A little Khaaks capturing guide

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Tue, 27. Jul 04, 00:34

Brodie wrote:Er, what are you on about mate, Trust me on this, and if you cant then listen to everyone else: AS SOON AS THE KHAAK STATS ARE BOUGHT IT IS NO LONGER POSSIBLE TO CAP KHAAKS, I and lots of other people have tried over and over and over again. It doesn't matter if you get over CA 2 THEY STILL CANT BE CAPTURED!
Trust me on this. I HAVE BOUGHT THE SPECS, and I have captured 3 KM3. You just need a higher rank in order to have better likelihood of capturing. That's what the devs has intended. Capture a Khaak before buying the specs at any combat rank is a bug not intended by the devs. That's how I read it, but I am not complaining that Joe Blow can capture at Commodore, while I have to be AoA2 before getting my first Khaak Fighter. (Actually my 6 year old captured a Khaak Fighter before I do, and he spent less time on X2 than I do, but still no complaint from me: I have played the way the devs intended it to be).

Brodie
x4

Post by Brodie » Tue, 27. Jul 04, 00:46

VincentTH Wrote:
Trust me on this. I HAVE BOUGHT THE SPECS, and I have captured 3 KM3. You just need a higher rank in order to have better likelihood of capturing. That's what the devs has intended. Capture a Khaak before buying the specs at any combat rank is a bug not intended by the devs. That's how I read it, but I am not complaining that Joe Blow can capture at Commodore, while I have to be AoA2 before getting my first Khaak Fighter. (Actually my 6 year old captured a Khaak Fighter before I do, and he spent less time on X2 than I do, but still no complaint from me: I have played the way the devs intended it to be).
So its Ace of Ace 2, not Combat Ace level 2???????

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Tue, 27. Jul 04, 01:13

I dunno, I only speak from my own experience. At AoA3rd, I had 1 KM3 (killed it instantly, but it still count as 1 capture), 5 KM4, and 12 KM5s captured. The frequency of capture seemed to increase tremendously once I reached AoA2nd.
I upgraded to v1.4 at AoA3rd 30%, so I don't know what happened at earlier rank.

johnstrt
x3

Post by johnstrt » Tue, 27. Jul 04, 03:51

Brodie wrote:VincentTH Said:
Brodie wrote:
Yeah but it's just being made to the way it was intended to be.

Well, just think that you have played it "the correct way" as the devs intended it.
Otherwise, you are acting like the biblical garden worker who complained that those coming to work after he does, get paid the same amount he got paid.
Er, what are you on about mate, Trust me on this, and if you cant then listen to everyone else: AS SOON AS THE KHAAK STATS ARE BOUGHT IT IS NO LONGER POSSIBLE TO CAP KHAAKS, I and lots of other people have tried over and over and over again. It doesn't matter if you get over CA 2 THEY STILL CANT BE CAPTURED!

Now it has been officially released that this is a bug and it shouldnt be like this, in fact it should have been the opposite (after COA 2 not before) "Khaak ships will be capturable for advanced players"
All i was saying is that it should be put back to the way it was meant to be!!
I'd be very happy to trust you on this, but I've had the stats for a long time, my rank is over CA2, and I have been able to capture Khaak. Something is perhaps a bit odd: I've never got one in the Khaak sectors (1.3 spawns?), and some I've tried have absolutely refused to give up, but I've had about 20 M5s and half a dozen M3s so far. Now, if I could only cap more lasers ...

Can you give a link for the official announcement that there's a bug, please? I'd be interested to see what they say.

number6
x2

Post by number6 » Tue, 27. Jul 04, 05:43

AFAIK this is as 'official' as it gets http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtop ... 1&start=12

Still no official word on which way it should have been, though best guess is probably no capping until Combat Ace 2nd Grade, which is what I believe another mod posted, regardless of buying the info. Most reports seem to indicate that there is not an appreciable capture rate until Ace of Aces 3rd Grade, and even then its fairly slow.

Edit - here is the level info post http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtop ... ht=#632935
Be seeing you...

Feersum
x3tc

Post by Feersum » Tue, 27. Jul 04, 08:19

Damn! I spent 5 hours of REAL time in Khaak sectors last night with my Ody. My combat rank went up with 20% - I'm Combat ace 1st grade. Not a single capture!
Today I'll refit my Titan with mass drivers and IonDs and try again. Will post later on progress.
Comin' in on a wing and a prayer
Though there's one motor gone
We can still carry on

Eric the Viking
x3tc

Post by Eric the Viking » Tue, 27. Jul 04, 09:01

Holliday wrote:Man, talk about intentional obfuscation.
Speaking of which :roll:

grays
x3tc

Post by grays » Tue, 27. Jul 04, 09:09

I'm CA1 and have trashed hundreds of M3 in attempts to cap with no luck yet.

Dont think CA2 is going to solve this problem

Feersum
x3tc

Post by Feersum » Tue, 27. Jul 04, 09:09

Eric the Viking wrote:
Holliday wrote:Man, talk about intentional obfuscation.
Speaking of which :roll:
Obfuscation? *fetches dictionary*... oh, I get it :D
We can still carry on

Eric the Viking
x3tc

Post by Eric the Viking » Tue, 27. Jul 04, 09:26

Help!

Why is it, whenever I capture a KM3, in PE or Great Trench, I immediately have the nearest local Boron ships go hostile and destroy my capture?

They don't attack me, just the KM3, and then continue on their way, pretending I don't exsist.

This is very annoying. I shall have to try and see if it happens with other races.

Cheers,

Eric

johnstrt
x3

Post by johnstrt » Tue, 27. Jul 04, 11:37

number6 wrote:AFAIK this is as 'official' as it gets http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtop ... 1&start=12

Still no official word on which way it should have been, though best guess is probably no capping until Combat Ace 2nd Grade, which is what I believe another mod posted, regardless of buying the info. Most reports seem to indicate that there is not an appreciable capture rate until Ace of Aces 3rd Grade, and even then its fairly slow.

Edit - here is the level info post http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtop ... ht=#632935
Thanks a lot for this. I cannot tell you when capping starts to work after buying the specs, but Brodie is being too pessimistic: it does happen when your rank is high enough - I can vouch for that. Now I'd just like to know what's going on with M6s ...

Feersum
x3tc

Post by Feersum » Tue, 27. Jul 04, 14:00

My experience so far:
Current ranking: Combat Ace 1st grade, 25%.

Ody with any PSG combo: no luck.
Titan with Mass drivers, Ionds and Psgs: no luck.
Ray with PPCs and Ionds: no luck.
Perseus with aHEPTS and PSGs: no luck. I die too often, by the way.

Nemesis with PSGs: not tried yet.

Combat ranking gained: 18%. Blah.
We can still carry on

number6
x2

Post by number6 » Tue, 27. Jul 04, 14:41

Yeah, I think you won't really start seeing anything until the Ace of Ace grades. And even then someone posted (Circumcisor I believe) that he only got a handfull at AoA 3rd, but then as soon as he hit AoA 2nd it got noticably better.

Let me know how your continued attempts go. I've got a way to go regardless, being at 47% Ace 1st Grade.

BTW, how does the Ray stand up in the Khaak sectors now? Can you go toe to toe with a Khaak M2? Almost have enough for one of these. Might help the rank rise a little faster.
Be seeing you...

Circumcisor
x2

Post by Circumcisor » Tue, 27. Jul 04, 14:44

I have two games on the go at the moment.

In the first, it's a game I started in 1.3. I'm ranked as per my sig. I have the Khaak data, and I can capture Khaak. It's not very often though, and I have yet to get an M3 without blowing it up accidentally.

In the second, it's a restart from fresh with 1.4. I could easily capture Khaak at Commodore before getting the data, and I can get almost every one I try to, with two or three re-loads.

All I can suggest is that if you're playing a game started in 1.3, get your combat rank up a lot higher to around CA1st / AoA. If you're playing a new 1.4 game, or if you plan to start a new one, just follow the guide using PSG's or mass driver / Ion combo and you should have success fairly early on.

I'm assuming that getting Khaak to bail before the data is not planned. If you are desperate to try flying a KM3, I would start a new game and get your rank up before a script / fix comes out. You could be flying one in a few days. They are great fun to fly.

If it helps anyone decide what to do, I will say that I definitely do not regret dropping my main game and starting again.
If at first you don't succeed - better not try parachuting

Professional Magnate
Ace of Aces 1st Grade
[ external image ][ external image ]

Adonne
x2

Post by Adonne » Tue, 27. Jul 04, 16:10

number6 wrote:
BTW, how does the Ray stand up in the Khaak sectors now? Can you go toe to toe with a Khaak M2? Almost have enough for one of these. Might help the rank rise a little faster.
going to try this theory in a few minutes when my wife goes to work. bought onre last night after compleating my first invasion mission

yippee i found one i found one (70 Mil profit)
Spoiler
Show
blueish snout for an invasion of menalaus Paradise
now have a Ray with 12 ions gppc/bppc combo will let you now the results

the Oddy is the best so far for Khaak annihalation
Advanced Magnate
Ace of Ace 3rd

Feersum
x3tc

Post by Feersum » Wed, 28. Jul 04, 07:17

number6 wrote:Yeah, I think you won't really start seeing anything until the Ace of Ace grades. And even then someone posted (Circumcisor I believe) that he only got a handfull at AoA 3rd, but then as soon as he hit AoA 2nd it got noticably better.

Let me know how your continued attempts go. I've got a way to go regardless, being at 47% Ace 1st Grade.

Ray does pretty good. I kill M1s with relative ease, but M2s deal way too much damage. I simply can't kill a khaak M2 fast enough to survive. Otherwise, no problem with any amount of M3s, M4s and M5s.
We can still carry on

cylmax
x3tc

Post by cylmax » Wed, 28. Jul 04, 14:27

Circumcisor wrote:I have two games on the go at the moment.

All I can suggest is that if you're playing a game started in 1.3, get your combat rank up a lot higher to around CA1st / AoA. If you're playing a new 1.4 game, or if you plan to start a new one, just follow the guide using PSG's or mass driver / Ion combo and you should have success fairly early on.
I'm not sure that this is the case.

I am using an old 1.3 game converted to 1.4 and I managed my first KM3 capture last night. My combat rank was at Commodore, having just been relegated from Vice Admiral.

However, I haven't bought the Khaak specs, so maybe that's why I was able to dust the purple pirate.

If anyone's interested I was using a Perseus with 3xAHEPTS. It literally took less than a minute from first shot to bail. I spotted the lone M3 getting a bit of attention from a bunch of fighter drones (presumably from a recent dogfight) and I just joined in.

This was my first Khaak capture of any kind and I was rather peeved to see it toasted by a fighter drone that had gone red, probably from a stray AHEPT bolt of my own. The hull would only have been around 20% so I didn't lose too much.

Circumcisor
x2

Post by Circumcisor » Wed, 28. Jul 04, 14:40

I wrote: All I can suggest is that if you're playing a game started in 1.3, get your combat rank up a lot higher to around CA1st / AoA. If you're playing a new 1.4 game, or if you plan to start a new one, just follow the guide using PSG's or mass driver / Ion combo and you should have success fairly early on.
That's not a very good paragraph. What I meant was, if you started in 1.3 and have the Khaak data get your combat rank higher. Otherwise, start fresh from 1.4 before the data and you'll get loads.
If at first you don't succeed - better not try parachuting

Professional Magnate
Ace of Aces 1st Grade
[ external image ][ external image ]

cylmax
x3tc

Post by cylmax » Wed, 28. Jul 04, 14:53

Apologies, I wasn't sure if you meant with the Khaak data or not.

Is it me or is there still no definitive way to capture any craft in 1.4, unlike the 87% hull + IOD trick in 1.3?

My capture of pirates is still very random.

M.

Hardrider
x3tc

Post by Hardrider » Wed, 28. Jul 04, 14:59

May I help?

I'm playing the german version and have bought the Khaak info a couple of weeks ago.

My first Khaak (patch 1.4 installed) bailed when I had the rank: Ass Klasse 1
I think in the english version this is: Ace of Aces 3rd grade.
Es geht auch freundlich !!!
Wer recht hat, muss nicht schreien !!!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”