Rustams Guide to M6 Corvettes

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Zaphodikus
x2

Post by Zaphodikus » Mon, 18. Oct 04, 17:37

Osprey can take on the huge Khaak clusters with Beta PSGs, but I once got toasted by an already broken-up cluster flying about. It seems the element of surprise (plus the fact I captured 5, and killed them) counts in the X-verse.

I have 2 Osprey, and feel no need to get a M2 or M1. Best way to refill the Osprey is with a Hercules (TL) that just tags along or get's called in and has a TS onboard her that just buys every so now and again. Use the Goner Transporter-device : freight beamer and viola. Also put a Transporter and SETA on the M5 (A disco makes a good "fetch energy now"), in case you loose yours in a fight.
void, yes void*, that's a nice type, very versatile

Code: Select all

combat Ace 1st              Shipping magneet
1 Phoenix, Herc.            1 Barracuda (my love), 3 Osprey
A zillion dolphins, 4 docks and 160 fabs

JungleJim
x3

Post by JungleJim » Mon, 18. Oct 04, 17:55

rustamk wrote:What do you exactly mean by "Taxi missions". You don't need much cargo space for that?

Rustam
Rustam,

These are the missions looking for a fast M5 (but I also lump the "Do you Gamble" missions with this).

Use a Pegasus with a M6 that has a large cargo hold.
Make sure the M6 is fully loaded with ecells for jumping.
Park the M6 within 5K km of the station & accept the mission.
Exit the station and cycle through targets until you get the M6.
Use the docking computer.
Once in the M6 jump to the destination sector.
Switch back to the Pegasus and zip to the destination station.

You can get to anywhere in the universe in 60 seconds this way.

Large cargo holds are necessary because you can do so many consecutive missions this way. I always run out of ecells in a Dragon or Nemesis. I've never tried it in a Centaur. Hydra & Osprey are as big as the cargo holds get.
Be seeing you,

[ external image ]

James_2k
x3

Post by James_2k » Mon, 18. Oct 04, 19:43

the hydra kicks ass, alongside your Ray it can keep the jumpdrive fueled for a long time.

rustamk
x3

Post by rustamk » Mon, 18. Oct 04, 20:56

And what is OOSD? I am sure I know, but I dont understand the abbreviation.

In my opinion only Hydra is good for nothing. The weapons on Dragon can make sure that it destroys its target before the target drains its shields. The shields on hydra make sure that the ship can last twice as long, in my opinion the Hydra is useless.

Osprey is best. And Dragon.

Well, OK, if you can do capping in an M6 then very well, very well, its just that I wouldnt do it, but that is my opinion. After diving into a cluster I captured 6 ( :o) khaak M5s but only one survived.

When I will finish the tactics section then I will consider some more uses.

Thanks

Rustam

JungleJim
x3

Post by JungleJim » Mon, 18. Oct 04, 21:13

OOSD means "Out of Sector Defense". This is combat that takes place between ships when you are not in the sector with them. This combat is resolved via a mathmatical formula which only takes into account laser value, shield value, & hull value.

In sector, a Centaur will get creamed by a Khaak cluster. Out of sector the Centaur will win 99% of the time.

When you have a large empire with factories (& ships) all over the place, it'll save you money to place OOSD ships in critical sectors. For this role both the Centaur & Nemesis are excellent (as I've said before, I prefer the Centaur). The other 3 all have useful properties too but would typically require a second M6 to cover their weakness (Dragon's lack of shielding, Hydra's lack of weapons, Osprey's lack of speed).

The only reason that I agree that the Hydra doesn't have a role is because of its price. If it cost the same as a Centaur/Dragon, it'd be awesome if paired with a second OOSD M6 (either Centaur or Osprey). However, at its price, it just doesn't make sense.

In summary the Hydra isn't useless. It just doesn't make financial sense when there are so many better M6 out there for less money.

I've played with using a Hydra + 3x maxed Iguana's. Set the Hydra to Attack all, set the Iguanas to Defend Hydra. This works well 95+% of the time but eventually you'll lose one of the Iguana's. So you'll need to keep track of the combo and supplement as needed. I'd rather shell out the extra dosh and have something that doesn't require as much attention (Hydra + Dragon maybe??).

Be seeing you,
Be seeing you,

[ external image ]

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 18. Oct 04, 21:22

JungleJim wrote: (Hydra + Dragon maybe??).
Works fine - Hydras shields soak up the damage, then the Dragon turns up & kills things (fast). Dragon should be set to protect - I usually use 'attack nearest' with paired M6's, but in this case I don't want the Dragon to get ahead of the Hydra.

Rathgar
x2

Post by Rathgar » Tue, 19. Oct 04, 07:09

I use hydras plus dragons as sector patrols (and when I tried out Marks Fight Command MkIII, they made good pairs for roaming patrols due to the high speed and weapons).

I'd disagree on the Hydra as useless bit. Using fast pass attacks with an Ion-D and Hornet missiles, I've scrapped numerous larger ships with it. It really makes a great missile cruiser. I would like to see it upgraded some (an extra light turret or two would be nice), but it is a usable ship.
- Of all the things I've loved and lost, I miss my mind the most.

- Please do not look into laser with remaining eyeball.

spence336
x2

Post by spence336 » Tue, 19. Oct 04, 17:20

yeh, it turns better than the osprey, its easier to fly into enemies in the osprey than actually turn to shoot them
ships;
1 teladi osprey 5 pirate ships
1 paranid nemesis 1 argon nova
1 argon centaur 1 argon discoverer
1 split mamba 1 boron barracuda
1 split scorpoin 1 boron manta
2 paranid pegasus' 2 boron dolphins

rustamk
x3

Post by rustamk » Tue, 19. Oct 04, 17:47

spence336 wrote:yeh, it turns better than the osprey,
No it doesn't. Read Argonopedia database Hydra steering is 5.99% and Osprey is 14.5%. Osprey has also better acceleration.

I would still go for an osprey, you get more value for money. Both ships are around 9 mil, and which one is better? An osprey, or a hydra+dragon combo?

Rustam

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 19. Oct 04, 21:16

rustamk wrote:which one is better? An osprey, or a hydra+dragon combo?
If I was limited to this choice, I'd go for the Hydra/Dragon combo. MUCH faster interception times so Khaak ships are unlikely to get anywhere near my stations or freighters. I never use Ospreys on their own, though that's not saying much - all my M6's operate in pairs. Mostly Centaur + Nemesis, though a few sectors use Ospreys, Dragons & Hydras captured during assassination missions.

rustamk
x3

Post by rustamk » Tue, 19. Oct 04, 23:07

Well, I didnt consider the "OOSD mathematics" in the review, I just wrote on the basis of what I could do with the ships. In a Nemesis or an Osprey I could safely visit a xenon sector, while a hydra is dead in two seconds.

I wrote on the basis that the ships would actually "fight" and not the result being calculated, so I am sure I missed a few points. I am the one who wrote the review, and I am actuall the one who is learning!

Although I don't usually take looks into account, I dont have any boron ships in my artillery. If I want to see a coral reef Ill go to Australia or something. As current I have:

Primary Battle Fleet

2 Ospreys
4 KM3s (This took me ages, with weapons!) If I sold them I would get whohohohoho about 17mil!
+ A fully loaded dolphin in most sectors (wee, I am a tycoon)

Secondary Battle Squadron:
2 Novas
2 Busters

Other stuff:

About 10SPP
About 30 Mercs
No sector defence!

Rustam

xenon_pimp

Post by xenon_pimp » Wed, 20. Oct 04, 00:55

Well, I didnt consider the "OOSD mathematics" in the review, I just wrote on the basis of what I could do with the ships
You should. Its one of the primary uses of M6's.

rustamk
x3

Post by rustamk » Wed, 20. Oct 04, 01:06

So, where can I find more info on this for an update?

Thanks,

Rustam

xenon_pimp

Post by xenon_pimp » Wed, 20. Oct 04, 01:35

I bet there's some stuff on it in the Ultimate Guide. Basically OOS combat usually comes down to laser value + shields on one side versus the other. The Hydra is good because while it doesn't kill the Khaak quickly, it makes the initial interception very quickly and keeps them busy fighting it, and has enough shields that in an OOS fight it stays alive till it either wins or backup arrives to finish the job.

Vaylon
x3

Post by Vaylon » Wed, 20. Oct 04, 21:28

Thanks Rustamk your guild made a good read, but like most other people here you missed the real use of an m6 which is Out Of Sector Defence.

My Ospreys can take on two clusters and come out on top every time in OOS. The only time I've lost an m6 is when I was in sector and three clusters spawned near it.

I use my m6's for quite a few things, capping is the main reason so I can't agree with your comments on them being no good for ship capping. I've bagged about 18 khaak m3's and 50 odd Xenon L's.

I use m6's to take out M2 class ships all the time. A Xenon K can outrun almost every fighter in the game so unless luck is on your side you will have a hard time killing a K in an m3. When its shields get low it runs off before you can inflict any hull damage. But with an m6 you can hammer some massive damage in to it before it has a chance to get away. An m6 is a lot smaller than an m2 and so has less surface area for to hit. It is more manoeuvrable than an m2 so can avoid almost all shots fired and can get in to the m2's blind spots.

But any m6 can be used to take on M2’s and M1’s not just the Osprey

-NJ
Live Life without Fear

Lord_Darkstar
x2

Post by Lord_Darkstar » Wed, 20. Oct 04, 21:45

I regularly use my Osprey and my Dragon for capping. The Dragon makes fantastic capping M6, because you only have one forward gun on it. Centaurs make nice capping machines as well.

The secret to capping small ships in an M6 is to turn off your turrets. That's right, you heard me... TURN THEM OFF! Now, you are just one really big M3. Congrats! (Against even a major pirate cluster, the Dragon's 1 single 125 MW shield is more then enough to take repeated hits from hornets with no worries.) By swapping your forward weapons down to PACs, you will now cap a tremendous amount of the time. If I outfit GPacs, for instance, I find I cap ships just as often in my Osprey as I do flying a Buzzard... 1 out of ever 3 PSes I attack, and 1 out of every 5 Orinocos. Flying my Dragon and using an AHept or BHept caps better then my Mamba.

You can leave your turrets on... if you really want to. But you'll want to swap your turret loads down. Again, an Osprey using GPacs all around is a nice capping machine. But... you main issue with your turrets active is that you have to think about whether you want those turrets firing on what you are attacking, or if you don't, and roll accordingly.

An M6 can and is a capping machine. As long as you change its load out appropriately, and change your turret settings.

OSHA

Osprey??

Post by OSHA » Sun, 14. Nov 04, 01:38

A VERY HELPFULL GUIDE BY RUSTMAN. BUT IF HE/SHE COULD SHED SOME LIGHT TO US WHERE WE CAN PURCHASE AN OSPREY? TO THAT MATTER CAN ANY ONE HELP? OR IS IT MISSING IN THE OLD VERSION OF THE GAME? OR DO WE NEED TO UNDERTAKE SOME MISSION?

LOOKS LIKE A MISSION IMPOSIBLE RIGHT NOW!

THANKING IN ADVANCE
OSHA

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 14. Nov 04, 05:11

Asking the same question in multiple threads is not appreciated--please do not do it again.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”