walkthrough for fixing commands from older scripts?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Stel
x3tc

walkthrough for fixing commands from older scripts?

Post by Stel » Sun, 1. Feb 04, 15:26

Hello fellow Xers,
I'm having a small problem that I figure others must have run into also and was hoping for a little more detail on fixing it.
Some of the earliest scripts were overwriting the 44003.xml file, therefore losing the command lines that would have told you what that 'button' does. I understand the xml scripting a little better now, and realize that they should have been placed in sequential order so that they would load one after the other. However, now I have scripts I'm happy with (til something nifty and new comes out) and would like to make the buttons say what they should. I've read about combining the xml's into 44003.xml to enable all the buttons, but haven't had much success with it. Apparently it's more complex than 'cut all text in a script-specific xml' and 'add it all to the end of the 44003.xml'
Is there a relatively easy way to do this? It doesn't seem complicated, until I start trying to assign each script it's own 440XX.xml and it's own 'init' line, and then i get sorta lost in all the dang numbers. Any walkthroughs that explain this fairly specifically? Or am I just a scripting numbbutt? (that'd explain a lot of things, actually).
Thanks in advance,
STEL!
(KICK ASS game, me and mrs Stel have been pretty much junkies since 2 weeks ago)

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Sun, 1. Feb 04, 17:39

Try the first post in this forum, the tutorial 1. that deals with this problem I believe.

Stel
x3tc

Post by Stel » Fri, 6. Feb 04, 16:02

Thanks, I had read it, but after carefully re-reading, I managed to get most of the buttons to work correctly, except for the SellBest Improved, which I think I can cobble together an xml for. Got the other two scripts corrected via the copy and paste method, apparently not recomended, but workable. Not a life threatening trouble anyhow, but I do enjoy feeling like a script or mod isn't a tissue jammed into a nosebleed.
STEL!

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”