SSG mod w/33 custom ships available for download - V0.1.7e2

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Xmaestro
xr

Post by Xmaestro » Fri, 7. Jan 05, 04:57

Thanks for the quick reply Deadlyda.

Sorry you I can't recreate the problem...

My machine's specs aren't bad at all actually. The Radeon 9500Pro is still a pretty powerful card. I have 1 Gig of Ram. Only my processor is slightly old (Athlon 1.3). The fps rate is always pretty decent (unless playing in a sector with a complex nebula and with 10 Ks shooting at the same time! ;-))

Yep, I was flying the standard Disco and docked at two standard stations (crystal fab and SPP) so nope, it's not the custom graphics.
Really sorry it doesn't work for you.
Me too!
...just currious, but did you ever play the MWM mod?
MWM? I'm guessing the Massive War Mode you are referring to in your mod's description? Nope. Don't even know what it's about.

I never once froze in any of my games in X2 and I played several looong games. Long enough to get to Combat Ace 1st Grade with over 40 factories.

Strange. I did try your mod once before these two crashes for a very short while (half an hour). But I went into it through "New Game in Custom Galaxy" and just flew around (real fast using the engine tuning script - no I didn't use scripts the times I froze afterwards) until I discovered your player station (Nice job!) that is strangely connected to four different points all over the map (is this normal?). No freezing that time but I only docked once, at the player station.

Any information in the above that can help you find out what the source of the freezing is? Good luck!

Xmaestro
----------------------
Since 2004 (X2), capping ships (without the whole boarding with trained marines complexity) is still my favorite thing to do. :)
----------------------

E.R.Hyland
x2

Post by E.R.Hyland » Fri, 7. Jan 05, 19:37

Did you get the ERH_MWM5d.zip I sent you?

I tried to do the front guns my self. I got it down to 3 front guns, and they all worked, but the turrets stoped working. I think it has something to do with the " ? " value in the X2Editor gun lines.

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sat, 8. Jan 05, 00:13

Xmaestro,

I fully agree that your system should run the mod just fine. I currently run an ATI 9800Pro, Athlon XP2.6, 1 Gb mem, etc. However, I used to run X2 on an ATI 9600, Athlon 1.3, and only 500Mb before upgrading a few months back...with no problems.

I can only assume it's something in the galaxy map that is causing a problem on some systems. (Who knows...maybe the larger sector size, or extra gates & sectors, are causing some internal X2 table to grow to the point where certain system configs die?)

As I mentioned in a prior post, I will try installing on a really old "clunker" this weekend, in hopes of recreating the lockup.

If I can get a configuration where the problem can be easily recreated, I'll try starting with a fresh unmodified universe map, and changing things one step at a time...testing in between changes.

BUT...I do have one final idea/alternative:

When I built the original map that I used as the base for my mod (about 6-7 months ago), I used a text editor (TextPad) to "cut & paste" the necessary "raw" sectors from the old MWM map into a clean X2 V1.4 map. I then used DS's X2 Editor and the in-game galaxy editor to increase sector sizes and the positions of various galaxy objects. It's possible that there is something "lurking" in the old MWM sectors that is causing the X2 engine to hang with some hardware configurations.

So...if you'd be willing to test it (one more time), I am prepared to invest my time and effort to manually recreate the MWM sectors using a fresh V1.4-base map. This would be a real pain, but I'd love to "nail" this thing! If you are willing to do the test, let me know. It's a fair bit of work, and would take me a day or so (given RL keeps intruding on my gaming time!)

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sat, 8. Jan 05, 00:15

E.R.Hyland,

I just got back from the weekly grind, and found your .zip in my inbasket. I'll take a look at it tonight, and PM you with the results.

Xmaestro
xr

Post by Xmaestro » Sat, 8. Jan 05, 02:03

DeadlyDa,

I already retried it! :wink:

Found two new strange things:
:arrow: When doing one of the first missions (retrieving Mi-Ton),
Spoiler
Show
the "mysterious" Dragon ship that uncloacks to save the day
doesn't even show in the cutscene!!! How odd. I thought cutscenes were like movies.

:arrow: Another thing happened: when trying to leave the "Deadly Station", my Disco got stuck between the outside doors and the inner doors. Not sure why the outside doors didn't open when I was trying to leave...

:arrow: Another detail annoyed me: the y-axis of the mouse is inverted. Can't fly properly when I'm used to have it NOT inverted. Funny I don't remember it being inverted when I played previously. My version of your mod is haunted I tell you! :P

Btw, I flew your "Dralthi" today (scripted it in just to see it). Superb capturing machine! I also tried the superb Teladi M2. Really nice design (speaking with 15 years experience as an art director for various multimedia firms) but when I left it with my Disco, it moved downwards (like all ships leaving their motherships) and hit the nice extruding wing below the docking entrance. I tried to move it but with the inverted y-axis I did a wrong move and bang-bang against the hull, I exploded... Maybe a different position for the entrance might prevent this?

Was there something specific you wanted me to test? (Boy I should be working on a web site but just wanna play X2... - I'd love to get my hands on the old X-BTF or X-Tension too - never played them...)

Xmaestro
----------------------
Since 2004 (X2), capping ships (without the whole boarding with trained marines complexity) is still my favorite thing to do. :)
----------------------

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sat, 8. Jan 05, 02:47

Xmaestro,

Yeah, I had noticed that about undocking with the Grendel (M2)...the current docking config is 2 ships above, and 2 ships below the port & starboard thruster naceles. When you undock from an M6 or M2, the X2 game engine always drops your ship down slightly, to try and clear the "mothership". Since I use a Saitek Cyborg Evo joystick, and always hit "boost" when I undock, I never hung around long enough to hit one of the naceles :D

It really does look cool when you are flying around in the Grendel with 4 ships docked, 2 up & 2 down, but I guess I should go ahead and move all 4 docking stations to below the naceles, just to keep things tidy.

(I'm in the process of finishing the textures my "new & improved" model of the Sulaco (from Alien), and it has great docking locations under the two main "arms". 'Course, I can also find room for an internal docking port, so I guess I need to decide if it should be an M2 or an M1 :roll: )

Anyway, with regards to my "testing" comment...if I am unable to recreate the problem, and and you can reliably get it to hang with your config...then what I was suggesting is that I would be willing to re-create the map from scratch (argh...the pain!), and have you try it. It's quite a bit of work, and may not help...but if it's not the graphics, what else could it be?

jduato
x3tc

Post by jduato » Sat, 8. Jan 05, 14:27

I performed a few more tests. First, I finally managed to kill a destroyer with the Dralthi. Not an easy task at all since IDs have such a short range now. It was a Python (i.e. less shielding) and I had to use the strafe drive to keep shooting for longer with my BHEPTs. The GPSG in the back turret also helped but not too much.

I also tried the Split M6. Really impressive design!!! What a beatiful ship. Unfortunately, it is not so effective. I attacked a Xenon K (I only tried once). The lower turning rate and bigger size with respect to the Banshee, together with the faster firing rate of PPCs made me fail. I could not kill the K because I was hit too frequently while trying to hit it with my (only 4) front lasers. This was quite deceiving, compared to the Banshee (I really like this ship).

I have to recognize that I like fighters much more than corvettes, and corvettes much more than destroyers (much more fun). I am considering adding PSGs to the Banshee. I already killed many Xenon Ks and Js with a standard Perseus and without using strafe drive (what a great fighter, if it just had a larger cargo bay to make the jumpdrive usable). But I never managed to kill a Khaak destroyer with a fighter. Perhaps a Banshee with PSGs could do it (possibly using starfe drive to avoid the Gamma Kyons).

More later

Aketzali
x3tc

Post by Aketzali » Sun, 9. Jan 05, 14:33

I have been playing with version 0.1.2a on a new installation of X2 for many hours now without experiencing any lock-ups. :D

I have reinstall X2 before without any success, so either the bug has been fixed, or it is because I now wait a few seconds with pressing the ESC-key, when I dock into a station.

E.R.Hyland
x2

Post by E.R.Hyland » Sun, 9. Jan 05, 16:11

Received files ok.

Thanks for fixing the M6 for me.

Did you try any of the new ships?

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sun, 9. Jan 05, 16:36

...been playing with version 0.1.2a on a new installation of X2 for many hours now without experiencing any lock-ups
Aketzali: Glad you fround a work-around that lets you play the mod on your setup. Strange that it takes waiting a second or to upon docking before pressing the ESC key to connect. I guess X2 needs to get through some "house keeping" routines...wish I knew what it was doing :roll:

E.R.Hyland: No problem doing a custom front laser config for you on the M6. Your mod looks interesting, but I'm so busy getting the new Sulaco model ready for release that I haven't had time to play it yet. If RL allows, maybe I can take a look next week.

E.R.Hyland
x2

Post by E.R.Hyland » Mon, 10. Jan 05, 19:52

Can you do the Sulaco as an M1, and make the skin more dark?

I want to use it as the XenonM1.

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Mon, 10. Jan 05, 21:55

Can you do the Sulaco as an M1, and make the skin more dark?
I'm still trying to decide what to do with the Sulaco. I did the old one up as an M1 (internal docking)...but I also did an M2 version, and having the docking points under the "arms" works really well.

I'm thinking i might do the model with both internal docking, and 4 external docking points. That way, you could use it as either an M1 or M2, depending on how you set up the TShips entry.

The real question is whether or not I should start using "X2 normal" loadouts for the weapons on my ships. Up until now, I have created the "big ships" with max weapons (6 turrets, 4 lasers per turret)..that way, if someone wants to "de-tune" the loadout, all they have to do is remove gun entries from TShips. However, if left "as is", they do tend to unballance the game.

Sigh...decisions, decisions :roll:

Anyway, here are a couple of pix of the Sulacoo, which will be in the next release. The pix were taken in Argon Prime...I think you will find it dark enough. The textures actually look pretty good, when you are closer...but to get the the whole ship into a single screenie, I had to back off my viewpoint quite a bit.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
Last edited by DeadlyDa on Thu, 3. Feb 05, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

E.R.Hyland
x2

Post by E.R.Hyland » Tue, 11. Jan 05, 04:52

Very nice dark, and menacing looking prefect for the Xenon M1, and I like the 4 gun load out if you want to balance just add more guns to all the other M1's.

Aketzali
x3tc

Post by Aketzali » Fri, 14. Jan 05, 15:38

I have been trying to get rid of all the ReadText17 items and have so far found that one must install the "MK1 Engine Booster" plugin, because pirate ships freequently have this installed.

However, one can still "buy" ReadText17 items in several places, e.g.:

War Zone 1505
- Free Merchants Guild Trading Station
-- ReadText17-7000903
Getsu Fune
- Argon Equipment Dock
-- ReadText17-5803
-- ReadText17-5833
-- ReadText17-5883
- Boron Equipment Dock
-- ReadText17-5883
- Split Equipment Dock
-- ReadText17-7000903

Which additional mods/plugins do I have to install, to be able to use these ReadText17 items?

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Fri, 14. Jan 05, 16:31

Wow, the Sulaco is really awesome, and is there a non-rule that says M2's can only have external docking and M1's can only have internal? :?

Meh, anyways, if it's going to be Xenon craft, shouldn't have at least SOME red somewhere on it?
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Fri, 14. Jan 05, 18:44

Aketzali,

That was the case on the initial release, but I had fixed it in the 0.1.1 package. I have a couple of X2 development environments, and I must have accidently verified the map for the 0.1.2 release using the one with my full script mix installed.

Just for my sanity's sake, which mod (wares/no wares/ships only) & version are you running?

I will double check the map(s) in the 0.1.3 mod package I'm about to release (the one with the new Sulaco model), and make sure none of the TD's/ED's have any residual product from scripts left in them.

I'm at work at the moment, but can send you a list of the scripts when I get home in a couple of hours (from memory, Xai Jumpdrive Commands is one). I can also send you a script that will scan through the galaxy and remove the offending wares, if that would be easier.

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Fri, 14. Jan 05, 19:22

CKarl said:
is there a non-rule that says M2's can only have external docking and M1's can only have internal?
Well, I started out building my ships as "max death meachines"...but that tends to get a bit tiresome. Lets face it, once you've created your private M5 with an M6 loadout, and conqured the universe...the original X2 ship balancing starts to look pretty attractive.

In fact, I've been looking very seriously at the balancing work being done by Mauzi!, and it is very well thought out. In fact, I have asked for permission to incorporate the 0.81 beta of Mauzi!'s mod into mine.

Simply creating a 28-laser "Mega-Death" capital ship that can dock 200 ships doesn't really add much to the game :)

Having said that, I have been known to modify a ship for someone's personal use or mod...

E.R.Hyland
x2

Post by E.R.Hyland » Sun, 16. Jan 05, 10:49

Caught an error in your new TP you set one of the front guns to 918, so only 2 where firing.

So any ETA on 1.3?

Aketzali
x3tc

Post by Aketzali » Sun, 16. Jan 05, 14:42

Sorry for the delay, I have been playing "Hearts of Iron II" lately. :oops:
DeadlyDa wrote:Aketzali,
Just for my sanity's sake, which mod (wares/no wares/ships only) & version are you running?
I completely unstalled X2, and then installed the following, in the given order:

1. European version of X2
2. X²: The Threat Update 1.4
3. Artificial Life Update
4. D-Ships&Stns-CustMap-WithWares-V0.1.2a.rar
5. Trade Command Software Mk3
6. BPH Upgrade Kit MK1
7. Station Management System
8. Basic Patrol Commands
9. Waremanager
10. Engine Tuning Kit

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sun, 16. Jan 05, 17:15

All,

OK...progress on the 0.1.3 upate (with the new Sulaco model as the Split M2)...
  • The readtext messages are fixed (again).

The bug with the front lasers on the Basilisk (TP) is now fixed.

The number of front lasers on the M6 harpy has been reduced to 4.

A few minor adjustments to several ships performance & handling.

A new capital ship has been added (replaces the Split M2).
Once I'm finished tweeking the Sulaco textures, I'll go ahead and upload the 0.1.3 release...maybe later today.

-------------------------

In other news...

As mentioned elswhere, I have been given permission by Mauzi! to create a version of the Ship, Station & Galaxy mod(s) using his ship re-balancing work. For those who follow his mod, I am using the recent 0.83 release as a base. IMHO, it turns X2 into a completely different game...one I really enjoy playing. (My my...who would have believed it...M4's can actually be used for something besides scrap!) However, in order to make it work well, I am having to "de-tune" the weapon loadout on several of my ships.

Because Mauzi!'s re-balancing may not be everyone's "cup of tea", I will have maintain "meta versions" of my mod...the original 0.1.x release will continue to be supported and developed.

Then...once I get the balancing right for my custom ships (aligned with the rest of Mauzi!'s mod), I will upload the a new mod using the 0.2.x version sequence. The first public release will be 0.2.1 (The initial 0.2.0 version is being playtested at the moment.)

Hope all this makes sense. What it means is that those players who are using my current mod can continue to do so...while anyone who likes (or wants to try) Mauzi!'s superb work on re-balancing the ships in X2 will have access to it.

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”