Playing a theme...

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Darshu
x3

Playing a theme...

Post by Darshu » Mon, 7. Jun 04, 03:58

We all know the main character is Julian the Argon. Bleh.

The Argon ships as a rule, suck, except for the Nova, which is slow.

Does anyone here play their game taking only ships of a specific race, such as Split or Paranid?

I'd imagine it might be interesting to see the effects of picking and sticking to only one race's ships throughout the game.

So anyone tried this?

Jawbreaker
x4

Post by Jawbreaker » Mon, 7. Jun 04, 04:07

Hmm, never even crossed my mind. Just goes to show you how little imagination I have :D

You are right though, it would be just one more way to play the game. Right now my current "Theme" is is to see just how few ships overall that I can keep from losing, transports especially.

That is one of the many facets of this game I admire, the ability to try many different philosphies with each new restart.
de oppresso liber

samalapan
x3tc

Post by samalapan » Mon, 7. Jun 04, 04:23

Not me. I have a host of ships from each race, to suit my particular needs. Though I have complete set of Split ships from the TL, TS, M3, M4, M5, M6 series. I like fast ships. Different strategy when you're using them ships. I have all the M6 ships except for the Boron M6. (It looks like a fish out of water) :lol:

DDevil

Post by DDevil » Mon, 7. Jun 04, 07:38

I remember when I started playing X2 and only a few weks after I had in my possesion a pirate, Argon, Boron, Split, Paranid, Teladi and even a Goner ship.

As months passed I realised I was buying more ships from one race than the others. Ofcourse depending which class of ship it was.

Fighters, I have mostly Novas, then Barracudas (10%) and then Perseus and Mambas(5%)
Light fighters, mostly Scorpions then the Makos(15%)

Scouts, a bit of each race's but mainly Pegasus'

Carriers, all.

Destroyers, Ody (30%), Ray(25%), Titan(20%), Phyton(15%) and Phoenix(10%)

Corvettes, Centaur(50%), Dragon(40%) and Nemesis(10%) *and don't ask me why I don't use the stupid osprey*

TL's, all.

In balance, I use 25% Paranid ships (kind of remind me on Klingons :D ), 23% Argon (patheticly balanced Federation :roll: ), 20% Split (they are not as the greedy Teladi and like to split their amout of missiles with others :twisted: ), 17% Boron (look fishy, but like a nice fish indeed), 10% Teladi (no comment) and the remaining 5% loses somewhere in Pirate, Xenon and a few Goner ships :P
N.O.V.A.E.F. Special Forces Saboteur Leader
>NOVAEF INFO<>Official NOVAEF forum<

3iff
x2

Post by 3iff » Mon, 7. Jun 04, 09:21

I've played two themes so far.

Firstly, just mining asteroids. Just 1 factory for docking rights, no trading and no combat (intentional combat that is...). I played 5 games days having proved my point about being able to make it pay.

Secondly, a pirate/mercenary. No factories or trading and only buying ships I can't capture. It's hard work going from Disco to Orinoco but I have managed it. I'm now the owner of an Elephant and Osprey with 14 million in the bank. Combat rating of Combat Ace 3rd (is that right?) slowly fighting my way to Ace of Aces - only trouble is I switch from killing enery ships to trying to capture them, even though I need the rank rather than the cash! I'm about 5 game days in and I'm killing every pirate and pirate base I can find. I'll have to get back to the Xenon soon.

Paris_Hilton

Post by Paris_Hilton » Mon, 7. Jun 04, 11:36

I feel connected wif Argon bcoz I though they look almost perfectly the same wif me :o Am I the true ancestor of their race? :gruebel:

Surprisingly, most of my freighters are Boron ships (50% of them), not bcoz I primarily use Mantas as my trading vessel, but most of my factories are Boron's and I tend to use race-specific freighters for their factories (Mantas and Dolphins for Boron factories, Express and Mercury for Argon factories, etc). It can be said that my trading empire is Boron-themed

On my previous game, my battle fleet consisted of ships from Argon, Boron, Teladi and Split. But if I could only pick one race, I'd choose Argon ships because their designs are more realistic than other races. Even most of my patrol corvettes were Centaur and the proud flagship of my battle fleet was Argon Titan. So you can see that my military is Argon-themed

Warpedshark
x2

Post by Warpedshark » Mon, 7. Jun 04, 11:44

Going through a list of the ships that i have used as personal ships:
Argon Discovery
Argon Mercury
Argon Nova
Paranid Hurcules
Paranid Nemesis

After buying some more centaurs for OOSD i plan to get an Odi, thus confirming my paranid stage in the game. Oh and i plan to get a Perseus for tooling about in aswell as i have never flown in one before.

However when it comes to M1 i think i will pick the condor over the zeus just on looks.
Attention all planets of the Solar Federation.
We have assumed control.
We have assumed control.
We have assumed control.

canazza
x4

Post by canazza » Mon, 7. Jun 04, 11:57

TP - Boron (may have to change in 1.4)
TS - Argon (for stations) and Paranid (for mining)
M6 - Teladi (for downright murder) and Split (for fun)
M5 - Teladi
M4 - Pirate
M3 - Argon
M2/M1/TL - not got one yet
--==Dave Canazza==--
Far Star: Terran Sabre (M4)

Monde
x2

Post by Monde » Mon, 7. Jun 04, 14:19

My Theme is pretty much only good looking ships. OR at least different looking ships.

At the moment I am all Boron. Octopus, Dolphin and Manta. With a Boron SPP thrown in.

I love my Octopus even though it's guns and cargo suck.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”