first m6

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bri62
x3

first m6

Post by Bri62 » Wed, 1. Dec 04, 15:38

I'm now in the position to buy my first m6 and am torn between two .....the dragon or the osprey any input from u guys will be appreciated
DFi NF4 Expert
AMD64 FX-57 Phase cooled
2x 6800 ultra's in SLi
G-Skill ZX 2Gig 2-2-3-5

Storm666
x3tc

Post by Storm666 » Wed, 1. Dec 04, 15:43

hard choice:
Ospray = strong and slow
Dragon = fast and weak

Ospray if your gonna do some heavy killing
Dragon if you still have to expore (its fast) or your a ace pilot

Bri62
x3

Post by Bri62 » Wed, 1. Dec 04, 15:47

done all the exploring for the moment, nothing obvious left so it looks like a killing machine :D
DFi NF4 Expert
AMD64 FX-57 Phase cooled
2x 6800 ultra's in SLi
G-Skill ZX 2Gig 2-2-3-5

khope194
x2

Post by khope194 » Wed, 1. Dec 04, 16:01

I got the killing machine and it can take out a pirate base on its own, as long as you check whats there before you attack it and make sure you take out the pirate with the twin Iond's first (if there is one), max its shields and you have no problem. If you've done all your exploring, get the Osprey. (It still won't last long in a Xenon sector on its own tho)

Mattremote
x3

Post by Mattremote » Wed, 1. Dec 04, 16:22

Between those two, I guess I would pick the Osprey. Lots of weapons and shields and good storage. But it all depends on your piloting/fighting skills and preferences. No matter which one you take, outfit a Teladi Harrier to use as your ship's boat (or captain's launch or whatever) to land in stations to save game, pick up BBS Missions, buy e-cells, etc.

I know your decision is between the Osprey and the Dragon, but frankly, I'd pick the Nemesis over either of them for a personal ship. The Nemesis has excellent firepower using PSGs, and the speed to pick your battles and the locations of your dogfights. Biggest drawback is the very limited storage. A Nemesis is fun for tickling a pirate base and knocking off or capturing the pirates, or destroying the base if you like. And it is survivable in Xenon sectors provided that you keep moving and don't take on more than one Xenon K at a time. In Xenon sectors, the Osprey's failing is the slow speed, which allows the Xenon to swarm you even when you are using PSGs.

niblue
x3

Post by niblue » Wed, 1. Dec 04, 16:37

IMHO the best two M6's are:

Osprey
Mini-destroyer, heavily armed and shielded but slow.

Dragon
More of a ultra-M3 than a proper M6 but that's no bad thing. Heavily armed but lightly shielded, fast and agile. The only real downside is the single forward weapon mount.

The only other one I'd consider is the Centaur which sort of fits inbetween those two. It's not as heavily armed as either but it does have two GHEPTs up front, it's got double the shielding of the Dragon and is a bit faster than the Osprey.

Ruh Roh
x2

Post by Ruh Roh » Wed, 1. Dec 04, 16:46

Osprey, And I am an ace pilot. I clear out xenon sectors all the time with just it.

The dragon is fine if you want to fly fast, but I preffer the two forward facing guns on the Osprey.
-Ruh Roh

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Wed, 1. Dec 04, 17:55

The ospray is a great ship, with HEPT's alone you can take down almost anything with enough skill.

But the dragon too is a powerful ship once you have mastered it, it lacks the PSG's of the ospray but you can easliy get 4 Ghepts firing at a target while it is alittle harder in the ospray.

Terminator J
x2

Post by Terminator J » Wed, 1. Dec 04, 18:03

I would recommend the Osprey if you want to kill something, but if you don't have enough money to buy a jumpdrive, a dragon is a good choice too.
No Mercy!!!

In game combat rank: Combat Ace 2nd Grade
Fleet: 1 Teladi Phoenix, 1 Teladi Osprey, 4 m3s, 2 m5s, a few transport ships
Stations: 1 Energy Cell Factory, 1 Gamma PPC Factory, 1 Wheat Farm
Credits: 24,000,000(about)

Mattremote
x3

Post by Mattremote » Wed, 1. Dec 04, 18:13

You know what I like about X2?

For all the complaints about game balance, players discussing ship choices always come up with so many different but sincerely held preferences!

Terminator J
x2

Post by Terminator J » Wed, 1. Dec 04, 18:15

Mattremote wrote:You know what I like about X2?

For all the complaints about game balance, players discussing ship choices always come up with so many different but sincerely held preferences!
That is because of different personalities! The X2 developement crew made sure to put in all types of ships for any type of person!!
Thanks Egosoft!!
No Mercy!!!

In game combat rank: Combat Ace 2nd Grade
Fleet: 1 Teladi Phoenix, 1 Teladi Osprey, 4 m3s, 2 m5s, a few transport ships
Stations: 1 Energy Cell Factory, 1 Gamma PPC Factory, 1 Wheat Farm
Credits: 24,000,000(about)

JungleJim
x3

Post by JungleJim » Wed, 1. Dec 04, 18:54

Honestly between those 2 choices I'd get the Nemesis every time :D .

I agree that the Osprey is a killing machine BUT I just can't stand going anywhere in one. It's just too D@mn slow.

I love cruising in my Dragon, but if you want to go clean Xenon sectors, it'll take a LONG time (HEPTs are not very effective against cap ships).

So my first M6 is typically a Nemesis. Later on when money's not so tight I get the others too so I can choose one that fits my mood (now there's a thought, use your M6 like a mood ring :roll: ).

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Nemesis is the "end all, be all" of M6, it's just that they have the right combination of speed & firepower that I look for in my first M6.
Be seeing you,

[ external image ]

Bri62
x3

Post by Bri62 » Wed, 1. Dec 04, 21:34

Hmmmm after all the posts i have decided on an osprey as i already have a jumpdrive in my nova so getting around is not so slow but i also want a nemisis now :) but that can wait till i got some more money.........Thanks for all the posts :D
DFi NF4 Expert
AMD64 FX-57 Phase cooled
2x 6800 ultra's in SLi
G-Skill ZX 2Gig 2-2-3-5

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”