The next game: X2 - The Return (with Interview!)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Graphil
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x3tc

Post by Graphil » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 14:37

You have got us all drooling. Can't wait.
Will the cut scenes graphical quality be up to the level of the artwork on the first page?

EventHorizon
x4

Post by EventHorizon » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 14:46

Avatar wrote:maybe the fact that this time around we got a professional screenwriter with experience in writing for movies and tv shows is something that could be called an assurance.

That combined with us learning from our past mistakes ;)
Avatar, that's all I needed to here! Now I really AM looking forward to "The Return". :D :D :D

Any need for any beta testers (yes, I know it is too early). However, I am an expirenced software developer myself and I have a knack for finding bugs/issues. Of course, I know egosoft get too choose who gets chosen for testing etc, but I would be very interested in "applying".

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 14:47

I hope the story might have 2 endings, one good, one bad. I hope the story is twice as long as the one in x2 was very small in the amount of missions there were. Mainly at least 15 unique story missions, that can weave in and out of the main story line, like 12/3 are plot related and the other 2/3 are not plot related and more discovery based or somit and split into Character/story/saving the universe/friendship or love.

Just babling on :)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 14:48

EventHorizon wrote:Any need for any beta testers (yes, I know it is too early). However, I am an expirenced software developer myself and I have a knack for finding bugs/issues. Of course, I know egosoft get too choose who gets chosen for testing etc, but I would be very interested in "applying".
If you want to help with the development then sign up for DevNet, and print out and send in an NDA. Remember that testing is work, not a chance to get to play the game before everyone else, so please don't apply unless you are prepared to commit some time to a testing schedule.

Texas
x3

Post by Texas » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 14:52

Just thought I'd put my two peeny'th worth in.

I'd suggest hidden sectors that aren't obvious on the galactic map.

Once I'd grabbed a Jump drive and decided to find all the sectors it was as simple as looking for where sectors were!

Also maybe if there is another gate shift 'read the bbs's' make it more unlimited. More races could concivably be added and therefore new BBS missions such as 1st contact, and claiming of systems for the player!
Professionals are predictable.
It's the amateurs that are dangerous!

fchopin
x3

Post by fchopin » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 15:04

CBJ wrote:If you want to help with the development then sign up for DevNet, and print out and send in an NDA. Remember that testing is work, not a chance to get to play the game before everyone else, so please don't apply unless you are prepared to commit some time to a testing schedule.
What is considered a good amount of time?
Is one or two hours a day enough?
When there are no more games it is time for music.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 15:22

One or two hours a day is plenty. Not many people can afford more than that. :)

smiley
x3tc

Post by smiley » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 15:40

Looks great. I'm drooling on my keyboard already.

My only gripe is the non-existant difficulty levels. I would like to have the Xtreme setting actually mean something.

Other than that, keep up the good work.

:) Smiley :)

And the reason I haven't asked any questions about it is because I don't want to know everything about the game before I buy the damn thing. Come on guys leave something to be explored.
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs . . . you'll be taller than them.

Quetz
x3

Post by Quetz » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 16:29

The Return of what i wonder? A return to earth seems unlikely but possible. The return of the Khaak is most likely, but what about the Xenon coming back into power...or maybe the Ancients are returning...

And is it just me or does the swivelling thing in the station interior avi look remarkably like a large docking bay?

Anyway. Thanks alot Egodudes, this is the best news ive heard all week :D

Quetz

Tecnofreak
x3

Post by Tecnofreak » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 16:34

After careful analysis of the second screenshot of the large object I can say

ASDA-80

is Argon, not a mother ship as 'SD' would be M0 (most likely), and appears to be a structure.

I'm off to play X2 to find any reference to SD.

It is odd that th name isn't actually long enough though... perhaps simply 'S' is what I'm looking for as DA is a common ending.
Sometimes a smile is all it takes to cheer a person. A hug does ten times more. But a laugh... that can change the world...

papa_g
x3

Post by papa_g » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 16:43

I dont believe it

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?searcht ... age=search

They seem to have a price and everything, this would sujest to me that the dev team are on time and that they are going to meet their deadline. I think the x games are going to dominate the games market next year, and egosoft will take over the world with their goners spreading the good news :o

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 16:54

http://play.com/play247.asp?searchtype= ... age=search

wonder how many times that has changed!

they put their best estimate of release date on but that doesn't mean they'll stick to it.

for instance, the last interview we had put the X2 expansion date at around Christmas at the earliest, now it's Q12005 at the earliest... they can only estimate

Miklatov
x2

Post by Miklatov » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 17:22

Do all Argon ships begin with AS? If not..

ASDA = Argon Star Destroyer A :p

Would be nice :lol:
Mogul 94%
CA 1st Grade 43%
M1 0 M5 4
M2 3 M6 5
M3 ~10 TS Loads
M4 1 TL 2
Factories: 22xGPPC, 2xBPPC, 1xAPPC, 1x125MW, 1x25MW, 1xAmmo & 2xSpaceweed loops
Credits: 22 Million
Caps: 3 Dragon (2 destroyed), 1 Osprey

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 17:42

wahey! time to start selling my clothes again! :lol:

thanks guys, both Abyss and Bernd! :D :thumb_up: 8)

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 18:29

fchopin wrote:
What is considered a good amount of time?
Is one or two hours a day enough?
To put an non Moderator (political) slant on his.

Time is irrevelvant here

Many people have signed up for the devnet, many people have dissapeared as soon as they did so.

Some offer input by scrutinising a certain element or getting the extra NDA info to write scripts/KC for the community.

But the bottom line is that well over 50% of people who were made lev 5 posters seem never to have offered any feedback ever thus doing this for their own selfish gains only.

If you want to beta test then you should remember that your computer will be used a sacrificial lamb and your desktop and PC freezes (needing power off restart) will be a common occurence.

You will spend hours doing the same thing over and over again in order to track a problem.

You will probably never play x2 in a normal way again

You will have to restart every time a hotfix is posted

And you will despise cutscenes with a passion (watch the goner temple all the way through 30 times for enlightenment)
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 18:30

far too early but i'll ask anyway, what kinda of changes will this have on the specs.
if you can give me some specs i'll be happy since i have till feb 2005 to get a lean, mean X2: The Return playing machine.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 18:36

Tecnofreak wrote:After careful analysis of the second screenshot of the large object I can say

ASDA-80

is Argon, not a mother ship as 'SD' would be M0 (most likely), and appears to be a structure.

I'm off to play X2 to find any reference to SD.

It is odd that th name isn't actually long enough though... perhaps simply 'S' is what I'm looking for as DA is a common ending.
The speculation about this is entertaining but ultimately not getting far. If you look in your current game you will see that ASDA-80 is clearly an asteroid ID, so the screenshot must have been taken with an asteroid as the current target rather than whatever is in the picture.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 18:38

they probly did that just too confuse us poor simple minded people.

:lol: cool

gsl
x2

Post by gsl » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 18:43

...and if you look closer at the gravidar, you can see that that asteroid is highlighted, which indicates that it is the current target :wink:
#include <funnysig>

Merroc
x3tc

Post by Merroc » Fri, 20. Aug 04, 18:43

i hope its a M0, the 'real' flagship.... or something like that.

(maybe its the m3 shown in the ID of the ship hes flying...)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”