Gazzareth » Thu, 8. Apr 04, 14:35

JamieKnowles wrote:I really like the idea i read in another thread, remove SETA, and replace it with a 'super thruster'. This will increase your ships speed by a factor of 10 (same effect as speeding time up by 10), but in a straight line only, you change course and it turns the super thruster off.
Imagine trying to intercept Pirates then !! Ouch.....

... actually I have started using SETA since I switched to a "slow" ship (Osprey) ... nice to finish a round of captures off and notice that I have about 4 mil in the factories !!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”