-new Script: Xai Corp Advanced Combat Project:V1.57a

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Kailric
x3

Post by Kailric » Sun, 11. Apr 04, 17:15

Its automatic, but only in modified games. You can't start a new unmodified game and use the files as nothing will load but the sighned ones..once you copy the files to your /script folder the next time you load a modified game it will take effect. To use them in a new game you have to enable the scritp editor. And like I mentioned in the read me, any ship that already has a combat command running when you load the game will continue to run that same script until another combat script is called. There are several scripts that deal with combat, because there are several different approaches to how combat starts. If you just want to check out the new AI there is a seperate demo that works all by it self that spawns a ship for you to battle and does not effect the rest of the game...but the demo has to be turned on in the script editor.
"Try not. Do or do not, there is no try."-Yoda

"[Its] time for the human race to enter the solar system"-Dan Quayle

D_Zorro
x3tc

Post by D_Zorro » Sun, 11. Apr 04, 17:57

Kailric wrote:Its automatic, but only in modified games. You can't start a new unmodified game and use the files as nothing will load but the sighned ones..once you copy the files to your /script folder the next time you load a modified game it will take effect. To use them in a new game you have to enable the scritp editor. And like I mentioned in the read me, any ship that already has a combat command running when you load the game will continue to run that same script until another combat script is called. There are several scripts that deal with combat, because there are several different approaches to how combat starts. If you just want to check out the new AI there is a seperate demo that works all by it self that spawns a ship for you to battle and does not effect the rest of the game...but the demo has to be turned on in the script editor.

I just tried it and i must say i'm am imppressed with what the AI was capable of, i fired a missle at it and it lounch another missle to destroy mine too, and i could hardly get any lock on the ship either, it was constantly manouvering , this new script of your's really put's egosoft combat AI to shame, great work.

D_Zorro,

D_Zorro
x3tc

Post by D_Zorro » Sun, 11. Apr 04, 18:01

But i was wondering , your new combat script, does it only affect Computer AI of the other races ?? you now the ones you spawn with script editor Or does every races AI handel like that too ???

Great work keep it up.

Now i really have to think twice before attacking any other ship, cause it could be my last.

D_Zorro,

Kailric
x3

Post by Kailric » Sun, 11. Apr 04, 18:27

Yes the new AI will do all it can to survive. And threating missles will become its first priority.

The new AI will kick in anytime your ship, the one you are flying in, starts a battle with any other ship. No matter what race. If you attack a friendly ship it will attack you back with the new script.

Right now on default the difficulty is quite high compared to that of the orginal. I want to add in more randomness to the skill of the pilots. So you will never know just how good the pilot will be.

Just want to clear something up that I said. Not only will ships your are attacking use the new script but any ship that is attacking your ship will also use it. Try soloing a pirate base now! And not all missiles will be considered a threat to the AI, only ones that could cause serious damage.

Currently AI to AI battles work the same as before, they use the old scripts. Likewise your ships will use the old ones too. The new scripts where coded with a human player in mind, AI to AI battles is still in the works.

XU Vagabond
x3tc

Post by XU Vagabond » Mon, 12. Apr 04, 16:21

Hey this script is the bomb it make combat FUN
keep up the good man

The_Rock
x2

Post by The_Rock » Tue, 13. Apr 04, 14:01

Makes Rock wanna re-install X2 and see the improved pilots.:)
"How very touching his meaningless death was. But this fight was never for mortals".

Kailric
x3

Post by Kailric » Tue, 13. Apr 04, 23:03

The_Rock wrote:Makes Rock wanna re-install X2 and see the improved pilots.:)
then why don't you do that...grab some of the new scripts at Xia Corp while your at it too...

Dark_Knight
x3tc

Post by Dark_Knight » Tue, 20. Apr 04, 00:46

Deserves a BUMP.

Shara
x2

Post by Shara » Tue, 20. Apr 04, 02:34

What's the status on this mod? I am wanting to try this in conjunction with my Need4Speed mod... together this might be the best dogfighting X2 has seen yet.

Kailric
x3

Post by Kailric » Tue, 20. Apr 04, 02:47

Hey, Kailric here..duh

This mod hasn't been tested with any speed up mods...so it could be very deadly...give it a try and let me know what you think...its a breeze to uninstall and install plus there is a demo so you don't have to install it at all really. There are instructions to increase or decrease the difficulty in the readme.

I am currently working on making the AI more random in its skill..right now it is pretty high on default..that is each ship you fight will have a skill level from 1 to 4..where 4 will be about like it is now. But even at level 1 it will be a better fight than using the orginal scirpts.

Shara
x2

Post by Shara » Tue, 20. Apr 04, 04:42

Kailric,

Does your script do only that? A script? Or does it also mod the game files?

Mine mods the TShips, TBullets, and TRockets files. I want to make sure there is no overlap with your script/mod. If there isn't, then it will be easy for me to test with my mod asap, and should give a pretty good idea of how the two work together.

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Tue, 20. Apr 04, 05:18

Shara wrote:Kailric,

Does your script do only that? A script? Or does it also mod the game files?

Mine mods the TShips, TBullets, and TRockets files. I want to make sure there is no overlap with your script/mod. If there isn't, then it will be easy for me to test with my mod asap, and should give a pretty good idea of how the two work together.
script only

Kailric
x3

Post by Kailric » Tue, 20. Apr 04, 15:02

Yep, its just scripts. And the orginals are not touched, they stay where they are just like they are...thats why its easy to uninstall..as soon as you take them out the orginals take back over in the game.

Kailric
x3

Post by Kailric » Wed, 21. Apr 04, 02:56

Beta version 1.1 is ready.........
This should allow for a more balanced and realistic gameplay

http://webpages.charter.net/kailric/Xai ... %201.1.rar

..here are the notes:

V 1.1 Notes

-Added four skill levels for enemy ships. The ratio is as follows...

-Levels 1 to 4 (4 being highest)
But even at the lowest level of 1 pilots are still better challenge than default scripts.
1: population 30%
2: population 30%
3: population 20%
4: population 20%

-speeds will now vary from ship to ship, with level 4 haveing the fastest

-added the script: fight.attack.skill
This script can be tweaked to change skill levels and population..should be self explanitory when veiwed.

-Tweaked AI more..should be a bit smarter.
-Edited the ship.signal.attacked script for better performance

Kailric
x3

Post by Kailric » Thu, 22. Apr 04, 13:13

http://webpages.charter.net/kailric/Xai ... 201.1a.rar

Version 1.1a is up...

Found a couple bugs that would prevent the AI from applying skills correctly.

Kailric
x3

Post by Kailric » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 01:16

Just an update...

I am excited! I have figured out how to get the AI to follow and shoot lasers at close range effectively. Still in codeing phase, but hopefully will have a working model in a few days. Also AI can be programed to change lasers...say switch to Ion to get shields low then, switch back to do damage..sweet.

In a test run a fully loaded Nova running under default scripts took on a Pirate Orinoco running under this new code. The AI does not cheat at all, and does (the best it can) what a player would do in a given situation. The battle lasted about 15 seconds after coming in laser range...the Orinoco did the victory dance! Novas beware!

Edit...I just watched the new AI Orinoco solo 4 Novas, and a khaakM5 that was passing by...sweet I tell ya.

dPM_HeMan
x3

Post by dPM_HeMan » Sun, 25. Apr 04, 10:41

sounds good, keep it up 8) :thumb_up:

Kailric
x3

Post by Kailric » Mon, 26. Apr 04, 00:04

Have an update..just two files to add to your /script folder where the 1.1a is already installed. This will cause the AI to attack more aggressively and at closer range when there is more than one attacker. They will also follow you and fire lasers if they are not your target. Note this only effects fighter types and only if they are not your target but they are attacking you the player in your ship.

I plan on updateing it more, but this code works very effectively.

Note must have 1.1a already installed:
http://webpages.charter.net/kailric/Agg ... Attack.rar

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Tue, 27. Apr 04, 17:10

Just some feedback,
This is, without a doubt, alongside Xai Trade C S Mk1.1a the best script I've ever installed. (and I've tried most of them)
GREAT JOB!!!
I've tested this with various mods, mwm, laser speed upgrades, need4speed, etc. works beautifully!
One on one combat is still relatively easy just due to the fact that it's just too easy to get on the computers tail and stay there. But with your update, combat against multiple foes is actually pretty difficult. If you try to tail a single opponent the others will get on your tail and rip you apart. Very different from the original egosoft fire once or twice and then fly around for a little while, waiting to get destroyed.
Taking on a cluster is sheer hell. If you don't have npc assisting, and drawing some of the fire, don't expect to last long unless you've got shields to spare.

Can't say this enough, everyone out there should immediately install this script! Won't conflict with any other scripts as there are no linked commands. No reason not to install.

Great, great work!

I'm developing and playtesting a mod that rebalances M3-M6s somewhat using what I consider to be the best changes implemented in the mwm, need4speed, and various other mods I've toyed with. I'm still working on it, and will release after patch 1.4 comes out, but the prototype I'm playing including your combat scripts is so good it's like playing a completely different game than the original. I used to think X2 was primarily an economic simulator with a bit of combat thrown in as an afterthought. I'm not so sure anymore.....
Thank you.

I don't know if ego is willing to sign a script like this, and I'm sure you'd want to wait until you've brought it as far as you think you can take it, but they should see this. The game needs this.
"Nature's first green is gold" . . . stay golden.

Kailric
x3

Post by Kailric » Tue, 27. Apr 04, 22:58

Thanks for the feed back! I am anxious to try out your mod also. I haven't been working with any other mods at all, been to busy really. And I haven't gotten this to where I want it just yet. Trying to make the AI as difficult as possible...well doing it, for "there is no try" and then balanceing it out with the new random SKill set. I broke some major ground when I figured out how to get the AI to tail you and fire lasers at the same time and I am still working on improveing that. As soon as I get the AI as tuff as I can, we at Xai Corp plain on releaseing the player version of this script that they can install on there own ships. This new AI will get better, gain experence, as it survives battles so you will get to watch your ships intellegence in combat grow.
I hope to be able to install the new AI into a fully loaded Nova and have it take on a whole pirate base all by itself and win, without cheating, just like a player can...thats with takeing on the old AI that is.

I am also anxious for 1.4 so I can see the improvements they make on combat.

The fighter based ships for sure needs a better ballance. M4s should be able to hold there own for some amount of time against an M3, as of now any AI that takes on a M3 with an M4 is just as same as saying "I don't want to live anymore".

As far as being signed..I doubt that, unless they make some kind of option at the start of a new game to turn this on or off because like you say, it changes things a whole lot and you would have to adopt a whole new style of play...no more conquring the whole galaxy in one single ship.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”