Anybody scripted up a warehouse yet?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Momaw
x3tc

Anybody scripted up a warehouse yet?

Post by Momaw » Tue, 30. Dec 03, 06:51

That's what I'd really like to see. A kind of trading station for the player. Takes any kind of wares, in large quantities, and serves as a stockpile/distribution point. Ideally there also needs to be a "Deliver Wares to Warehouse" and "Get Wares from Warehouse" AI script so that you can make your freighters use it. I'm not brave enough to try messing around with the editor until we get the documentation :)

man2104

Post by man2104 » Tue, 30. Dec 03, 08:13

simduck
x3

Post by simduck » Tue, 10. Feb 04, 03:39

I have downloaded script & assumed I place it in to the scripts directory.

Just wondering how I engage it or how do I get the warehouse?

Your help is appreciated.

_nox_
x4

Post by _nox_ » Tue, 10. Feb 04, 03:53

No, noone's done that. I'm actually working on this right now.
It'll be a station that can have both capital and standard ships dock to it, and it'll hold most wares, hopefully with a configurable buy price.

I'm working on a warehouser AI routine, for centralizing stockpiles - which is why.

I'm probably going to make 2 versions of this facility.

version 1 - ship tender facility - stocks and holds drones, energy cells, satellites, ammo. I'd love to make a 'repair' function but I can't figure out how to attach scripts to sector objects.

version 2 - warehouse - has settable prices for most tier-1&2 wares (energy crystals are tier 1, every other middle item is tier 2) finished products are tier 3.

one of the design decisions I don't like about this game is the low output of tier 2 factories. Tier 1 factories make 9x output, everything else makes 1x output - this means you can't be a 'supplier' of tier-2 resources. This makes for a lot of clutter and no economy of scale.

If I were designing this game, I'd make the tier-2 factories produce 4x, and the energy factories produce 8x... but, hey I didn't.

Nox (who can code for this game but can't play it)
No good deed goes unpunished.

_nox_
x4

Post by _nox_ » Tue, 10. Feb 04, 03:56

simduck wrote:I have downloaded script & assumed I place it in to the scripts directory.

Just wondering how I engage it or how do I get the warehouse?

Your help is appreciated.
depends on which script it is

most you have to open the script editor, highlight it and then hit 'r' for 'run script'

then it'll ask you for ship/station or null which you usually skip, then it'll show you the function definition of the script you are about to run, and THEN it'll ask you for the input to the script (station type, etc.)
then it'll give you a cursor to place the station.

My unasked for advice - don't cheat yet. Play until you appreciate the game and the economy, please. You'll thank me later.

- nox

Darshu
x3

Post by Darshu » Tue, 10. Feb 04, 04:18

What I could really use is a Munitions Dump.

My company in this game is called Taiho Positronic Innovations, we manufacture high-tech electronics and ship systems, from neural implant chips for pilots, to the "big guns."

I could SO use a place to store all my excess stuff that's either saved up for my fleet or to inundate the market with at a later time to drive down prices heh.

I'm a little confused as to why a giant frickin laser forge can only hold 2 guns who's volume each is 150XL, when it holds 40000 e-cells, 6666 of both ore and food products, with the ore being XL size anyways.

I mean, these weapons are mounted on turrets in ships, and most stations are as big or bigger than some. So what is all that space used for? :?

Redjack
x3

Post by Redjack » Tue, 10. Feb 04, 04:25

Darshu wrote: I mean, these weapons are mounted on turrets in ships, and most stations are as big or bigger than some. So what is all that space used for? :?
Housing all the meatsteaks, of course

_nox_
x4

Post by _nox_ » Tue, 10. Feb 04, 04:43

Darshu wrote:What I could really use is a Munitions Dump.

My company in this game is called Taiho Positronic Innovations, we manufacture high-tech electronics and ship systems, from neural implant chips for pilots, to the "big guns."

I could SO use a place to store all my excess stuff that's either saved up for my fleet or to inundate the market with at a later time to drive down prices heh.

I'm a little confused as to why a giant frickin laser forge can only hold 2 guns who's volume each is 150XL, when it holds 40000 e-cells, 6666 of both ore and food products, with the ore being XL size anyways.

I mean, these weapons are mounted on turrets in ships, and most stations are as big or bigger than some. So what is all that space used for? :?
Those weapons are a large resource sink, so stockpiling them is a drain on the economy. That's just a tuning thing - some designer arbitrarily decided on how much resource he wanted to tie up in that item.

I don't know of a way to set the stock quantity of an item at the moment. I'll keep looking though.

- nox

Darshu
x3

Post by Darshu » Tue, 10. Feb 04, 04:53

Well, it would be a large resource sink IF you used NPC resources.

But according to Reven's method, and the fact that SPPs produce enough energy to power 9 fabs (including the Crystal fab, the two food fabs and a silicon mine), an SPP can power a chain of 5 more fabs for free if you set it up right.

So right now I've got a 125MW shield fab and a GPPC fab pumping for free basically. I have to store them on a fully expanded Dolphin for now, and once I acquire and kit out a cap ship or two, I'll start selling them back into the market.

That's like two and a half game weeks though.

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”