Any thoughts on linking system map to ship navigation map?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

TradinCajun
x3tc

Any thoughts on linking system map to ship navigation map?

Post by TradinCajun » Tue, 10. Feb 04, 21:21

Just thought of another feature that could cut the key strokes by half.

The way X2 is set up now the system info map and nav map behave as 2 seperate intities but IMO should be linked provided you have the software upgrades.

Senario (the way X2 works now)
Current location = Argon Prime

(I'm going to leave out all the key strokes needed to just to find a Crystal Fab buying silicon at the price I'm willing to sell and use Crystal Fab Alpha in Antigone Memorial as an example.)

Starting from cockpit view enter the following:

comma rightarrow uparrow uparrow return (Antigone Memorial highlighted)

downarrow downarrow downarrow downarrow downarrow downarrow downarrow downarrow (Crystal Fab highlighted)

U (to see prices. great they're buying silicon for 721cr woot!)

escape

(This is where Egosoft should have added "T" to target and engage autopilot. All I get is a beep.)

(Wish "shift J" was also included at this point if I want to jump to the gate closest to station targeted.)

This would be the end if this additional command key was added. But the way it works now we have to continue on...

escape escape (gets you back to cockpit.)

Now you have to navigate to the same station that you just had on your screen moments ago:
From the cockpit screen (again):

S C 1 2 rightarrow uparrow uparrow return downarrow downarrow downarrow downarrow downarrow downarrow downarrow downarrow

(This is where Egosoft should have added "U" to see prices. All I get is a beep.)

(Also wish "shift J" here to jump to the closest gate to station targeted.)

return (activates autopilot)

(Finally done. Phew...I need a break. My carpal tunnel syndrome is flaring up again. I don't type this much at work.)

By adding the "U" and "T" keys to the 2 map systems would shorten the number of key strokes considerably. and make playing seem less of a chore.

Total number of keystrokes X2 currently uses = 35
Total number of keystrokes using my recommendation = 16
That cuts down the number of key strokes more than half.

Of course I still wish for a mouse driven menu system WITH a cursor.

But I'd settle for the shortened keystroke version.

Thanks for your response.

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”