[BONUS ADD-ON] SDS Station Delivery Service

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

xalien
x4

Post by xalien » Mon, 3. Jan 05, 12:35

While being great this script still needs a little tweaking. Recently I wanted to change some factories in huge loop complex in the PE and when it came to change energy delivering it was a major pain in the @** to find out who was delivering to whom. It would be great to have some command to repeat that report that is being generated when you start the SDS.

KarlHemmings
x4

Post by KarlHemmings » Mon, 3. Jan 05, 15:56

x2alien wrote:While being great this script still needs a little tweaking. Recently I wanted to change some factories in huge loop complex in the PE and when it came to change energy delivering it was a major pain in the @** to find out who was delivering to whom. It would be great to have some command to repeat that report that is being generated when you start the SDS.
I agree. Without wordy ship names it can be a pain if you loose one or re-assign it.

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Mon, 3. Jan 05, 18:48

Possibly the SDS could be written to make use of the "additional information" script to append this to the ship name. But imo the best way is to have transport ships named in this way in the first place
Math problems? Call 0800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Tue, 4. Jan 05, 22:17

This is the second-best script ever made! (You also took first prize with the Mk3 Trader.)

I would like to make two suggestions, however:

First, in an "emergency" (destination blinking yellow) SDS should waive all cargo size requirements and make its run immediately.

Second, a "bring back resource" or "two-way SDS" would be nice for crystal fabs. That would make the main loop run on 2 ships.

Instead of this 6-ship loop:

Energy SDS to farm, food, and crystal fab
Energy SDS to silicon mine
Silicon SDS to Crystal
Crystal SDS to SPP
Farm SDS to Food
Food SDS to Crystal

You would have 5:

Energy SDS to farm, food, and silicon mine
Round-Trip SDS Energy & Crystals between Crystal Fab and SPP
Silicon SDS to Crystal
Farm SDS to Food
Food SDS to Crystal

Hmm, instead of modifying SDS, which does its job quite well, we need a new script: "Round Trip Delivery Service" or "RTDS".

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Wed, 5. Jan 05, 01:43

Just so you guys know, there is an updated version of the sds script currently in development. No ETA as of yet. But if you can't wait, there is a public beta test in the german forum right now. If you're feeling mildly adventurous, check out the ASDS thread in the german scripting and modding forum.

If you can struggle through the german and make a 44*.xml to use you could beta test it and give feedback on how to improve it.
Cheers.
"Nature's first green is gold" . . . stay golden.

Dungeoncrawler
x3tc

Post by Dungeoncrawler » Wed, 5. Jan 05, 10:14

Hi all. I am assuming that you can get this new signed script from the all in one script downloader? Thanks.

Dc/Gary

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Wed, 5. Jan 05, 15:27

the SDS script isn't new - it was one of the first scripts to be signed. If you mean the ASDS mentioned a few posts back, that isn't a signed script yet

Dungeoncrawler
x3tc

Post by Dungeoncrawler » Thu, 6. Jan 05, 09:55

My bad for that. Should have checked the date of the post. Thanks for setting me straight :oops: .

Dc/Gary

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Sat, 8. Jan 05, 01:30

Thanks for the tip, Burianek. I'll give it a look. I don't know German, tho.

Translation software is always entertaining. Hey, even I can do what translation software does:

"To make later window gespunkelsfinde has time ASDS to computer lunkenfreudenmochtelkeit will have not makes good airplane logo.

>> Next Page"

English and German are practically the same thing and translation software still gets it wrong. Translations of dissimilar languages like English and Mandarin Chinese are even worse, something like a combination of alphabet soup and a particularly raucous game of 52 pick-up.

But I'll give it a shot. I already know what SDS is supposed to do. How hard could it be to muddle through?

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Sat, 8. Jan 05, 01:48

Burianek wrote:Just so you guys know, there is an updated version of the sds script currently in development. No ETA as of yet. But if you can't wait, there is a public beta test in the german forum right now. If you're feeling mildly adventurous, check out the ASDS thread in the german scripting and modding forum.

If you can struggle through the german and make a 44*.xml to use you could beta test it and give feedback on how to improve it.
Cheers.
I'm going to take a shot at translating it (roughly), and more importantly releasing a version of english language files so that it will even run on english games. You guys all have to promise to test the new version and tell me what you think about it though ok? I'll try to get to it this weekend if I have time, I'll post details in this thread.
Cheers.

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Sun, 9. Jan 05, 04:06

Well since you're twisting my arm, ok, I promise. I'm sure there'll be plenty of others here who will do the same.

StarDream Inc
x3

Post by StarDream Inc » Mon, 17. Jan 05, 08:03

I'll help test the english version, Burianek.

Will it require a second installation of the game to run in 'modified mode'? I haven't gone over to the dark side yet, just been using the signed plugins.
----------------------------------------------------
Pieces of Eight!
A Pirate's Life for me!
Live free or die,
and ne'er look a bounty hunter in the eye!
-Clutch
-----------------------------------------------------

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Mon, 17. Jan 05, 17:51

make a backup of your "scripts" and "t" directories before installing any unsigned script. Then all you need to do is restore the backups and revert to a save game before you installed the unsigned script to remove the modified tag. (or you could backup your save games as well)

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Mon, 17. Jan 05, 20:15

Yep, that's correct.
As an aside, I did translate it and sent it over to ticaki (the author) to proofread and edit. I would assume the english version will be available in a short while to test out.
Cheers.

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Tue, 18. Jan 05, 06:05

I didn't forget my promise! I just don't have much to say about ASDS.

Messing with the German version is kind of like playing a puzzle game.

I can say reservedly that it SEEMS to be working as intended.

Like the patrol script you configure everything in a series of additive steps then execute a "go" command. Works for me.

I would like it if the "Logging" switch were a separate configuration command, like "Einkaufsielen" and "Verkaufsielen", instead of my having to answer the question every time I run the ASDS activation command.

I shouldn't have to say "no" to logging over and over again. I should only be required to address the issue if I actually want logging enabled, at which point I would choose the configuration command "Logging Ja" while I was setting the Einkaufs and Verkaufs. (It would toggle to "Logging Nein" if I picked "Ja", so I could change my mind without having to redo the whole configuration.)

If you get the English translation up, it'll be most welcome. :)

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Tue, 18. Jan 05, 07:19

:)
It's in ticaki's hands currently. I'll remind him. (he's very busy atm)

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Tue, 18. Jan 05, 07:43

I didn't sound, err, enthusiastic enough about ASDS, so I'm back again.

ASDS rocks!

With the same ship that Einkaufs energy cells to your main loop you could also Verkauf crystals from the Crystal Fab, Einkauf farm produce to the food factory and Einkauf food to the Crystal Fab.

You can Einkauf Silicon to the Crystal Fab and Satellite Factory and Verkauf energy cells back to the Silicon Mine.

How cool is that?

Would it help if I said, "You could Smurf energy cells to the Silicon Mine with the same ship that Smurfs silicon to the Crystal Fab?"

What I'm trying to say is that you can set up your supply routes based on geography instead of resource type. If you pack your supply-chain factories together like I do, you can cover a lot of those quick delivery runs with the same ship.

The way the Einkaufing and Verkaufing are separated with their own amounts means you can even configure the system to work with "partially open loops" without having to carry a "float" throughout the entire system. "Open" factories can Einkauf for a fee, but its "Closed" recipients can Verkauf for free. (I'm assuming an Einkauf / Verkauf imbalance comes out of your general funds.)

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Wed, 19. Jan 05, 00:57

:) glad to hear it. ticaki usually writes a very well thought out intelligent script ;)
Sometimes they're actually too intelligent :D
Cheers.

StarDream Inc
x3

Post by StarDream Inc » Wed, 26. Jan 05, 09:16

Okay I tried out the SDS more, and I can definitely offer a few suggestions for the new version that shouldn't involve too much scope creep.

One big improvement it could use is a better input interface. Just a small thing. Basically, as it says in the readme, you need to put the parameters in the order [Homebase][PriceperUnit][TargetStation1][TargetStation2][Target Station3]

Now a lot of the plugs ins and basic commands allow you to press 'i' in the command console to see a litte description of how the command works and what it does. It would be good to include this in the next version of SDS, so you can hit 'i' to look up some info on it.

Also, it would be even better to have the script report the proper text when inputting the command. Currently, you just see 'select target' or something like that when entering the first, third, fourth and fifth parameters. It should be set up so it prompts you with:

'Select HomeBase'
'Price to Charge per Unit'
'Destination Station 1'
'Destination Station 2'
'Destination Station 3'

That way, you aren't seeing the same 'default' input text promt on four instances you need to give the script input.

I know those are small things, but if you're looking for things to fix or include in the english version of ASDS, this would be an easy but important thing to add. The german version could be set up that way too. I'm not familiar with the X2 modding tools, but it should be fairly simple to get the script to modify the promts the game gives you.

Another thing that might be nice would be to sell it at more than the Paranid Eq dock. Hard to get SDS if you're at war with the Paranid, or for the first stretch of a game, as they start off hating you. I guess you probably don't want it TOO accessible on the other hand.
----------------------------------------------------
Pieces of Eight!
A Pirate's Life for me!
Live free or die,
and ne'er look a bounty hunter in the eye!
-Clutch
-----------------------------------------------------

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Sat, 5. Feb 05, 14:56

This script is almost perfect. But I still have a minor question.
After first trying to make use of it I got the SDS software from the ED at Paranid Prime. But when I was going looping in Spring of Belief, I discovered that the ED at Cardinal's Domain doesn't sell the SDS software. Is this suppost to occur? Its tedious because now I have to manually buy it for every transporter in the ED at SoB.

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”