The next game: X2 - The Return (with Interview!)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 02:28

The_Abyss wrote:This update gives an insight into what is coming and what is possible.
Early days only.

I'm sure that more will become clear later on, but as always, some will have to be left to discover for yourselves. The X-Universe is about discovery.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 03:27

The_Abyss wrote:I think it's clear that converting an existing savegame and finishing the plot will make a whole host of news things avaiable that would not otherwise be there.
I would think that converting existing savegames need not limit the expansion very much. After all, not all of the saved game has to be converted. If it only brought forward the list of Stations and Ships owned that might be satisfactory.

I would rather that it limit the save game instead of limiting the expansion. :D
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

Tanall
x4

Post by Tanall » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 04:04

Great, first Dangerous Waters, now this. Uncle Sucker better give me my raise early, or come the end of this year my check'll vanish so fast it'll make yer head spin.

brohawk
x3

Post by brohawk » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 04:06

I really like the super stations idea, that is just plain good thinking there.

One thing that concerned me was a US version or the implied lack thereof. Please assuage my fears on that reality!!! :?:

Other than that, I love X2. Definitely the best space sim I have played since Wing Commander series and it tops that even.

Kolohe
x4

Vote Bernd!

Post by Kolohe » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 04:42

Vote Kerry??!! Are you crazy? VOTE BERND!!!! :D

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 05:05

TUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will there be a scrapyard as well?
If so where may I worship the devs?
And when is worship convenient?
Seriously tho, thankyou. Buying Egosoft products is the best software purchases I have ever made. Its the 30 something pounds that keeps on giving!
MASSIVE respect.

GoateeCat
x2

Post by GoateeCat » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 05:16

I know this puts me down with the worst sort of bottom feeding credit sucklers, but...
Bernd wrote:Players can now connect their stations using tunnel like modules. This way they can form a so called “Complex”. This saves a lot of the cost normally spend on transportation.
That was one of my ideas long ago when someone asked about enhancments for factories, back before X2 was even out.

No no, it's ok Egosoft, you don't have to pay me royalties or anything, I'll let you get away with it this time.

:P

Duriel_LOP
x4

Post by Duriel_LOP » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 08:17

first of all, id like to say, EGOSOFT is the BEST DEVELOPER I HAVE SEEN IN A LONG TIME! :P sorry for caps, but its worthy of it :D :P

I can only hope a few of those collectors editions reach Australian shores :P Even if i end up getting another X2 disc along with my expansion disc, itd be worth it for anything extra :P :D

those Khaak destroyers look alot kooler now, with all the purple stuff around the edges of the hexagons.

my guess on the first ingame screenie is that it is the inside of a mining station, and the second one hmmm

well it shows 2 ships on the gravidar, one is the one from which the screenie was taken and the other is a ship, but, the asteroid is behind that big object, which leads me to conclude that the only possible idea is that the screeenie was taken either by F3, or F2 view mode. Therefore that large object is definetly a ship of some kind. obviously not a small ship by any odds. Mebbe a mothership class, :D :P

it would most definetly be cool to centralise all ur mining operations into one large area, My Aladna Hill system needs a bit of a cleaning up, heheheh
HAR HAR HAR, It be here!!!!

"There shall be wings! If the accomplishment be not for me, 'tis for some other. The spirit cannot die; and man, who shall know all and shall have wings..." - Leonardo da Vinci

Graphil
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x3tc

Post by Graphil » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 09:00

First to follow on the save game compatability comments. It seems that when v1.4 came out a lot of people did restart from scratch. I would think that this will be the case for the expansion. So I would think it is a nice to have but not essential.

Onto my actual question. The game will include an improved physics model. Anyone know what this actually means? I dread to think what this could be. If it is moving to real space physics then please maintain an option to continue flight like it is now.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 09:00

brohawk wrote: One thing that concerned me was a US version or the implied lack thereof. Please assuage my fears on that reality!!! :?:
The implication was that the US version would not be available for sale directly from Egosoft, not that there would not be a US version.

Post by Guest » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 09:01

re the station interior preview.

I have watched this small snipet several times. To me it seems that there are computer displays all over the place (similar to cockpits). This begs the question - was the view externalised from a cockpit, from an externalised view from a spacewalk, or can you actually enter and walk around parts of a station?

Whatever it may be, a good interior and thanks for the preview.

Post by Guest » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 09:05

graphil wrote: Onto my actual question. The game will include an improved physics model. Anyone know what this actually means? I dread to think what this could be. If it is moving to real space physics then please maintain an option to continue flight like it is now.
I agree. I hated the real physics model in Frontier et al. I play X because it is fun. Admittedly the current physics model is simplistic but not everyone is all for the idea of Newtonian physics.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 09:47

thrangar wrote::o

At last!

ok now the really important question...can we move gates with the tugs?

Cheers/Thrangar
I want to know if you can tug stations through jump gates. . . Ooo or move high yeild roids around!! Oh the possibilities!
Bet the tugs will cost a fortune though!

All in all well done Egosoft,
This looks a much more extensive updtae than I for one was expecting, I was expecting the extension to be like a slightly extended story line and maybe few more ships as you normally get in a game expansion. . . with the really new stuff saved for X3.
But No. . . this looks great, I like evryone else would love to know more. . . but then that would kill the fun of waiting to find out wouldn't it

If I ever meet any of the team they can have a drink on me too!! :)
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Pinger
x2

Post by Pinger » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 09:57

Duriel_LOP wrote:well it shows 2 ships on the gravidar, one is the one from which the screenie was taken and the other is a ship, but, the asteroid is behind that big object, which leads me to conclude that the only possible idea is that the screeenie was taken either by F3, or F2 view mode. Therefore that large object is definetly a ship of some kind. obviously not a small ship by any odds. Mebbe a mothership class, :D :P
hmm ditto to that if you meant the last pic. It does have a shield and full hull going by the bottom hud. But no engines some say, I say Look closer, think of the Pirate TS and then you'll see them.

The 2 pods in its design if anything look like docking bays for M6's, but having closed bays so would guess a Paranid M0 down to its skin and design.

Thalass
x2

Post by Thalass » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 09:59

Awesome. I can't wait, Bernd. Though I will be patient. :P

Now... to start playing again. :P
GoateeCat wrote:I know this puts me down with the worst sort of bottom feeding credit sucklers, but...
Bernd wrote:Players can now connect their stations using tunnel like modules. This way they can form a so called “Complex”. This saves a lot of the cost normally spend on transportation.
That was one of my ideas long ago when someone asked about enhancments for factories, back before X2 was even out.

No no, it's ok Egosoft, you don't have to pay me royalties or anything, I'll let you get away with it this time.

:P
They prolly have a large list of all the plausable suggestions which they pick from at random or by how nifty they are or whatever. I'm pretty sure one or two of the ideas that I suggested are in there. Though I prolly wasn't the only one who did so. hehe
Legitimate Businessman. Honest.

Tare69
x3

Post by Tare69 » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 10:02

That video did't work...

Nice.... :-) Only thig is that you start over again the game from start... Dammed... :-)
ASRock 939DualSata2+AM2CPU, X2 4800+, 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz, ATI X850XT 256MB, 2.6TB HD, DVD LG 4162 SM, SB Live Value, Hitachi CM769ET 20", Cyborg Evo, Logitech G15, XP Home+SP3 = X2 Res:1024x768*32/BM=On/RS=ON framerate: 66.857 fps

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 10:16

Tare69 wrote:Nice.... :-) Only thig is that you start over again the game from start... Dammed... :-)
Why do you say that? The interview specifically indicates that savegames should be compatible.

Tare69
x3

Post by Tare69 » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 10:29

Allways when I have bought some game extension I have start again :P ... It's my luck... (I did't read that first but that thing went by my eays when I did read it, sorry :roll: ...)

But that video did't work in my computer... Only some fragments on top but nothing else... Is there some unknow (enemy) codec in it or something?
ASRock 939DualSata2+AM2CPU, X2 4800+, 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz, ATI X850XT 256MB, 2.6TB HD, DVD LG 4162 SM, SB Live Value, Hitachi CM769ET 20", Cyborg Evo, Logitech G15, XP Home+SP3 = X2 Res:1024x768*32/BM=On/RS=ON framerate: 66.857 fps

XU Vagabond
x3tc

Post by XU Vagabond » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 10:37

go to google and tyype in dvix and download the basic codec pack since it incoded with dvix

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 10:47

You won't get far with "dvix", the codec you are looking for is "DivX". ;)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”