Warped into the X Universe

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

nitebot
x3

Warped into the X Universe

Post by nitebot » Tue, 28. Sep 04, 22:57

Hi folks

After exploring the universes of Earth and Beyond (sadly defunct) and Eve Online (strangely low key), I've joined the X Universe thanks to an HMV sale and £12.99 price.

I just need to learn one thing - how to shoot straight. I'm having real trouble targetting and hitting enemy ships in the pilot tutorial.

Is it me or am I missing something?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 28. Sep 04, 23:04

The 'laser bullets' are really slow in X2. To ease matters, when you get into the game proper, buy the Fight Command software I & II. These give you aiming reticules and help you aim. Not having played the tutorials, I don't know if they're installed on the ships you fly. To find out, press the 'K' key. This is a 3-way toggle. You should notice 1 or 2 blue tick marks at the bottom of the large central aiming circle in the HUD. No ticks means totally manual aiming. One tick gives you an aiming circle that you can follow. Two ticks causes your laser fire to automatically lead the target as long as the reticule is near the small circle. Hope that helps. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

yorkman
x2

Post by yorkman » Tue, 28. Sep 04, 23:04

Use the targeting box in front of the ship u are aiming at it will turn blue when in range, just like real life you can't shoot at where it is u have to shoot at where it will be its a moving target.

nitebot
x3

Post by nitebot » Wed, 29. Sep 04, 01:25

Ok, thanks for the tips guys. I'll try to get more up to speed.
Nitebot!

misterSpikes
x3

Re: Warped into the X Universe

Post by misterSpikes » Wed, 29. Sep 04, 17:48

nitebot wrote: Is it me or am I missing something?
Yes. Everything by the sound of things. :D

Sorry, just being a smart arse; couldn't resist it. Do what Nanook and yorkman said and you'll be ok. Welcome to the boards.
Y'all know what the chain o' command is? It's the chain I'ma go git an' beat you with 'til you realise I'm in charge here!!!

nitebot
x3

Re: Warped into the X Universe

Post by nitebot » Wed, 29. Sep 04, 20:42

misterSpikes wrote:
nitebot wrote: Is it me or am I missing something?
Yes. Everything by the sound of things. :D

Sorry, just being a smart arse; couldn't resist it. Do what Nanook and yorkman said and you'll be ok. Welcome to the boards.
Guess I asked for it! :)

Anyway thanks for the welcome!
Nitebot!

CGrand
x2

Post by CGrand » Thu, 30. Sep 04, 18:07

at least you asked

took me bloody ages to work this one out, i actually got the hang of manual fireing for a lot of my capturing work, i.e. learning how to much deflection the cross hair and the target represent

catch being this only works for one gun at a time
CGrand
Novas caught - 141
Rank - NST Squad Leader

AMG - Mission Expert &
Premier AMG Client

Commander of the Royal Mining Company

I’m writing all the right letters just not, necessarily in the right order – Morcam & wise

Chizel
x3tc

Post by Chizel » Thu, 30. Sep 04, 18:22

Make sure you upgrade your X2 software if you haven't already. The first version (or two) did have some Joystick / handling problems that made the aiming a bit difficult.

The second thing is that the ships don't fly too well "right out of the box". You gotta spend some money on them. And the "rudder control".... there is a such thing as too much of a good thing. Take that up slowly with testing. Software limitations don't allow you to "un-rudder control".

I don't remember if the training ships were kit'd well. Seems like I remember them not flying too smooth, but then that was back on version 1.0.

Practice... practice.

nitebot
x3

Post by nitebot » Thu, 30. Sep 04, 23:31

I had to abandon the comabt pilot training as I just wasn't getting anywhere.

I decided to start the game proper and I'm running those early delivery missions.

One question though, why do those pirates who wander by not fire at me?

Is it an easy ride at first?
Nitebot!

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Thu, 30. Sep 04, 23:34

Because they have better places to be, bigger fish to fry. Wait 'til you get a few factories, then they become more of an annoyance.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Lord_Darkstar
x2

Post by Lord_Darkstar » Thu, 30. Sep 04, 23:46

Because they don't want any trouble. And you might yell for your big brother or sister to come help you. :wink:

ajsarge
x3tc

Post by ajsarge » Fri, 1. Oct 04, 04:21

Sorry if I'm late, but welcome to the X-universe. Just how much has E&B changed since the Beta ended? (I was in the Beta :D ) Oh, trading in the game is much different from E&B. It is factory to factory and trading missions only pretty much. Although you can still mine 'roids, like you have to as a beginning Jenquai (please mind my spelling if it is wrong).

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”