Why can I only buy small Nova?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

The Necromancer

Post by The Necromancer » Sun, 14. Aug 05, 23:36

If u need to know were to find weapons u require place a sat in each sector with an equipment dock u can then check if any weapons are available without actually being in that sector this also applys for buying ships as sectors with shipyards also have equipment docks
ofcouse u will need to be equiped with the right trading equipment.
Well If I can't sell it Kill it!

holo_doctor
x3tc

Post by holo_doctor » Mon, 15. Aug 05, 00:02

banjaxo wrote:Oh yeeeeeeees! Finally found my Large Nova and kitted it out, just one remaining problem now. Got an Alpha IRE for the back turret as recommended by MGA, but I cant seem to get it to shoot missiles automatically. Do I need some further upgrade for this or am I just being obtuse?

(Please forgive me if it's the latter, as I've posted elsewhere the last PC game I played was PC elite back in 1990 at college so it's taking a while to get my eye in)
You need Fiight command software (avalible at any eq dock) to automate your back turrent (also give you laser autoaiming which is great in a furball fight) I sugest getting both Mrk 1 and 2. Then you have the option on your command menu under your turrent (shift c)
i7-930 2.8Ghz quad core
6gig DDR3-1600 3 channel Ram
Nvida GTX470
64gig SSD / 1TB Hitachi

The Necromancer

Post by The Necromancer » Mon, 15. Aug 05, 00:08

good ply for missiles is if u have installed all the latest updates and scripts u can setup with mosquito missile anti-missile defence go into command slot 1 and set from there u must be carring mosy's ofcouse.

banjaxo
x3

Post by banjaxo » Mon, 15. Aug 05, 01:07

You need Fiight command software (avalible at any eq dock) to automate your back turrent (also give you laser autoaiming which is great in a furball fight) I sugest getting both Mrk 1 and 2. Then you have the option on your command menu under your turrent (shift c)
Ta holo doc, I can stop trying to dodge the little suckers now!
good ply for missiles is if u have installed all the latest updates and scripts u can setup with mosquito missile anti-missile defence go into command slot 1 and set from there u must be carring mosy's ofcouse.
Does installing the bonus stuff make the game easier/harder or is it just a case of more choice? In other words, is it like "legal cheating"?

And what else does it do except the missile to missile thingy?

The Necromancer

Post by The Necromancer » Mon, 15. Aug 05, 01:18

well there are many scripts been writen but most improve on trading
there are cheat scripts but don't use them don't see the point.

have a read throu the files that come with them will give u a good insite in what they do

as for the mosquito script well found that very useful as thats just about all a mosy is fit for :lol:

holo_doctor
x3tc

Post by holo_doctor » Mon, 15. Aug 05, 10:09

banjaxo wrote:
Ta holo doc, I can stop trying to dodge the little suckers now!
Does installing the bonus stuff make the game easier/harder or is it just a case of more choice? In other words, is it like "legal cheating"?

And what else does it do except the missile to missile thingy?
1: don't get complacent about missiles even with the novas back turrent. Missiles can still hit you from the side where the turrent cant shoot them down.

2: the bonus stuff there is once script that makes the carriers and M2 and such a little better with there lasers and choice of weaponry but other than that there there to add extra functions for the player.
i7-930 2.8Ghz quad core
6gig DDR3-1600 3 channel Ram
Nvida GTX470
64gig SSD / 1TB Hitachi

DeathAndPain
x2

Post by DeathAndPain » Mon, 15. Aug 05, 10:33

Leeian555 wrote:Its a faster craft. its only downfall is that is has 33% less shielding with only two 25Mw shields compaired to a Nova's 3x25Mw. thats if you can find them so early.. you have to go east.
That is only one of the two big advantages of the Barracuda. Even more important to me is that it has the strongest power generator of all fighter-class ships that I know of. You want to mount BHEPT, and these consume a lot of power, so a strong generator is a must. What is the use of a powerful weapon if you cannot fire it because your energy is depleted?
Leeian555 wrote:Ion Ds are just to strip shields. try not to hit others close by with them too. BHEPTS are nice guns which do dammage to both. Use Ion Ds to strip the shields and then BHEPTS to kill hull.
I have considered that, but decided against it. Since the BHEPT also does very well against shields, I think it is easier to use BHEPTs only rather than lowering the shields with IonD and then switching both guns over.

The Wolf
x3tc

Post by The Wolf » Mon, 15. Aug 05, 11:32

I use a combination of BHEPTS and IonDs on my nova.

One problem that I had in assassination missions was with the boron hydra. Once I had knocked down their shields with my BHEPTs, they would just fly away out of range and let their shields recharge before coming back for more. It always ended up in a bit of a stalemate since the nova is too slow to give chase.

What I do now is charge in with two IonDs mounted, knock their shields down, and with a couple quick taps of 1 and 2, switch either both or one of them out with the BHEPTs I have on board. I find that one of each works well as the ion knocks their shields down quickly while the BHEPT hammers away at them while they are running away.

It works just as well against a couple of ospreys too. Pair the ionDs to bring those 375MW shields down quick, then switch them out for a pair of BHEPTs. The less hammering that I take from their turrets the better. :)

If I feel like dogfighting a bit, i'll leave the BHEPTs in as it takes longer. The IonDs really speed up the process.

Leeian555
x2

Post by Leeian555 » Mon, 15. Aug 05, 15:49

bah just capture a nova somewhere. if you fly hard enough save in a station then go in argon prime and fight a lone Nova. if you keep trying you will get one to eject. Free hull! woo. sometimes comes stocked. We can all spare 15% relations with the argon cant we.

if ye fail or they dont jump well try try again. after all ye just saved it. thats how i got my perseus.

:p

MGA
x2

Post by MGA » Mon, 15. Aug 05, 15:53

Leeian555 wrote:bah just capture a nova somewhere. if you fly hard enough save in a station then go in argon prime and fight a lone Nova. if you keep trying you will get one to eject. Free hull! woo. sometimes comes stocked. We can all spare 15% relations with the argon cant we.

if ye fail or they dont jump well try try again. after all ye just saved it. thats how i got my perseus.

:p
Trouble is I had to buy a Demeter to have the guts to try. That's what I did and now I have three.

@banjaxo sorry if I missed out the software upgrade. I haven't been playing for months. Nice to see you are enjoying your purchase though so I won't spoil your fun anymore.
A new rig is in my hands now if only there was time...

banjaxo
x3

Post by banjaxo » Mon, 15. Aug 05, 19:02

Again huge thanks to all, this game is getting better by the day!

Lord_Darkstar
x2

Post by Lord_Darkstar » Mon, 15. Aug 05, 19:48

DeathAndPain wrote: That is only one of the two big advantages of the Barracuda. Even more important to me is that it has the strongest power generator of all fighter-class ships that I know of. You want to mount BHEPT, and these consume a lot of power, so a strong generator is a must. What is the use of a powerful weapon if you cannot fire it because your energy is depleted?

I have considered that, but decided against it. Since the BHEPT also does very well against shields, I think it is easier to use BHEPTs only rather than lowering the shields with IonD and then switching both guns over.
Power Generator is not actually applicable in X2 other. The game doesn't use that stat. Barracuda is not as tough as the Nova, and doesn't have a rear turret. On the plus side, it is faster.

IonDs do better at stripping shields then BHepts. I usually use twin Ions to strip off the shields quickly, then swap over to 1 BHept and 1 IonD to kill my targets if they are a significant killing machine. If its just a PS, then simple BHepts is all that is required. ;)

You only need one solitary shield if you can only fight when you want to. But the truth is that it is very difficult to only fight when you choose. Most people will find that they have occasions when they need to or have to fight, rather then avoid an unfavorable fight. When that happens, the triple shielding of the Perseus or Nova is much better then the twin shielding of a Cuda.

Lord_Darkstar
x2

Post by Lord_Darkstar » Mon, 15. Aug 05, 19:50

All the bonus material make the game easier. They also make the game more enjoyable.

X2... just getting better and better. ;)

cnecktor
x3

Post by cnecktor » Tue, 16. Aug 05, 18:45

Why not do this buy the sNova then so ok when they say ship ordered at shipyard. Then the equip screen comes up then select what you want 25mw and the bhept or what ever there called and alll the upgrades you want. Then sell the stuff that came with the sNova good idea no?

Lord_Darkstar
x2

Post by Lord_Darkstar » Tue, 16. Aug 05, 23:45

No. This is why... the Argon do not offer 25 MW shielding anywhere in their territory. I'm sure they would like to, but they just can't make 'em. The poor blokes.

Now, if you have soem 25 MW shields to spare (thanks to pirating or being friendly with the right race), then it would be trivial to upgrade an "S" Nova to max. BHepts are easy to find in the Xverse.

thenormalman
x2

Post by thenormalman » Wed, 17. Aug 05, 00:11

You can occassionally buy 25MW shields at the Terracorp HQ (I think... Can't check as the game freezes). 25 MW shield is found either in Split or Paranid (I think.. can't check for the same reason).

I try to only use 1 Ion on my Nova unless against an M6 or pirate base because although I have 2, if they run out of shield, the Ion Disruptors will start killing the stuff (like weapons, shields, SETA, software etc) and the other stuff is usually worth more than the ship hull.

cnecktor
x3

Post by cnecktor » Wed, 17. Aug 05, 19:40

After you buy the ship they have a screen asking what you want on the ship. You have to pay for it but aleast you can get 25mw so buy the cheap ship then tell them to put 25mw on it if you have the credz.

mercurior
x2

Post by mercurior » Wed, 17. Aug 05, 22:10

i heard on a previous post, that you dont actually have to destroy any pirates, in paranid split space, just build a station that needs the secondary resource.. and they will buy from you, boosting your rep..

i dont know if this is true or not, but worth a try

Lord_Darkstar
x2

Post by Lord_Darkstar » Wed, 17. Aug 05, 22:52

It is true. Trading with a race raises your ranking with that race. In the beginning, you can put a station down near a race that hates you, and as long as that station sells something they use, they'll come to your station and buy it from you. Up goes your race ranking (slowly) with them, improving their opinion of you until they stop hating you, and will let you trade with them.

DeathAndPain
x2

Post by DeathAndPain » Thu, 18. Aug 05, 08:13

cnecktor wrote:After you buy the ship they have a screen asking what you want on the ship. You have to pay for it but aleast you can get 25mw so buy the cheap ship then tell them to put 25mw on it if you have the credz.
No, cnecktor, Darkstar is right: The screen you mentioned only offers stuff to you that the station has in stock. That also goes for shipyards where you buy new ships, not only for equipment docks. You may be able to buy your 25MW shields that way if you buy your ship at a Split shipyard, because only the Split manufacture 25MW shields. However, if you buy e.g. an Argon Nova, then the 25MW shield will either be at zero stock or be not even listed. On the other hand, if the Argon station is offering you the L variant of the ship, then it will have the 25MW shields. Apparently they import them from the Split, but the Split only sell them OEM versions that may only be sold bundled with a new ship. :D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”