SSG Mod w/Mauzi, now w/33 ships (incl/Star Wars) - V 0.2.7e1

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

private mofo
x2

Post by private mofo » Sun, 30. Jan 05, 21:36

Sorry turns out i am as blind as a bat, and when i read over it again i saw all i needed to see thanks
Dancing on the head of a pin is not a talent if the head of the pin is considerably larger then you........

private mofo
x2

Post by private mofo » Mon, 31. Jan 05, 19:27

i put all the files where you said to and opened a new game, but i can't seem to get the grendel or any other ships for that matter, nor can i get to the hidden sector in great reef..... :shock:

Please help :cry:

cheers alex
Dancing on the head of a pin is not a talent if the head of the pin is considerably larger then you........

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Mon, 31. Jan 05, 20:04

private mofo,

What version are you running? Unless you are using the "ship only" version, you should be able to check your "personal property", and see your HQ immediately after the game starts.

If that is not the case, then it sounds like the mod has not been activated prior to starting the game.

Let me know...I'm sure we can get you up and running :D

Creston
x3tc

Post by Creston » Tue, 1. Feb 05, 00:17

DeadlyDa,

This is probably a bit outside of the scope of your Mod, but is there any way to get JUST the ship models? Ie, to replace the ingame ones with yours, and that's it? What would that involve?

I could probably do the work myself, I just don't really know which files to extract from your Mod, and repack into a separate one.

I'm setting up my game for the expansion, and am not really that much in the mood to start over again. I also don't want to mod that particular game, since I'm afraid that a Modded save won't copy over into the expansion all that well.

I figured that if I could just get the game to use all the normal stats, but just draw those, may I say again, AWESOME models you've made, I would be a happy camper, and that should also be very easy to turn off for the expansion.

Just curious if that would be possible or not. If not, I'll just have to give your Mod a go from the start, and cheat myself some initial stuff to get going.

Thanks for your time :)

Creston

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Tue, 1. Feb 05, 03:47

...is there any way to get JUST the ship models? Ie, to replace the ingame ones with yours...
Well...yes. I could provide the ship models along with a "raw" TShip entry for each ship...but there are a few considerations that can make it challenging. (This is why I provide a "ship only" version of the mod, with the ships pre-loaded into the ship/dock yards in Great Reef.)

The basic requirement is to replace the ship model in the TShip entry you want to overlay, and then copy the turret and gun information.

With a bit of effort, this can be done by using Doubleshadow's X2 Editor. Copy the base TShips.txt file, and open the copy in DS's X2 Editor. Then open another X2 Editor window with the TShips from my mod. (I often use multiple X2 Editor windows, as it allows easy side by side comparison of TShip files.) Once you have both TShips open, scroll down to the entry in your (soon to be) new TShips that you want to replace, go over to the X2 Editor window with the replacement ship...and start copying information.

Like I said, at a minimum, you need to change the model, and alter the turret and gun entries.

Sorry if this isn't clear. If you decide to try it, and get stuck, feel free to PM me...Things are pretty crazy in RL at the moment, but I'll help if I can.

PS - I'm in the final round of testing of the next version of the original mod (0.1.3 ==> 0.1.4), which has the extra 3 Xenon ships that were released with 0.2.1 of the "Mauzi!" version. There are a couple of model alterations, a few new texture tweaks, and some more navigation lights on the ships. If you are going to go through the effort of using all 14 ships to replace existing X2 ships...it might make sense to wait for the latest version. I had hoped to release it on Sunday evening, but found a few problems that needed resolving. If RL allows, I should have it out in the next days or so.

private mofo
x2

Post by private mofo » Tue, 1. Feb 05, 08:38

deadly da
i am using the with wares version with all the files were you said to install them, but still i have nothing?

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Tue, 1. Feb 05, 19:12

...all the files were you said to install them, but still i have nothing?
OK...sounds like the mod is not being selected prior to starting X2.

Let me just verify a couple of things:

1) In your main X2 directory (the one with X2.exe), you should have a folder called /mods. Please veify that the .cat & .dat files for the mod are present.

2) When you click on the "Select Mod Packsge" button, prior to actually starting X2...do you see the mod listed...and are you then selecting the mod and then clicking on "OK"?

If the above two things have been done (especially #2), then when you look at your "Personal Property", in addition to your Argon Disco, you should see a Deadly Scout and the HQ.

Let me know what you find...

private mofo
x2

Post by private mofo » Wed, 2. Feb 05, 22:40

3 problems........

1 - When i download it from any of the links on this page all i get is one .rar file

2 - There is no mods folder in my x2 folder

3 - I tried making one and putting the fle in there......nothing
I tried putting it straight into my x2 folder ........still nothing

Please Help am I doing it wrong or something???

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 01:19

problems........

1 - When i download it from any of the links on this page all i get is one .rar file

2 - There is no mods folder in my x2 folder

3 - I tried making one and putting the fle in there......nothing
I tried putting it straight into my x2 folder ........still nothing
OK...are you unpacking the .rar? A .rar file is an archive, like a .zip...all the files & folders are in there, trust me :D

WinRar is shareware, and can be found at...
RarLabs, who own it:
http://www.rarlab.com/
...or Download.com:
http://www.download.com/3000-2250-10007677.html

Hmmm...I've got so many tools & utilities on my machine, I forget everyone doesn't have the same.

Tell you what, I'll also post a set of self-extracting Rar files...that way you can just click on the *.exe, and it will "automagically" unpack itself into the directory of your choice.

Creston
x3tc

Post by Creston » Thu, 3. Feb 05, 23:13

Thanks again for all your help DeadlyDa :)

Any word on your new version of the original Mod? I tried again with the Mauzi base, and I just don't like it. :|

Creston

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Fri, 4. Feb 05, 04:40

Creston.

I just posted it for download :D

Here is the thread with the links http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72388

Sorry it took so long, but I switched to using the .bob (binary) ship scene files to improve load times, and had to hack the files with a hexeditor to correct the rotation values of quite a few parts. What with 14 ships, and having to test each one...

The good news for those who do like the Mauzi! shipbalancing work, is that he has just published version 0.89...which I will be integrating into the next release of this mod (0.2.2) along with the new Xenon M1 & M2 models.

Creston
x3tc

Post by Creston » Sat, 5. Feb 05, 05:51

DeadlyDa wrote: Sorry it took so long
The LAST thing you have to do is apologize :D

Thanks for all your great work, I'm downloading now :)

Btw, your original mod has burianek's laser rebalance mod in it, right? Anything else besides that?

Creston

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sat, 5. Feb 05, 08:34

Btw, your original mod has burianek's laser rebalance mod in it, right? Anything else besides that?
That is true for the ShipOnly version. Just the ships and the original X2 map.

The Wares and NoWares versions have all the extra stuff (2 additional shield types, the new missle type, the Player HQ, custom shipyard and trading dock, and the expanded universe.)

The links for the original version are here... http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72388

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sat, 5. Mar 05, 06:44

Major update...Beta 0.2.2 now available for download.

Added 3 new custom ship models; an M6 class, based loosely on the Marquis Raider, that replaces the Argon Centaur, and completely original replacements for the Xenon M1 and M2. Check the screenshots above for a look at the new ships.

I also switched to .bob (binary) scene files in the /cut folder for faster loading. The .bod files are still available in a sub-directory of the /cut folder. Includes a minor cleane up on some textures textures, some weapons tweaked, and I added a few cosmetics to existing ships (position lights, etc).

After the new ships, the most important upgrade is the move to version 0.89 of Mauzi's Ship Balancing mod. This is a major improvement over 0.83...give it a try.

Amon RAy (RAider.EG)
x2

Post by Amon RAy (RAider.EG) » Sat, 5. Mar 05, 09:50

Hi!

Cool designes :)...
really nice work in MAX!!!...my respect ;)

yeaah...maybe I should restyle big ship in my mod too?...

I cant get out of my head this idea since I first time read this topic....)..

but I think - new ships must be more optimized, that the original... CapShips - major factor of game performance - they have a really big scenes with a really big quantity of poligons...

the rule "less polygons - more speed" - the main rule of game 3d....we must keep it in mind when we make mods and models :)...
because X2TT have a ....khm....need for speed)...

so...we can make less poly, but very cool models - and it will work faster...

I`ll try it :)...
Sed tamen potest esse totaliter aliter.(Lat.)

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sat, 5. Mar 05, 16:17

so...we can make less poly, but very cool models - and it will work faster...
My thoughts exactly :D

Still, it is a challenge to do cool "big" ships without getting carried away on the poly count :roll:

What sort of poly counts (3dMax Face Count) do you generally run?

The Xenon M2 is the most complex model I have in the mod, with a 3dMax "face count" of around 9,000. The Sulaco M2 is only 4,500, and the TL Cetus is less than 6,000. All the others are very close to 7,000.

I have found that if I can keep the 3dMax face count down to around 7,000, the models load and render very quickly in X2. While, I have not expierencd any lag/slow-down with the higher-poly Xenon M2, I do have a reasonably high-spec machine...and I want to make sure that the people who use my mod won't have any performance issues.

Like most of us who are into modding, I started out (seems like ages ago) using a text editor to make giant flagships, but the graphics performance on low-spec machines was terrible.
In fact, the poor performance of most "big ships" in X2 was one of the reasons I decided to take up 3dMax :lol:

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Sat, 5. Mar 05, 21:16

This is one cool ship people take alook at picture to see what makes it above averagly cool

[ external image ]

And it kicks Ass aswell!
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

Amon RAy (RAider.EG)
x2

Post by Amon RAy (RAider.EG) » Sun, 6. Mar 05, 12:27

In 3dsMax my models is similar in poligons counts to your models.
figthers in range of 5000, TPs - 6000, TSs - 7000.

another information, I think you`ll glad to see:

the engine igths - not trail jets, but ligths, they dont represent in ship scene, game-engine himself adding it on-fly, in Tships you can only set their color - if we remove it (-1 on their position in TShips) - game will work much faster.
(another thing - on my radeon I have some bugs with it...sometimes I can see this ligths througth the ship hull... :lol: )
Sed tamen potest esse totaliter aliter.(Lat.)

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sun, 13. Mar 05, 03:25

Beta 0.2.2a now available for download. This is a minor update, adding a new M2 model - the Argon Charon (Ferryman of the Dead). It replaces the Titan. I haven't tried to balance the weapons on it yet, but several people asked for it "as is". Sooo...what you get instead of the Titan is 28 guns (4 front lasers, 6 4-laser turrets), a slightly expanded cargo capacity, 600Mw of shielding (3x200Mw), and a measly 13 external docking ports...oh yeah, and a VERY big ship. (If you decide to "fly" it through a gate instead of "jumping", make sure you center it and then aim a little high...it does fit!)

I left the previous version (0.2.2) online, so those who worry about the heavy loadout on the new Argon M2.

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sun, 13. Mar 05, 19:07

I just uploaded Beta 0.2.2b - Very minor update; changed the texture on the new Argon Charon (M2). No need to restart, the new textures will get picked-up the 1st time you go through a jump gate.

I still need to "de-tune" the weapon loadout, but I'll do that in a future release.

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”